header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Duffau Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Duffau Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

DUFFAU ASSOCIATION

1899 This Association was organized September 01, 1899, with Bosque Church in Erath County, with the following churches: Ebenezer, Erath County, messengers: Elder B.J. Driver, W.B. Haney and W.L. King; Union Grove, Erath County, messengers, T.J. Chenault, J.H. Dancer and T.S. Lee; Bosque, Erath County, T.E. Rucker, G.W. Hooper and A.L. Lindsey; Damascus, Erath County, G.W. Gillentine, H. Brumley and W.J. Petty; Providence, Erath County, J.D. Austin, J.B. Garrett and Elder H.L. Coilings; Bethel, Bosque County, G.W. Anderson, J.J. Morgan and J.M. Roberts; Corinth, Erath County, J.A. Reid, J.M. Brown and G.W. Mauldin, Mineral Springs, Somervell County, R.L. Hampton, J.O. Soapes and L.J. Strick-land.

The churches composing this association were all from the Old and New Harmony Associations, except Mineral Springs, which was from Village Creek Association. Elder B.J. Driver was elected moderator, and R.L. Hampton, clerk.

The association agreed to correspond with Unity, Old and New Harmony, Little Flock, Friendship, Bosque River, Pilot Grove and Hill County Associations.

The association had 8 churches and 258 members; contribution, $10.50.

1900 The association this year convened with Providence Church, August 31 and September 01 and 02. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.R. McCarty; Elder B.J. Driver, moderator, and W.H. Richards, clerk.

Little Hope Church of Erath County, by her messengers, J.G. Yarborough and T.S. Lee, was received.

The association this year had 8 churches and 216 members; contribution, $11.30.

1901 The association this year met with Union Grove Church, August 30, 31 and September 01. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder H.L. Collings; Elder B.J. Driver, moderator, and W.H. Richards, clerk.

Philadelphia Church of Erath County, by her messengers, M. Pruitt, C.D. Bishop and J.L. Neely, was received. Correspondence was received from Unity Association. "Motion and second that Corinth Church be dropped from the association for as much as she has declared non-fellowship for Bosque Church. There was a resolution offered to declare non-fellowship for the doctrine of the absolute predestination of all things, that we will not allow those who preach it publicly or privately, to occupy our stand."

Corinth Church declared non-fellowship for Bosque Church for receiving a sister who had a living husband. (See history of Bosque Church for particulars.)

The association had 9 churches and 215 members; contribution, $11.15.

1902 The association this year convened with Damascus Church, September 05, 06 and 07. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.W. Poe; Elder B.J. Driver, moderator, and J.S. Newman, clerk.

Prairie View Church, Somervell County, by her messenger, Elder J.M. Creel, was received.

Correspondence was received from the Unity Association by the hands of J.J. Hand and W.L. Cooper.

The association had 10 churches, 247 members; contribution, $15.50.

1903 The association this year met with Mineral Springs Church, August 14, 15 and 16. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.S. Newman; Elder B.J. Driver, moderator, and J.S. Newman, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Hill County Association by Elder E.R. Robinson and J.J. Johnson.

The association had 10 churches 203 members; contribution, $12.75.

1904 The association this year convened with Philadelphia Church in Erath County, August 19, 20 and 21. Elder B.J. Driver preached the first sermon, who was also chosen moderator, and J.S. Newman, clerk.

The association this year had 10 churches and 268 members; contribution, $13.75.

1905 The association this year met with Prairie View Church, August 18, 19 and 20. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.S. Newman. Elder B.J. Driver was moderator and J.S. Newman, clerk.

Sabana Church near DeLeon, Comanche County, by her messengers, Elder C.P. Galloway, W.J. Waldrip and L.S. Hodges; also Lone Pilgrim at Chalk Mountain, Erath County by her messengers, A.H. Roden, B.A. and J.L. Collings were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from the Unity Association by Elder W.H. Richards and W.W. Garrett; J.J. Johnson and J.A. Reid from the Hill County Association; J.T. Chaney, D. Harris, Willie Harris and J.S. Gibson from the Old Harmony Association. Elder R.A. Biggs was seated in the association from the Pilot Grove Association; Elder S.B. Kuykendall from the Chambers Creek Association; Elder T.R. Allen from the Little Flock Association.

The association had 12 churches, 189 members; contribution, $16.75.

The two churches that joined the association at this session failed to give the number of their membership.

In 1906, the association had 13 churches, 355 members, 9 ordained preachers, 4 licentiates; contribution, $18.50.


