header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Little Flock Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Little Flock Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

LITTLE FLOCK ASSOCIATION

1884. According to previous appointment, the messengers from several churches met in convention at Maysfield, Milam County, on Friday before the fourth Sunday in November 1884, for the purpose of organizing an association.

The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Denton from Jude 1:3, after which the convention was called to order, and on motion, Elder William Thomas was called to the chair and Elder W.H. Harrell chosen clerk.

Then called for the letters from the churches that wished to go into the organization of the new association. Letters from the following named churches were read: Cedar Grove, Bell County; Mount Vernon, Bell County; Pilgrim's Rest, Bell County; Little Flock, Bell County; New Providence, Milam County. Dr. M.D. Denman was messenger from Cedar Grove Church; Elder William Thomas and Brother G.M. Halbert were messengers from Little Flock Church; Elder M.C.C. Maples and Brethren G.F. Giles and H. Vernon were messengers from Mount Vernon Church; D. Hart, T.J. Morton and G.W. Crosby were messengers from New Providence Church; Elder W.H. Harrell was messengers from Pilgrim's Rest Church.

The association being declared organized, by motion and second, the association then chose Elder William Thomas, moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Correspondence was petitioned Primitive Baptist, Harmony and Friendship Associations.

The association had 5 churches and 121 members; contribution, $22.00.

1885 The association met this year with Little Flock Church in Bell County, August 7, 8, and 9. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Harrell. Elder William Thomas was moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Little Vine Church from Coryell County by her messengers,

H. Gotcher and O.N. Guthrie, was received.

Correspondence from the Primitive Baptist Association and Harmony Association was received and was also returned.

On Sunday morning, Elder Greenwood of Sandy Grove Church, Kehukee Association (formerly of Germany) North Carolina, preached from John 16:8,9,10; followed by Elder J.T. seeley.

The association had 6 churches and 158 members; contribution, $20.25.

1886 The association met this year with Mt. Vernon Church, Bell County, August 6, 7, and 8. The first sermon was preached by Elder W.Y. Norman, who was also chosen moderator, and Elder W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Concord Church of Falls County, by her messengers, J.A. Kinsell, E.B. Buster and J.M. McCoy, was received into the association.

Elders W.S. Harris and A.V. Atkins were received as messengers from Harmony Association; Brother W.H.H. Edger was messenger from Primitive Association.

The following resolution was read by Elder W.H. Harrell and, on motion, was unanimously adopted:

"Whereas, Dr. Carlton of Henderson, Texas has published a book entitled "A Diagram of the Churches", in which he has set forth doctrine contrary to the Scriptures, to wit: God chooses the heirs of promise because they are His, not to make them His. - Page 4. "They (the seed or the children of the devil) come forth from the infernal regions, and they will return to Satan, the author of their spiritual existence," - page 10. "Their spiritual existence hailed from the underworld and must by right return from whence they came.- page 11. "That the people of antichrist was raised in the fall of Adam, from their degradation in Hell, (in a spiritual sense) to a level with the heirs of promise (in a natural sense) who were in Christ spiritually, before the word was; and both families shook hands as it were in the persons of Adam and Eve, naturally and morally."- - page 15. And said Dr. Carlton, claiming to be a Primitive Baptist, therefore be it resolved by Little Flock Association that all such doctrines are heresy, and that we have no fellowship for the same nor for those holding to and preaching such doctrines, and we recommend that the churches composing this association take action against such heresies that they may keep themselves free from them if possible."

The association had 7 churches and 165 members; contribution, $20.25.

1887 The association met this year with New Providence Church in Milam County, August 12, 13, and 14. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder William Thomas. Elder M.C.C. Maples was chosen moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Primitive Baptist Association by her messengers, Elder J.P. May and W.H.H. Edge; Harmony Association, Elders Nathan Barrow and A.P. Koen; San Marcos Association, Elder R.M. Pate.

On motion, the request of Cedar Grove Church asking that our correspondence with San Marcos Association be reconsidered, was taken up and after due consideration, the association concluded that she could see no cause why our correspondence with San Marcos Association should be marred.

On motion, the following resolution concerning the withdrawing of Concord Church from our association was read and adopted and ordered to be printed in our minutes.

