header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Chamber's Creek Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Chamber's Creek Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

Chamber's Creek Association

This association was constituted at Solomon's Temple, Ellis County, on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in August 1901. Following are the churches in the organization: Concord, Ellis County; Chambers Creek, Ellis County; Mount Zion, Ellis County (the association was organized with this church); Mt. Zion (this church was also in Ellis County, near Ennis); Mt. Peak, Ellis County; Pleasant Hill, Antioch and Roane.

The first discourse was preached by Elder A.F. Grafton. Elder J.A. Paine was elected moderator, and Elder A.F. Grafton, Clerk.

The association adopted the following resolution: "We believe the time has fully come that forbearance ceases to be virtue, as regards the further recognition of those holding to the doctrine of predestination of all things both good and evil that come to pass, the nonresurrection, and two seed doctrine, together with those holding to and affilliation with the secret institutions of men. Therefore we declare non-fellowship with them."

The association had 8 churches and 138 members; committee on finance reported $13.25.

1902 The association met this year with Chambers Creek Church, July 18, 19 and 20. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.A. Paine, who was chosen moderator, and Elder A.F. Grafton, clerk.

Mt. Carmel Church, Henderson County, through her messengers, J.P. Halbert and B.F. Davis; also Providence Church, Dallas County, by her messenger, T.A. Johnson were received into the association.

The association received correspondence from Hill County Association by her messengers, Elder E.R. Robinson, J.J.

Johnson and B.D. Owen. The association agreed to return the Hill County correspondence and petition correspondence with Village Creek, Pilot Grove, Little Flock, Primitive Baptist and Red River Associations.

The association this year had 10 churches and 160 members; contribution, $13.15.

1903 This year the association convened with Antioch Church, Kaufman County, July 17, 18 and 19. The introductory sermon was delivered by Elder E.R. Robinson; Elder A.F. Grafton was elected moderator, and W.W. Bennett, clerk.

Correspondence was received from the following associations: Pilot Grove, Elders J.H. Gotcher and Albert Webb; Hill County, by Elder E.R. Robinson and B.D. Owens. Received minutes from Village Creek and Red River Associations. Agreed to return correspondence to all the above associations.

The association agreed to substitute the resolution of non-fellowship as embodied in the minutes of the first session of this association with the following: "Resolved that we will not hold in fellowship any church holding any member in her body who belongs to any of the following institutions: Theological school, state conventions, missionary societies, tract societies, temperance societies, Sunday school unions, Masons, Odd Fellows or any other secret institutions of men."

The association this year had 10 churches and 201 members; committee on finance reported $13.70.

1904 This year the association convened with Mt. Carmel Church, Henderson County, August 26, 27 and 28. Elder H.C. Marcum preached the introductory sermon and was chosen moderator, Elder A.F. Grafton was chosen clerk.

Petitionary letters were received from Mill Creek Church and Little Flock Church, Van Zandt County, through their messengers, Elder J.D. Hollis, W.J. Hollis and E.P. Seals.

Correspondence was received by minutes from Primitive Baptist Association through W.T. Meadows; Hill County, through her messengers, W.C. Thomason, Elder J.M. Creel and J. Roberts; from Pilot Grove by minutes.

The association passed the following resolution: "Resolved that we will not hold in fellowship any brother or sister who belongs to any secret institution of the day, such as Masonry, Odd Fellows or anything else either charitable or religious, not authorized by the word of God."

The association this year had 6 ordained ministers, 10 churches and 161 members; committee on finance reported $9.00 for minutes and $8.50 for visiting ministers.

1905 This year the association convened with Providence Church, Dallas County, August 25, 26 and 27. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder H.C. Marcum. Elder A.F. Grafton was elected moderator, and W.W. Bennett, clerk.

Minutes were received from Primitive Baptist Association; from Hill County, by the hand of her messenger, W.C. Thomason; Pilot Grove by T.L. Webb. Correspondence returned.

This association had 4 ordained ministers, 9 churches and 166 members; contribution, $19.00.

In 1906 the association had six churches and 171 members and four ordained ministers; contribution, $12.75.


ANTIOCH CHURCH

Antioch Church was constituted August 29, 1881, in Kaufman County, by Elders J.W. Humphreys, J.R. Parker, Samuel Croy, William Lagow, 3.M. Humphreys, W.H. Bennett and J.M. Balcoh, with the following members: A.M. Hobson, Charlie Carter, Caroline Guynes, N.M. Guynes, M.A. and K.G.A. Lasater and Thomas Carter.

The following ministers have had the pastoral care of the church: J.W. Humphreys, William Lagow, A.M. Hobson, J.S. Collins, K.F. Polk, J.H. Gotcher, B.F. Casey and H.C. Marcum, who is their present pastor.

The church is a member of Chambers Creek Association.