BOSQUE CHURCH

Bosque Church was constituted on Saturday before the third Sunday in July 1859 in Erath County, on the headwaters of the Bosque River, in a house that was previously occupied by a family, but on the account of the hostility of the Indians, was at the time of the constitution of the church, unoccupied as a residence. Elders Henry Hurley and C.D. Skidmore and Deacon J.M. McCarty organized this church with the following members: Chesley Turnbow, H.B. Gotcher, Thomas Havens, John S. Boucher, William Martin, William Gilbreth, William Mefford, C.A. Roberts, Sabbry Turnbow, Gracy Turnbow, Rachel Cain, Emily Gotcher, Elizabeth Boucher, Amanda M. Martin, Susan Martin, Elizabeth Burnett, A.F. Burnett, Nancy Gilbreth, Lucy Mefford, M.J. Roberts, Nancy McCarty, M.A. Hollis, Deby Hurley and C. Manney.

Elder H. Hurley served the church till 1870, when Elders D.W. Russell and J.S. Meeks were called jointly to the pastoral care of the church. In October 1876, Elder T.N. Buchanan was called.

In January 1878, C.B. Caudle was ordained to the ministry by Elders J.S. Meeks, D.W. Russell, C.A. Russell and Deacons J.A. Harris, J.H. Burnett and I.R. Meisenheimer.

From 1876 till 1887, Elders D.W. Russell and C.A. Russell served the church. In January 1887, Elder R.A. Biggs was called to the pastoral care of the church.

In the records of this church for September 1891, I find the following item: "Inasmuch as our pastor, Elder R.A. Biggs, has been reported as being a strife sower, causing confusion, denying predestination, preaching Arminianism, we take this method of denouncing the report as false." In January 1892, the church unanimously passed the following resolution: "Whereas there is being propagated among us in some places, a doctrine that we believe to be detrimental to the peace and fellowship of our churches in general, such charging our sins and the wickedness of this world to God's holy decrees or that sin and its results are the fruits of God's immediate predestination, such expressions and affirmations we believe have always gendered strife and confusion and are calculated in the nature to mar the peace and fellowship of Primitive Baptists wherever proclaimed to any extent, and believing such unwarranted and unsustainable by the scriptures, we therefore declare that such doctrine shall not be preached from our pulpit. 2nd Resolved that in entering this our solemn protest against the above doctrine, we do not wish to prescribe those who hold and publish the same, but we do so in the fear of God and for the peace and well being of our brotherhood. Elder S.N. Stephens who is an ardent defender of the doctrine non-fellowshiped in the above resolution, visited the church and preached for her in August 1893."

J.R. McCarty was ordained to the ministry October 2, 1897 by Elders R.A. Biggs, J.B. Donathan, B.J. Driver and Deacons A.B. Keith, N.L. Cain and H.H. Maxwell, and in December following, he was chosen pastor of the church. In November 1899, he was dismissed by letter, and in December 1899, J.S. Newman was called to the pastoral care of the church. In November, Elder W.H. Richards joined the church and was soon called to the care of the church. At the time the Duffau Association was constituted with this church, Sister Alice Braughton (nee Mrs. Upshaw) (nee Miss Jones) was received by the church and baptized by Elder R.A. Biggs, which caused a friction between Ephesus Church at DeLeon, which was a member of New Harmony Association. Ephesus Church had excluded Brother J.N. Braughton for marrying Sister Upshaw, who had a living husband. Finally, hoping to satisfactorily adjust this matter, Bosque Church called upon churches of Village Creek and Little Flock Associations to send messengers to meet with Bosque Church in council on Saturday, August 3, 1901. The church agreed to abide the decision of the council, which she did. The committee that was present from the New Harmony Association was requested to make their statement in full regarding the matter, which they did, after which Bosque Church submitted her testimony before the council and after due consideration, the following is the findings of the council: "We, the undersigned members of the Primitive Baptist Churches to serve as a council with Bosque Primitive Baptist Church of Christ, being a member of Duffau Association, holding a member, Sister Alice Braughton in fellowship who is charged by Ephesus and other churches of New Harmony Association, of living in adultery in that she is married to Brother J.N. Braughton and having at the same time another living husband. We, the members of said council, after hearing all the evidence adduced find that Bosque Church is scripturally justifiable in holding Sister Braughton in fellowship, for the reason that her former husband (Upshaw) was a fornicator, and this too was known by her (Sister Upshaw) prior to her marriage to Brother Braughton. Elders William Guess, Thomas Clark and Deacon J.J. Stephens, Councilmen."

Just after the above council meeting, Elder W.H. Richards was dismissed by letter and Elder R.A. Biggs was called. Elder J.W. Poe joined the church by letter from Damascus Church who also served the church a short while, when Elder J.M. Creel, who is its present pastor, was called.

This is the first Old Baptist Church organized in Erath County, it is the mother and grandmother of many churches. It is one of the largest churches in the Duffau Association.


LITTLE HOPE CHURCH

Little Hope Church was constituted in June 1875, at the Gilbreth Schoolhouse, six miles northwest of Stephenville, in Erath County, by Elder J.S. Meeks and Deacon J.H. Burnett with the following members: J.G. Yarbrough and wife, J.S. Boucher, E. Boucher and A.E. Martin.