Resolution in regard to the act of Concord Church in withdrawing from the association - "We would say that it is her right according to Article 5 of our Constitution, and we wouldnot deter her in the exercise thereof; yet as we know our Constitution is a safeguard against the evils complained of, and as we do not feel to be guilty of transcending the bounds of our Constitution, nor have any knowledge of such guiltiness on the part of any one or more of our corresponding associations, we feel to express our regret that there seems to be among us a disaffecting spirit which, of course, will tend to divide and scatter the flock, yet we feel no fear of evil resulting from associations properly conducted."

The association this year had 6 churches and 173 members; contribution, $19.85.

1888 The association met this year with Cedar Grove Church, Bell County, August 10, 11 and 12. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Harrell. M.C.C. Maples was moderator, and M.D. Denman, clerk.

Bethel Church of Bell County by her messengers, Elder W.Y. Norman and Brother S.R. Adams, was received.

Correspondence was then called for when Elder R.M. Pate, W.H. Jennings and William Culpepper presented a letter from the San Marcos Association, which was received and correspondence returned. Elders W.S. Harris, M.W. Dumas and F.D.L. Koen were messengers from Harmony Association.

"Elder S.F. Cayce of Bethel Association of Tennessee was invited to a seat with us." Elder J.T. Seeley and Samuel Bryant were messengers from Primitive Association. Elder J.G. Webb of the Red River Association was a visitor and was heartily received by the association.

The association had 6 churches and 141 members; contribution, $18.50.

1889 The association this year met with Bethel Church, BellCounty, August 9, 10 and 11. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.Y. Norman. Elder M.C.C. Maples was moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

New Salem Church of Milam County by her messengers, J.H. Culp and J.G. Harris, was received by the association. Antioch Church, Bell County, by her messengers, John Burks and S.M. Whiteley, was also received. Concord Church, that had withdrawn from the association in 1887, was also received by her messengers, N.F. Sanders, J.S. Dodgen and W.J. Swannere

Elders F.D.L. Koen, M.W. Dumas, Nathan Barrow and W.G. Green were received as messengers from Harmony Association, and T.J. Moore from the Primitive Association. Elder T.S. Dalton then of Benton, Illinois, but now of Front Royal, Virginia, was present and took a seat in the meeting.

The association this year had 9 churches and 220 members; contribution, $23.05.

1890 The association met this year with Pilgrim's Rest Church at Salado, Bell County, August 8, 9 and 10. The first sermon was preached by Elder M.C.C. Maples, who was also moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Elders W.S. Harris and M.W. Dumas were the correspondents from the Harmony Association, and Elders J.W. Meredith and L.J. Gresham from the Primitive Association, which was received and returned.

The association this year had 9 churches and 232 members; contribution, $24.80.

1891 The association this year met with Mt. Vernon Church, Bell County, August 7, 8 and 9. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder A.V. Atkins. Elder M.C.C. Maples was moderator, and A.V. Arkins, clerk.

Beulah Church of Falls County, was received by her messengers, Elder T.R. Allen, R.N. Jeffrey and J.S. Stovall.

Elders W.G. Green and A.B. Chambers were messengers from Harmony Association, and Elder S.R. Woods from the Friendship Association.

I will make an extract from a letter that Elder J.C. Denton wrote the Little Flock Association:

"Letter to the Elders and messengers composing Little Flock Association, greeting:
Dear Brethren, on receiving a letter from Elder S.R. Woods of Friendship Association, sometime past informing me more fully than I had before known, of the danger of a general interruption of our heretofore peaceful, general correspondence growing out of the soundness or unsoundness, and order or disorder of Plum Creek Church, and San Marcos Association. I wrote a letter to Lone Star Church, or to her pastor, enclosing Elder S.R. Woods' letter and asking if that church would be willing to support a convention composed of one minister from each of the following associations, viz: Harmony, Bosque River, Little Flock, Primitive, and Friendship, said convention to sit in judgment on the question named, and the church in conference answered they were willing and also willing to abide the decision. So hoping by this means to reach a final settlement of this question..."

Elder William Thomas's answer:

"Temple, Bell County, Texas
      August 7, 1891

Dear Brother Denton:
I read your letter to Little Flock Association, according to your request and, after considerable discussion of the matter the association decided that they have no right to interfere in any matter pertaining to a church difficulty, and so instructed me to write you. The association was Unanimous in the above decision."

