header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Unity Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Unity Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   


UNITY ASSOCIATION

This association was constituted on Friday, November 20, 1891, with Bethel Church, Young County. Following are the churches and their messengers that were in the constitution: Mt. Olive Church, Palo Pinto County, Elder W.H. Swindell and Brethren James Emberlin and A.P. Bolden; Little Flock Church, Stephens County, Brethren W.E. Malone, J.L. Norwood and W.P. Hall; Providence Church, Stephens County, Brethren George W. Tompkins and J.L. Williams; Bethel Church, Young County, Elder D.W. Russell and Brethren A.D. Billingsley, S.H. Harris and J.S. Word; New Mount Zion Church, Young County, Elder L.D. Barnhart and Brethren A.J. McCan and A.J. Gibson.

G.W. Tompkins was moderator of the convention when the association was constituted, and A.J. Gibson, clerk.

The association had 5 churches and 107 members; contribution, $13.50.

1892 The association met this year with Mt. Olive Church, Palo Pinto County, on Saturday before the first Sunday in 3uly.

The minutes does not state that any one preached an introductory sermon but says, "After prayer by Brother Hickhah, the association was organized by the former moderator." Elected G.W. Tompkins, moderator, and D.M. Higgins, clerk.

The association this year had 5 churches and 106 members: contribution, $12.50.

1893 The association met this year with New Mount Zion Church, Young County, on Saturday, July lSto The association was called to order by the moderator, G.W. Tompkins, prayer by Elder J.S. Woods.

The association this year had 5 churches and 95 members; contribution, $13.00.

1894 The association convened this year with Little Flock Church, Stephens County, on Saturday, June 30th. The association was called to order by W.P. Hall, prayer by Elder J.S. Woods. W.P. Hall was elected moderator, and D.M. Higgins, clerk.

Little Flock Church, Knox County, by her messengers, Elders G.W. Burns and J.S. Woods, was received.

The association this year had 6 churches and 104 members; contribution, $13.50.

1895 The association met this year with Little Flock Church No. 2, Knox County, on Saturday, August 3rd. The association was called to order by Brother G.W. Tompkins, prayer by Elder D.W. Russell. Brother G.W. Tompkins was elected moderator, and J.J. Hand, clerk.

Enon Church, Knox County, by her messengers, Elder J.C. Lewis and E.E. Taylor was received.

Correspondence was continued with Old Harmony, New Harmony and Bosque River Associations.

Correspondence was solicited with Salem Association, and Elders J.S. Woods and D.W. Russell agreed to go as messengers.

The association this year had 7 churches and 118 members; contribution, $11.50.

1896 The association met this year with Bethel Church, Young County, July 31 and August 1, 2 and 3. The introductory sermon was preached by C.A. Russell, which is the first record of an introductory sermon. George W. Tompkins was chosen moderator, and I.W. Steele, clerk.

Correspondence was received from New and Old Harmony Associations.

At this time, the association had 7 churches and 119 members; contribution, $12.25.

1897 This year the association convened with Mt. Olive Church, Palo Pinto County, July 30, 31 and August 1. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder H.L. Collings. Brother G.W. Tompkins was elected moderator, and I.W. Steele, clerk.

Correspondence was received and returned from New Harmony and Salem Associations. Correspondence was asked for from Village Creek Association.

"On motion, it was agreed that the moderator should appoint a committee to meet in council with New Harmony Association to adjust certain matters in regard to receiving churches with whom we are not in fellowship."

The association this year had 6 churches and 93 members; contribution, $8.50.

1898 The association met this year with New Mt. Zion Church, Young County, on Friday, August 5th. The first sermon was preached by Elder D.W. Russell. G.W. Tompkins was made moderator, and I.W. Steele, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Salem, Village Creek, New and Old Harmony Associations.

The committee appointed to meet the New Harmony Association was given until next year to make its report.

"It was agreed to send a committee to labor with Mt. Olive Church and report to the next association." This was indeed a grave mistake on the part of Unity Association. The association has no right to appoint a committee to labor with a church.