Elder T.N. Buchanan served the church from its constitution till 1879, when Elder E.M. Caudle was called and served till July 1889, at which time Elder A.G. Hudspeth was called and continued his pastoral work until August 1891, when Elder E.M. Caudle was again chosen as pastor. Since Elder Caudle's death, Elders J.W. Poe and W.H. Richards have had the care of the church alternately. At present the church has no ordained ministry to serve it. J.H. Boucher who is a licentiate, preaches occasionally for the church.

The church first joined the Bosque River Association, but is now a member of the Duffau Association.


DAMASCUS CHURCH

Damascus Church was organized May 24, 1879, two miles west of Alexander, Erath County, by Elders W.C. Burks, W.S. Harris, L.W. Harvey, M.H. Hutchison and Deacons T. Harris and B. Harvey, with eleven members, viz: J.B. Taylor, R.A. Biggs, Kisah Biggs, M.N. Caudle, Amanda Caudle, G.W. Caudle, Lavina Caudle, M.E. Keith, A. Caraway, M.A. Springer and J.B. Cowan. The majority of these members were from Shiloh Church, Comanche County.

Elder R.A. Biggs was ordained to the full work of the ministry January 24, 1880 by Elders W.S. Harris and Frank Loden.

This church was in the constitution of Harmony Association, which occurred July 11, 1879.

On August 14, 1880, Elder J.B. Taylor was ordained to the ministry by Elders W.C. Burks, W.S. Harris, S.W. Harvey, M.H. Hutchison, F. Loden and R.A. Biggs.

This church is now a member of Duffau Association.


MINERAL SPRINGS CHURCH

Mineral Springs Church was constituted the 5th Sunday in May 1886, four miles north of Glen Rose, Somervell County, by Elders Wilson Hefner and W.L. Rogers, with the following three members: J.O. Soapes and wife, Rebecca Soapes, and Fannie May.

Elder W.L. Rogers was called to the pastoral care of the church, in which capacity he served till August 1893. Elder R.A. Biggs accepted the care of the church and served till September 1897, when Elders H.L. Collings and J.R. McCarty were called jointly and served till November 1899, when Elder J.S. Newman was called.

Elder James Stinnett joined the church by letter in January 1900. Elder J.S. Newman joined the church by letter from Bethel Church in Bell County in March 1900.

Elder B.J. Driver served the church one year. Elder J.E. Lackey is the present pastor of the church.

The church first joined the Village Creek Association, but is now a member of the Duffau Association. The church at present, 1906, has 50 members and a nice house of her own in which to worship God. This is the first Primitive Baptist Church constituted in the county.


PROVIDENCE CHURCH

Providence Church was constituted June 29, 1889, at Evergreen Schoolhouse, in Erath County, by Elders W.S. Harris, Henry Archer and E.M. Caudle with the following members: Elder R.A. Biggs and wife, Sarah Biggs, C. Connally, M. Hurley, J.B. Garrett and G.K. Driskill.

Elder R.A. Biggs was chosen pastor of the church at the time it was organized and served till December 1896. In June 1891, the church passed a resolution against the predestination of all things. (See history of Bosque Church for resolutions.)

A.J. Gilbreth was ordained to the ministry in August 1889 by Elders T.A. Waldrip, E.M. Caudle and Deacons J.N. Hamrick and A.B. Keith. B.J. Driver was ordained to the ministry in October 1894 by Elders R.A. Biggs, E.M. Caudle and Deacons J.N. Hamrick, J.H. Burnett, J.E. Alexander and A.H. Reeder. Elder Driver was dismissed by letter in December 1898. H.L. Collings was ordained to the ministry in September 1895 by Elders B.J. Driver, R.A. Biggs and Deacons H.H. Maxwell, J.E. Alexander, J.R. Caudle, G.M. Maness and A.H. Reeder, and was given a letter of dismission in June 1897. W.H. Richards was ordained to the ministry in September 1900 by Elders J.S. Newman, B.J. Driver, J.W. Poe, E.R. Robinson, S.A. Paine, J.A. Paine, J.R. McCarty, J.M. Creel, F.D.L. Koen and J.H. Fisher, and in December following was dismissed by letter.

H.L. Collings, J.S. Newman, S.A. Paine and J.B. Denton, who is the pastor at present, have served the church since Elder Biggs moved away.


UNION GROVE CHURCH

Union Grove Church was constituted October 01, 1898 at Union Grove Schoolhouse, in Erath County, by Elder H.L. Collings and Deacon J.B. Garrett, with the following members: J.G. Danner, Lena Dannet, T.J. Chenault and wife.

Elder H.L. Collings served till November 1901, when Elder W.H. Richards was called, but could not serve. In March 1902, Elder J.W. Poe was called, in which capacity he is still serving.