At the time Little Flock Association was organized York's Creek Church from Comal County, Mt. Olive Church from Lavaca County, and Bethlehem Church of Caldwell County, by their messengers petitioned the association for membership which was postponed until the next meeting of the association. I find the following in their minutes: "To whom it may concern: We, the Little Flock Association, after a satisfactory investigation with Mt. Olive, York's Creek, and Bethlehem Churches who petitioned membership with us, do hereby declare that we find them orthodox in doctrine, order and practice, and clear of the two-seed heresy with which they have been charged, and therefore we recognize them as Primitive Baptist Churches, and extend to them our brotherly love and fellowship. But on account of the great distance intervening between us, we think it best not to received them into our association." At the next meeting of the association, I find the following; "A letter was presented by Elders R.N. Pate and M.F. Wright and Brethren J.B. Posey, William Culpepper, F.J. Culpepper and Thomas Culpepper of San Marcos Association petitioning correspondence with us. The letter was read. A motion was made to receive and return the correspondence, after due consideration and motion was carried."

At the next association, Elder R.M. Pate was present as a messenger from the San Marcos Association, and was received. At the next associational meeting, Elder R.M. Pate, W.H. Jennings and William Culpepper were messengers from the San Marcos Association, and were again received.

The recognition of Little Flock Association of the three churches and the San Marcos Association, gave the Baptists who were in a position to know of the unsoundness in doctrine and practice of said churches and association no little trouble and uneasiness. When the Little Flock Association found out the truth in regard to the churches and association they were no longer recognized as orderly Baptists.

The association this year had 10 churches and 250 members; contribution, $27.80.

1892 The association convened this year with Little Flock Church in Bell County, August 12, 13 and 14. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.Y. Norman. Elder M.G.C. Maples was moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Emmaus Church from Williamson County, by her messengers, J.F. Mathis, W.B. Smith and J.E. Tabor, was received.

Correspondence was received from Harmony Association by Elders R.W. Harrell, M.W. Dumas and Brother J.J. Wagoner; Friendship, Elder S.R. Woods, Brother S.B. Purcell and J.J. Yarborough; and Brother G.W. Bell from the Primitive Association. Elder A.B. Morris of the Hopewell Association of Mississippi was at this session of the association.

The association this year had 11 churches and 300 members; contribution, $30.25.

1893 The association this year met with Bethel Church, Bell County, August 11, 12 and 13. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.B. Downing; Elder M.C.C. Maples, moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Correspondence from New Harmony, Elder W.G. Green; Primitive, Elder J.P. Lambert, Brethren Levi Essary and J.D. Swanher; Old Harmony, Elders A.B. Chambers, M.W. Dumas, F.D.L. Koen and Brother D. Woods; Friendship, Elder S.R. Woods, Brethren S.B. Purcell, Thomas Power and J.J. Yarborough; Bosque River, Elders J.W. Norton, E.M. Weeks and C.A. Russell. Correspondence was received and returned.

The association this year had 11 churches and 284 members; contribution, $30.50.

1894 The association this year met with Beulah Church in Falls County, August 10, 11 and 12. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.V. Atkins; Elder M.C.C. Maples, moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Correspondence from Friendship Association, C.P. Kilgore; Primitive, Elders H. White, A.G. Blackwell and Brethren J.D. Swanner and W.G. Yelverton; Bosque River, Elders J.W. Norton, E.M. Weeks and J.M. Stewart; New Harmony, minutes; Old Harmony, N.A. Fewell and J.K. Furgeson. Elder J.W. Segler of Red River Association of Texas and Elder J.K. Stephens of Bethel Association of West Tennessee, were invited to seats.

The association had 11 churches and 378 members; contribution, $35.95.

1895 The association convened this year with New Providence Church in Milam County, August 9, 10 and 11. Elder J.B. Downing preached the introductory sermon; Elder M.C.C. Maples, moderator, and W.B. Smith, clerk.

Philadelphia Church of Rogers, Bell County, by her messengers, Elder William Guess and Brethren H.P. and B.A. Guess, was received; also Mt. Zion Church of Falls County, by her messengers, W.J. Swanner, J.S. Stovall and H.A. Lawson, was received.

Correspondence was received from Primitive Association by Elder H. White; Old Harmony, Elder F.D.L. Koen; Bethel Association, Elder W.H. Harrell. Correspondence returned.

This year the association had 13 churches and 427 members; contribution, $38.10.

1896 The association met this year with Cedar Grove Church in Bell County, August 7, 8 and 9. The first sermon was preached by Elder William Guess; Elder M.C.C. Maples, moderator, and W.B. Smith, clerk.

Macedonia Church from Lampasas County by her messengers, J.F. Holmes, J.A. Cowan and D.W. Holmes, was received.