This year the association had 5 churches and 80 members; contribution, $9.50.

1899 The association convened this year with Little Flock Church, Stephens County, August 4, 5 and 6. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder S.R. Woods. J.J. Hand was elected moderator, and J.M. Rogers, clerk.

The committee appointed to meet the New Harmony Association made its report. "We, the committee, appointed by this association in 1897 to meet in council with New Harmony Association beg leave to submit the following report: We met with New Harmony Association. We were requested by the moderator to not bring an accusation against them, that it would cause confusion, that they held the same against us and he suggested that we call a general council to settle the matter, to both of which we agreed. Next morning when we met, they discontinued correspondence with us. J.S. Woods and J.J. Hand."

Correspondence was continued with Old Harmony, Salem, Bosque River and Village Creek Associations.

The association had only 4 churches and 101 members; contribution, $8.25.

1900 The association met this year with Little Flock Church No. 2, Knox County, August 3, 4 and 5. The first sermon was preached by Elder Thomas Clark; elected J.J. Hand, moderator, and J.M. Rogers, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elder J.W. Segler; Village Creek by Elder Thomas Clark.

"By request, New Mt. Zion and Enon Churches were dismissed from the body."

Correspondence was received and returned with Duffau Association.

The association this year had 6 churches and 107 members; contribution, $9.50.

1901 The association met this year with Little Flock Church No. 2, Knox County, September 20, 21 and 22. Elder W.H. Richards preached the introductory sermon. J.J. Hand was chosen moderator, and J.M. Rogers, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Village Creek Association by Elder B.L. Throneberry and Brother Crawford; from Duffau by Elder W.H. Richards.

The association this year had 2 churches and 40 members; contribution, $7.50.

1902 This year the association convened with Little Flock Church No. 1, Stephens County, August 1, 2 and 3. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Richards. J.J. Hand was chosen moderator, and J.M. Rogers, clerk.

Bethlehem Church, Haskell County, through her messengers, Brother J.H. Lea and Elder W.H. Richards was received.

Correspondence was received from Village Creek, Old Harmony, Duffau and West Providence Associations.

The association this year had 3 churches and 60 members; contribution, $7.00.

1903 The association met this year with Bethlehem Church, Haskell County, July 31 and August 1 and 2. The first sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Richards. J.J. Hand was chosen moderator, and J.M. Rogers, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony Association by Elder A.P. Koen; minutes from Salem; from Duffau through H.H. Matthews; from West Providence through Elders J.B. Downing, S.L. Rives and J.A. Moore.

Number of churches and members not given; contribution,$9.00.

1904 The association met this year with Bethlehem Church, Haskell County, August 5, 6 and 7. Elder D.W.Russell preached the introductory sermon. J.J. Hand was moderator, and Dr. J.H. Lea, clerk.

Harmony Church, Jones County, by her messengers, T.W. Rowland, T.H. Baucum and A.W. Miller was received; also Ephesus Church, Haskell County, by her messengers, W.P. McCarty, A.J. Thompson and W.J. Evans, was received.

Correspondence was received from West Providence Association by Elder J.A. Goodwin; from Duffau Association by Elders B.J. Driver, J.S. Newman and Brother J.M. Head; from Old Harmony Association by Elder A.P. Koen. Correspondence was returned.

The association this year had 4 churches and 78 members; contribution, $10.50.

1905 The association convened this year with Little Flock Church, Stephens County, August 4, 5 and 6. Elder W.H. Richards preached the introductory sermon, who was chosen moderator; J.F. Kilgore, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Duffau through Elder J.M. Creel and Brother J.J. Morgan; West Providence, Elder William Lagow; Salem by minutes. Correspondence was returned to all the associations.

This association had 4 churches and 109 members; contribution, $9.50.

In 1906, the association had 5 churches, 115 members, 5 ordained ministers; contribution, $12.25.