BETHEL CHURCH

Bethel Church was organized on Saturday before the second Sunday in September 1895, in Bosque County, by Elders R.A. Biggs, B.J. Driver, and Deacon L.E. Waldrip, with the following members: H.A. Brann, F.J. Brann, G.W. Anderson, L.C. Anderson, V.S. Doty, H. Doty, Willis Todd, E. Todd and Elder B.J. Driver.

The church was constituted on the Articles of Faith of Old Harmony Association.

R.A. Biggs, B.J. Driver, R.P. Littlepage and J.M. Creel have served as pastors of this church.


EBENEZER CHURCH

Ebenezer Church was constituted October 23, 1897 in Erath County, by Elders B.J. Driver, J.R. McCarty and Deacons G.W. Anderson, A.B. Keith and J.H. Burnett, with the following members: E. Salman, J.E. Alexander, W.J. Caine, W.B. Harver and M.J. Caine.

Elder B.J. Driver joined the church by letter and was called to the care of the church soon after it was organized.

The church is a member of the Duffau Association.


PHILADELPHIA CHURCH

Philadelphia Church was constituted December 15, 1900 at Altman, in Erath County, by Elder B.J. Driver and G.W. Armontrout with the following members: M. Pruitt, H.H. Matthews, L.B. Powell, E. Matthews, Alta Bass, Sarah Carter and Louis A. Powell.

Elder B.J. Driver has been the pastor of this church since it was constituted.


PRAIRIE VIEW CHURCH

Prairie View Church was constituted July 13, 1901 at the Floyd Schoolhouse, in Bosque County, four miles north of Walnut Springs, by Elders B.J. Driver, J.S. Newman and Deacons J.H. Burnett and W.H. Wood, with the following members: Elder James Stinnett and wife, L.M. Stinnett, William Stinnett and wife, Martha Stinnett, Rebecca Lovelady and Elder J.M. Creel.

Elder J.M. Creel was chosen pastor at the time the church was organized, in which capacity he is still serving.

The church also declared non-fellowship for the doctrine known as the predestination of all things, including sin, at the time it was constituted.

Elder James Stinnett was born December 14, 1817 in Marian County, Tennessee. He was the son of Samuel and Elizabeth Stinnett and grandson of James Stinnett of North Carolina, who was a Primitive Baptist. Elder James Stinnett joined Clark's Creek Church in Henderson County, Tennessee in 1846, and was baptized by Elder James Beaver. In 1865, he came to Texas and fist settled in Hopkins County, but is now (1906) living with his son, William Stinnett, seven miles northeast of Walnut Springs, in Somervell County.


SABANA CHURCH

Sabana Church was constituted June 13, 1903 in Comanche County, by Elders B.J. Driver, S.A. Paine and Deacon Isaac Allen, with the following members: J.T. Harvey, Alice Harvey, J.J. Harvey, Amanda Harvey, G.R. Harvey, W.J. Waldrip, Julia Waldrip, Pinkie Miears, M.E. Gilmore, J.N. Braughton and wife.

Elder S.A. Paine was their first pastor. J.B. Denton was ordained to the ministry by the authority of this church. Elder J.B. Denton served the church as pastor a short while, but was given a letter of dismission, and joined Oak Grove Church in Eastland County. Elder W.H. Richards is serving the church at the present time.


OAK GROVE CHURCH

Oak Grove Church was organized November 04, 1904, ten miles northeast of Gorman, Comanche County, by Elders W.H. Richards, J.B. Denton and Isham Guthrie, with the following members: M.C. Peak, Sarah Peak, Pearl Peak, Lillian Peak, Zelpha Denton, Sadie Burton, Elizabeth Burton, Georgia Higgenbotham and Shearly Higgenbotham.

Elders J.B. Denton and Isham Guthrie joined the church by letter after it was constituted.

Elder J.B. Denton was called to the pastoral care of the church.


LONE PILGRIM CHURCH

Lone Pilgrim Church was constituted on the second Sunday in May 1905 at Chalk Mountain in Erath County, by Elders B.J. Driver, J.W. Poe and Deacons Joel Harvey, George Driskill and William Stinnett, with the following members: T.J. Hamic and wife, B.A. Collings and wife, Jesse Collings, Fannie Roden, Carie Cox, H.B. Rogers, Ollie and Sallie Rogers.

Elder B.J. Driver was chosen to the pastoral care of the church at its constitution.

On Saturday before the second Sunday in March 1906, J.E. Lackey was ordained to the ministry by Elders B.J. Driver, J.B. Downing, J.S. Newman, J.W. Poe, and Deacons W.H. Wood, A.H. Reeder, C. Connally and W.C. Miller.

This church is a member of the Duffau Association.

Last Updated ( Thursday, 26 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.