Correspondence was received from Friendship Association by Elder S.R. Woods and Brethren S.B. Purcell and T.J. wimberly. Minutes were received from New and Old Harmony,

and Bosque River Associations, which were received and correspondence returned.

The association this year had 13 churches and 386 members; contribution, $27.65.

1897 The association met this year with New Salem Church in Milam Gounty, August 6, Y and 8. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder M.C.C. Maples; Elder William Guess, moderator, and W.B. Smith, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Friendship Association by P.T. Watson, J.W. Perkins and A.F. Ford. Elders S.F. Cayce of Tennessee, J.W. Shook and I.B. Holland of South Texas were at this session of the association.

The association had 12 churches and 395 members; contribution, $25.60.

1898 The association met this year with Little Flock Church, August 12, 13 and 14. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder T.R. Allen; Elder William Guess, moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Correspondence: Bosque River Association, Elder J.W. Norton, Elder E.M. Weeks, George W. Dalton, David Bradford and T.A. Wells; Primitive, Elder T.J. Moore and Brother B.T. Howard; Friendship, Elder Henry Kilgore; Bethel, Elder A.F. Grafton. Correspondence was received and returned.

I notice the following note from the clerk. "Words are not sufficient to express the joys of salvation felt during this session of our association. We feel more humble in the sight of God, for His loving kindness toward us. A perfect unit was maintained in all that passed. Twenty-four were added to the church by experience and baptism. These went on their way rejoicing in a Savior's love. Help us, 0 Lord, to bless Thy name."

There were twenty-five Old Baptist ministers present at this session of the association.

The association had 13 churches and 418 members; contribution, $24.80.

1899 The association convened this year with Concord Church at Durango, Falls County, August 11, 12 and 13. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder R.W. Harrell. Elder M.C.C. Maples was chosen moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony Association by Elder W.G. Green; Friendship Association, Henry Kilgore; Primitive, by minutes; Bosque River, M.D. Highsmith, G.W. Dalton and H. Morehead. Correspondence was returned with all the corresponding associations.

The association this year had 12 churches and 467 members; contribution, $24.20.

1900 The association this year met with Mt. Vernon Church, August 10, 11 and 12. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.V. Atkins. Elder William Guess was moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Bethel Church was received into the association by her messengers, J.L. Hamilton, S.R. Adams and David Bradford. This church had once before belonged to the association, but on account of some dissatisfaction and likely disorder in Bethel Church, she had been dropped by the association.

Correspondence was received from Bosque River Association by George W. Dalton and J.J. Stovall; Old Harmony, letter and minutes; New Harmony, letter and minutes; Primitive, letter and minutes.

The association this year had 13 churches and 400 members; contribution, $25.15.

1901 The association met this year with Philadelphia Church at Rogers, Bell County, August 9, 10 and 11. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder S.C. Kyle. Elder T.R. Allen was chosen moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Friendship Association by Elders W.F. Baker,Sammie Redford, Brother J.R. Clark and Dr. E.M. Thomas; Bosque River, Elder C.T. Nance, Tolbert Dalton, G.W. Dalton, I.N. Cox, Lonnie McWilliams and Brother Draun; Primitive Association, J.D. Swanner, E. Laird, L.J. Gresham, J.F. Boddiford and J.A. Womack; Southwest Texas Association, A.A. Culpepper and John B. Cole. Correspondence was returned.

The association had 12 churches and 510 members; contribution, $24.75.

1902 The association met this year with Pilgrim's Rest Church at Salado, Bell County, August 8, 9 and 10. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder William Guess. Elder T.R. Allen was chosen moderator, and A.V. Atkins, clerk.

Correspondence from Friendship by N.L. Powell, J.R. Clark and Dr. E.M. Thomas; New Harmony, by minutes; Old Harmony, Elder W.Y. Norman and D.W. Holmes; Southwest Texas, by minutes; Primitive, by minutes; Bosque River, by minutes; Hill County, by minutes; Chambers Creek by minutes. Correspondence was returned.

"A contribution was made by the congregation present amounting to $20.00 to defray expenses of ministers present from a distance."

The association this year had 12 churches and 496 members; contribution, $22.40.

1903 The association this year met with Cedar Grove Church at Sparta, Bell County, August 7, 8 and 9. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder A.V. Atkins, who was elected moderator, and B.A. Guess, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony by Elders S.A.Paine, M.W. Dumas and W.Y. Norman; Friendship, Elder P.T. Watson; Southwest Texas, Brother White; Bosque River, by minutes; Primitive, by minutes; Hill County, Elder E.R. Robinson.