LITTLE FLOCK CHURCH

Little Flock Church was organized November 29, 1880 at the residence of Sister S.M. Hall near Harpersville, Stephens County, by Elder J.S. Meeks and Deacon A. Adams, with the following members: Joshua Teague, S.E. Teague, W.P. Hall, L.M. Hall and E.M. McMinn.

Elder T.A. Waldrip was called to the pastoral care of the church. He also joined the church by letter in February 1881, and was dismissed by letter in 1892. Elder D.W. Russell was then called and served the church until January 1898, when Elder L.D. Barnhart was called and served until January 1900, when Elder H.L. Collings was called. In 1901, Elder Collings joined the church by letter from Union Grove Church, Erath County.

In April 1903, Elder D.M. Sawyer joined the church by letter from Smyrna Church, Collin County. In January 1903, Elder Sawyer was called to the care of the church. In March 1903, Elder H.L. Collings was dismissed by letter.

August 5, 1905, J.J. Hand was ordained to the ministry by Elders D.W. Russell, W.H. Richards, J.W. Bragg of Alabama, William Lagow, S.R. Woods, J.M. Creel, J.A. Goodwin, C.A. Russell and D.M. Sawyer.

This church first joined Brazos River Association, now Salem Association, afterwards procuring a letter of dismission from Salem, and was in the constitution of Unity Association and is still a member of that body.

Elder J.J. Hand is the present pastor.


BETHLEHEM CHURCH

Bethlehem Church was constituted March 29, 1902, at Cliff, Haskell County, by Elders H.L. Collings, W.H. Richards, J.C. Lewis and Deacon R.L. Johnson, with the following members: J.H. Lea, V.A. Lea, Mary Lea and Mittie L. Richards.

After the church was organized, Elder W.H. Richards joined the church by letter from Bosque Church, in Erath County, Texas. He was then called to the care of the church and still serves in that capacity.

The church joined the Unity Association in 1902, and is still a member of said body.


HARMONY CHURCH

Harmony Church was constituted April 16, 1904, near Anson, Jones County, by Elders William Lagow, W.H. Richards and J.A. Goodwin, with the following members: T.W. Rowland and wife, E.I. Rowland, W.J. Berryman and wife, L. Miller and T.H. Baucum.

Elder J.A. Goodwin was called to the care of the church at the time it was organized and is still serving the church. He also joined the church by letter from Neinda Church, now Concord, in November 1904.

The church is a member of the Unity Association.


EPHESUS CHURCH

Ephesus Church was constituted June 28, 1904, at a schoolhouse near the residence of Wash McCarty's in Haskell County, by Elders W.H. Richards, J.A. Goodwin and Deacon J.H. Lea, with the following members: M.F. Scott, A.J. Thompson and wife, Wash P. McCarty and wife, and W.J. Evans.

Elder J.A. Goodwin was chosen to the pastoral care of the church at the time it was constituted.

In August 1904, the church joined Unity Association.


PRIMITIVE CHURCH

Primitive Church was constituted on Saturday before the second Sunday in February 1906, in Munday, Knox County, by Elders W.H. Richards, J.S. Woods and C.M. Monk, with the following members: L.C. Floyd, H.R. Biggs, C.B. Goodwin, Minnie Goodwin, D.W. Wadlington, Anna Wadlington, G.A. Wadlington, A.W. Miller and wife.

Elder W.H. Richards is the pastor of the church.


MT. OLIVE CHURCH

Mt. Olive Church was constituted August 30, 1902, near Aspermont, Stonewall County, by Elders William Lagow, J.R. Bolinger and S.L. Rives, with the following members: J.W. Eaton and wife, J.M.V. Bullock and wife, and Elder J.B. Craft.

The church called Elder Rives to serve it. The church has not had regular preaching, and has never joined any association. This was the first church organized in the county.

As this church is in the bounds of the Unity Association, I have thought proper to insert it in connection with that body.

Last Updated ( Thursday, 26 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.