PROVIDENCE CHURCH

Providence Church was constituted May 22, 1886, near Mesquite, in Dallas County, by Elders M. Hobson, W. Humphreys, F. Odom, C.W. Harris, Samuel Oroy, William Lagow and Deacons M. Humphreys and William Denton, with the following members: H. Bennett, Sarah Bennett, W. Hardy Bennett, Sydney Bennett, Sarah Teeter, Lewis Croy, Elza troy and Elder Samuel Croy from Ohio.

According to the church records, the church had no regular pastor till August 1895. Elders Lagow, Bach, Oroy, Hobson, Polk, Collings, Harrell, Harris and Humpheys preached occasionally for the church. In August 1895, Elder B.F. Oasey was called and served them faithfully till his death.

On June 7, 1902, H.C. Marcum was ordained to the ministry by Elders J.W. Segler and Willie Barrett, since which time Elder Marcum has been pastor of the church.


CHAMBERS CREEK CHURCH

Chambers Creek Church was constituted in 1890, at Bush College, in Ellis County, by Elders J.A. Paine and J.B. Vann, with the following members: J.C. Dean, J.W. Bankston, J.B. Holbert, T.J. Tinery, Isabell Dean, Evaline Bankston, Levina Holbert and Rachel Hart.

Elder J.B. Vann served the church until his death, in 1895. About the time Elder Vann died, Elder A.F. Grafton joined the church by letter and has served ever since.


MOUNTAIN PEAK CHURCH

Mountain Peak Church was organized October 20, 1894, at Mountain Peak in Ellis County, by Elders J.A. Paine, H.C. Hogan of Tennessee, R.H. Parish, and Deacon J.H. Oliver, with the following members: W.S. Teague and wife, Martha Teague, J.S. Saunders and wife, C.E. Saunders, R.C. Wilson and wife, M.A. Wilson, H.W. Kilgore and wife, D. Kilgore, J.A. Phillips, S.A. Phillips, Elder J.A. Paine and wife, S.A. Paine.

Elder J.A. Paine was called to the care of the church at the time it was constituted, in which capacity he served until 1899, when S.B. Kuykendall was called and served until January 1901.

S.A. Paine was ordained to the ministry August 13, 1898, at the Village Creek Association by Elders J.K. Gotcher, J.H. Fisher, W.L. Dubose. J.A. Paine, G.R. Hathcock, B.L. Throneberry, S.B. Kuykendall, J.M. Creel, R.A. Biggs, H.L. Collings, W.H. Bodine, T.E. Harrison, J.R. Hardy, H.L. Griggs, B.F. Casey and Thomas Clark.

Thomas Clark was chosen pastor in September 1892, and served a short while when Elder S.B. Kuykendall was again called and is the present pastor.


ROANE CHURCH

Roane Church was constituted August 23, 1896, at a schoolhouse of the same name, in Navarro County, by Elder D.D. Wright, William Tippet and I.R. Perry, with the following members: Shade Conner, S. Neal, William Randall and Sister Randall and S.H. Hart.

Elder D.D. Wright was called to the pastoral care of the church at its constitution and served until September, when Elder L.J. Gresham joined the church by letter and was called to the care of the church, in which capacity he served until February 1899, when Elder A.F. Grafton was called and served until 1900. In August 1900, J.R. Hardy was called to the care of the church. Soon after J.R. Hardy was called, the church was thrown into confusion over the extent of predestination. He being an unlimited predestinarian. In May 1901, the church divided over predestination of all things, seven against the doctrine and four for it. In this division, Elder J.R. Hardy recognized the four as the church proper.

In September 1902, Elder A.F. Grafton was called to the care of this church and served until April 1906, when by request, the church was dissolved by Elders A.F. Grafton, Willie Phillips and Deacon M.S. Hux.


SOLOMON'S TEMPLE CHURCH

Solomon's Temple Church was constituted September 19, 1890 in Ellis County, by Elders R.H. Parish, S.B. Kuykendall and A.F. Grafton, with the following members: Jesse N. Webb, Mary C. Webb, Laura McCarter, Jack Dearing, P.A. Butler, J.W. Hudson and Ruthy Hudson.

The name of this church was Mt. Zion, but was afterwards changed to its present name.

Elder Kuykendall was called to the care of the church at the time it was constituted and is still the pastor.


MT. CARMEL CHURCH

Mt. Carmel Church was organized May 3, 1902, at the residence of B.F. Davis, near Eustace in Henderson County, by Elders E.R. Robinson, A.F. Grafton, J.B. Boxley and Deacons L.M. Cook and J.W. Purefoy, with the following members: B.F. Davis, J.P. Halbert, M.V. Halbert, R.M. Davis and M.J. Davis.

Elders Robinson and Grafton served the church until February 1903, at which time Elder H.C. Marcum was chosen. In March 1905, Elder J.D. Hollis was called in connection with Elder Marcum.

Last Updated ( Thursday, 26 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.