"Returned correspondence with all associations with which we correspond, except New Harmony, which was dropped for extreme views on doctrinal points, to-wit: Absolute Predestination." Thus we see that in 1903 Little Flock Association dropped correspondence with New Harmony Association for advocating the doctrine that God predestinated all things, including sin.

This year the association had 11 churches and 415 members; contribution, $20.10.

1904 The association met this year with Bethel Church, at Killeen in Bell County, August 12, 13 and 14. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder A.V. Atkins, who was elected moderator, and B.A. Guess, clerk.

Elm Grove Church of Georgetown, Williamson County, was received by her messengers, H.S. Burson, J.R. Clark and L.N. Powell.

Correspondence was received from Hill County Association by minutes; Friendship,S.S. Redford; Primitive, Elder T.J. Moore; Bosque River, G.W. Dalton, Elder J.W. Norton and T.A. Wells; Southwest Texas Association, J.W. Reed and A.B. Jeffrey; Old Harmony, Elders M.W. Dumas, W.Y. Norman, A.B. Chambers and Brother L.B. Anderson. Correspondence was returned.

The association had 13 churches and 480 members; contribution, $21.95.

1905 The association met this year with Beulah Church in Falls County, August 11, 12 and 13. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder A.F. Grafton. Elder T.R. Allen was chosen moderator, and B.A. Guess, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Primitive Association by Eider S.C. Kyle and E. Laird; Chambers Creek Association, Elder A.F. Grafton; Bosque River, G.W. and M.V. Dalton; Hill County Association, M.W. Needham; Old Harmony, D.W. Holmes. correspondence was returned.

Of this session of the association, Elder A.V. Adkins, the clerk, has well said; "Our meeting has been truly one of rejoicing and much love and joy surely prevailed the minds of God's people. We feel that the Lord prepared the ministry each and all with much wisdom and many comforting and consoling words to declare the whole counsel of God. We also believe the same power prepared our hearts to receive and be filled with this wholesome food, which the spiritual man so much desires and which is so essential to his being that we may be sustained and built up in the most pure and holy faith. Since our last meeting the grim destroyer has calmed two or our most honored and devoted ministers: Elder M.C.C. Maples and William Guess. Brother Guess died January 11, 1905, the day he was 68 years old. Brother Maples died June 16, 1905, half a day after he was 87 years old. The lives of these two old fathers in Israel are like open books without a soiled page. Oh! May God's people ever have such faithful and able leaders. Their influence for good will live on and on."

The association this year had 13 churches and 418 members; contribution, $23.05.

In 1906 the association had 14 churches, 430 members, and 4 ordained ministers; contribution $20.25.


LITTLE FLOCK CHURCH

The record of the first twelve years of this church were destroyed by fire, but I am reliably informed that it was constituted in 1848, in Bell County, by Elders J.H. Russell and Samuel Wheate.

In 1850, the church joined Providence Association. Elder J.H. Russell was at that time a member of the church, as he was the only messenger to the association. In 1850, the church had twelve members. In 1851, the church was represented in the association by Elder S. Wheate, King Fisher and G. Ratliff, with eleven members; in 1852, by Elder S. Wheate, Thomas Havens and King Fisher. Elder J.H. Russell had evidently been lettered out, as his name occurred this year as messenger to Providence Association from Zion Church in Williamson County. In 1853, the church was represented in the association by Elder S. Wheate with a membership of thirteen. In 1854, the church had the same messenger and the same number of members. In 1855, the church was represented in the association by Elder S. Wheate, Guilford Ratliff and Joseph Dennis with thirteen members; in 1856, by Elder S. Wheate with fifteen members. In 1857, the church was represented by a letter with fifteen members. In 1858, the messengers were Elder S. Wheate and Michael Reed, with sixteen members. The church, by her request, was dismissed this year from the association with two other churches, for the purpose of organizing the Concord Association, which was done on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in October 1858.

Elder S. Wheate and J.C. Barry were the messengers with thirteen members.

In 1859, the church was represented by Elder S. Wheate and John Smith, with twelve members; in 1860, by T. Lancaster and E. Reed, with sixteen members.

This brings the church records down to 1860, where they begin again. Elder S. Wheate must have been the pastor of the church as he was a member of the church in 1851 and was given a letter of dismission in June 1861. In 1861, G.W. McDonald was called to the pastoral care of the church. In July 1862, Elder Mark Allen joined the church by letter. In 1864, Elder William Thomas was received by letter into the church. Elders G.W. McDonald and William Thomas preached for this church until in November 1874, when Elder G.W. McDonald was given a letter of dismission. Elder Thomas was then called to the pastoral care of the church and served in that capacity as a faithful man of God until his death in 1893. Elder A.V. Atkins was called to the pastoral care of the church the same year Elder Thomas died, in which capacity he has continued to the present time, bein§ assisted by Elder William Guess, whose labors were greatly appreciated by all.

In January 1878, Elder J.C. Denton joined the church by letter from New Providence Church, in Milam County, Texas.

A.V. Atkins was ordained to the ministry, on Saturday before the first Sunday in November 1877, by Elders G.W. McDonald, J.W. Norton, William Thomas and J.G. Denton.

In March 1883, Elder T.R. Allen was received by letter from Fellowship Church, in Newton County, Mississippi, and in June 1886, was dismissed by letter. In April 1892, the church unanimously adopted the following resolutions: "Resolved, that whereas there are some among the Primitive Baptists, who believe and advocate the doctrine that God predestinated the wicked acts of men, therefore, be it known to all whom it may concern, that we don't believe said doctrine, neither will we retain in our fellowship those who advocate it."

In August 1898, Elder A.V. Arkins was received by letter from Pilgrim’s Rest Church in Bell County, and has been the pastor of this church, excepting one year, ever since.

This church is one of the most remarkable churches I have any knowledge of in Texas. It went through the controversy over Two-seedism in 1855 and 56, in the Providence Association, and did not lose a member. In 1858 the church obtained a letter of dismission from Providence Association and was in the constitution of Concord Association in 1859.

When the trouble came in Concord Association in 1864, the church stood unitedly with Elder G.W. McDonald. In October 1880, a convention or meeting was held at Salem Church at Oglesby, Coryell County, at which time and place, the "Upper Wing" and "Lower Wing" of the old Concord Association confessed their wrongs and so settled their trouble of sixteen years standing.

The "Lower Wing" of Concord Association, by motion and second, dissolved. It was then agreed by the messengers of the "Lower Wing" of Concord to drop the name of "Concord Association" and organize a new association. Little Flock Church, with nine other churches, went into the constitution of the Regular Primitive Baptist Association. The church remained a member of said association until 1884, when it went into the constitution of Little Flock Association and is still a member of that body.

This church has never had any serious trouble, and in all the trouble over "Two Seedism" and "Absoluters" or Unlimited Predestinarian, she has stood to a member against the heresies.

This was the first Primitive Baptist Church organized in Bell County.


BETHEL CHURCH

Bethel Church was organized in Coryell County, likely in 1864 or 1865. I notice that the church was a member of the "Lower Concord" Association in 1866 with W.C. Maples, E. Ivey and A. Walters as messengers. It is believed that the following members were in the constitution of the church, viz: E. Ivey, Ruth Ivey, Violet Doss, A. Walters, Matilda Walters and Hannah Jeffreys.

In 1870, Elder Moses H. Denman was a member of the church, and likely the pastor of the church. Elder Denman, B. Ellis and M.D. Galloway were messenger to the Concord Association in 1870. Elder Denman remained a member of this church till 1874, when he was dismissed by letter and he and Elder M. Whiteley constituted Cedar Grove Church July 15, 1874, Elder Denman then joined the church by letter from Bethel church. He died a member of Cedar Grove Church. In 1878 and 79, Elder M. Whiteley was the pastor of Bethel Ghurch.

I have no means of knowing who served the church from 1879 to 1891. In October 1891, Elders J.B. Downing and W.Y. Norman were called jointly to the pastoral care of the church. In 1898, Elder J.S. Newman joined the church by letter from Pilgrim's Rest Church in DeWitt County, at which time, Elder A.V. Atkins was pastor of the church. In 1900, J.S. Newman was dismissed by letter.

W.J.D. Bradford was ordained to the ministry August 5, 1903, by Elders A.V. Atkins, W.Y. Norman, E.R. Robinson, S.A. Paine and J.S. Newman.

Elder Bradford is the present pastor of the church. The church is now at Killeen, in Bell County. The church first joined the "Lower Concord" Association, with which it remained till the Lower and Upper Concord settled their trouble in October 1880. The church was then in the constitution of Primitive Association. In 1888, the church joined the Little Flock Association of which it is still a member.
 

NEW PROVIDENCE

New Providence Church was constituted at Mayfield, Milam County, May 20, 1866 by Elders Samuel Wheate, G.W. McDonald, W.S. Taylor and William Thomas, with the following members: Elder William Thomas, Elder W.S. Taylor, Joseph Laughlin, W.W. Cox, Edward Matthews, J.B. Ervin, Jane B. Touchstone and Sarah Matthews.

It is thought that Elder Thomas and Elder McDonald preached several years for the church. In December 1874, Elder J.C. Denton joined the church by letter, and in October 1877, he was dismissed by letter.

In 1892, the church had trouble with Elders W.M. and J.E. Little, who preached the absolute predestination of all things. They were finally excluded over the doctrine as the church had put up bars against it.

C.C. Evans and J.N. Hudson were both ordained to the ministry by this church and both are now excluded.

Elder William Guess served the church for several years before he died. Since his death in the spring of 1905, Elder J.E. Center has had the pastoral care of the church.


CEDAR GROVE CHURCH

Cedar Grove Church was organized July 25, 1874, at the Cedar Grove Schoolhouse on Taylor Branch in Bell County, by Elders M. Whiteley and M.H. Denman, with the following members: J.G. McMinn, E.A. McMinn, J.H. Denman, A.W. Denman, C.E. Denman, Violet Doss, F.D. Smith, L.A. Denman and Mary Dickson.

Elder M.H. Denman then joined the church by letter from Bethel Church, in Coryell County, and served the church as its pastor till his death.

In 1875, the church joined the Lower Concord Association with which body it remained till October 1880, when the two Concords settled their trouble. The church was then in the constitution of the Primitive Association and was a member of said body till the Little Flock Association was constituted in 1884. It was in the constitution of said association and is still a member of that body.

Elder W.Y. Norman has been pastor of the church for several years.


ANTIOCH CHURCH

Antioch Church was constituted in the spring of 1874, near Crossville, Bell County, by Elders W.H. Denman and Martin Whiteley. I am informed that the church records for several years are destroyed and therefore have to depend on memory as to who the first members were. Sister Ben Burks, now of Mills County, informs me that the following members were in the constitution of the church: John Burks, Sr., and wife, John R. Burks, William Cowan and wife, Lewis Brannon and wife and likely G.W. Pouncy and wife.

Elder Martin Whiteley was a member of this church and served the church for a number of years and finally died a member of the church.

The church joined the Lower Wing of the Concord Association. Elders W.Y. Norman, J.B. Downing, A.V. Atkins and J.S. Newman have preached for this old church. At present, Elder W.J.D. Bradford is pastor of the church. It now belongs to Little Flock Association.


PILGRIM'S REST CHURCH

Pilgrim's Rest Church was constituted October 6, 1877, at the residence of J.R. Harrell, near Salado, Bell County, by William Thomas and J.C. Denton, with the following members: J.W.B. Harrell, J.R. Harrell, Martha Harrell, Georgia Hartell and H.D. Patterson.

Elder William Thomas was called to the pastoral care of the church at the time of its constitution and served faithfully until August 1878, when he requested the church to relieve him, as Elder A.V. Atkins had joined the church by letter from Little Flock Church. Elder Atkins served the church until 1883, when he was dismissed by letter.

W.H. Harrell was ordained to the ministry July 26, 1884 by Elders W.S. Harris, R.A. Biggs, William Thomas, M.C.C. Maples, J.W. Norton, T.J. Moore, J.C. Denton, E.S. Gunter and W.J. Hester, and was in August called to the care of the church.

Elder W.Y. Norman joined the church by letter in March 1885 from Darlan Church, Alabama. W.H. Harrell was dismissed by letter from this church in May 1885. W.Y. Norman was dismissed by letter in August 1887, and in December following, was called to the care of the church. Elder A.V. Atkins joined the church by letter in June 1890, from Shiloh Church in McLennan County and, in October following, was called to serve jointly with W.Y. Norman, in which capacity they served until October 1895, when Elder Atkins was called, and in which capacity he still serves. In May 1892, the church granted Elder A.V. Atkins a letter of dismission.

The church joined the Lower Wing of Concord Association in 1878. When the trouble in that association was adjusted in 1880, it was in the constitution of Primitive Association.In 1884, it was in the constitution of Little Flock Association and is still a member of that body.


MT. VERNON CHURCH

Mt. Vernon Church was constituted May 14, 1881 in Bell County, by Elders William Thomas, A.V. Atkins and Deacons B. Huckabee and G.M. Halbert, with the following members: W.W. Cox, G.F. Giles, G.W. Cathy, N.C. Johnson, J.R. Clary, M.L. Clary, Lizzie Hale, Louis A. Smith, Lucinda Giles, V.A. Johnson, Sarah Scarbrough, Matilda Robertson and J.A. Clary.

This church was built up under the immediate labors of Elder William Thomas who served the church the first year of its existence, when Elder M.C.C. Maples joined the church by letter, and was called to the pastoral care of the church in which capacity he served until declining health and old age prevented him. Elder Maples was not released from the care of the church on the account of his physical infirmities, but was assisted by Elder William Guess.

Elder M.C.C. Maples was the son of M.C. Maples, who was born December 6, 1795 in Pittsylvania County, Virginia. Elder M.C.C. Maples was born June 8, 1818 in Severe County, Tennessee. On February 9, 1837, he married Miss Elizabeth Wilder. Eleven children were bore to this union. He joined Bethel Church in Severe County, in May 1833, and was baptized by Elder Layman Jones. In 1834, he moved to Jackson County, Alabama and joined Union Church where he was liberated to preach. In January 1850, he left Alabama, and moved to Lafayette County, Mississippi and joined Laodicea Church, where he was ordained to the ministry by Elders E.A. Meadows and Joseph Edwards. In 1881, he moved to Texas and joined Mt. Vernon Church the same year. He died a member of this church in the spring of 1905, in the love and fellowship of his brethren and sisters.

The church passed resolutions of non-fellowship against the predestination of all things in 1892.

Elder J.E. Center is the pastor of this church at present, 1906.


MACEDONIA CHURCH

Macedonia Church was constituted on Saturday before the first Sunday in September  1886 at Kempner, Lampasas County, by Elders Whiteley, M.W. Dumas and Deacon W.M.  and Jasper Chambers, with the following members: J.A. Cowan and wife, S.E. Cowan,  B.F. Cox, S.E. Cox, H.W. Ellis and Sarah Sparks.

Elders J.B. Dumas, G.W. Pouncy, John Richardson and W.Y. Norman have served this church. Elders J.B. Dumas and G.W. Pouncy have been excluded.

The church joined Little Flock Association, afterwards received a letter of dismission and has since remained out of any association.

Elder W.Y. Norman is now pastor of the church.


EMMAUS CHURCH

Emmaus Church was constituted by Elders J.E. and S.R. Woods and Deacon W.B. Smith, at Circleville, Williamson County in October 1891, with the following members: P. Wright, Elizabeth Wright, Rachel Wright, J.J. Britton, Amanda Britton, J.F. Mathis and Minnie Mathis.

Elder S.R. Woods served the church until June 1895, when Elder A.G. Blackwell joined the church by letter.

The church joined Little Flock Association in 1892. Elder Blackwell served the church from the time he joined until it dissolved, September 8, 1900.


FRIENDSHIP CHURCH

Friendship Church was organized on the first Sunday in September 1879, at Prarie Dell Schoolhouse in Bell County, with the following members: W.J. Hester and wife, E. Hester, H.P. and Wiley Cleveland, W.C. Downing and wife, A. Downing, James Downing and Nathan Barrow.

It is believed that W.J. Hester and Nathan Barrow were both ordained to the ministry while members of this church.

The church has been dissolved for several years.


CONCORD CHURCH

Concord Church was constituted June 19, 1886 at Durango in Falls County, by Elders J.A. Norton, J.C. Denton, W.Y. Norman, W.H. Harrell and E.M. Weeks, with the following members: M.T. Moore and wife, Mary Buster, J.A. Kinsel and wife, Matilda Kinsel and A.J. Hasty.

Elder J.A. Norton was chosen pastor of the church at the time it was constituted. The record does not show how long he served the church.

Elder L.J. Gresham joined the church by letter in April 1887, but does not tell when he was dismissed. Elder J.B. Downing joined the church by letter in April 1888, and was dismissed in December following. In February 1891, Elder T.R. Allen was called to the pastoral care of the church. In March 1891, Elder S.C. Kyle joined the church by letter from Good Hope Church, in Gonzales County, Texas. In March 1900, Elder Kyle was called jointly with Elder Allen. In December 1902, Elder Kyle was dismissed by letter. Elder Allen is their present pastor.


NEW SALEM CHURCH

New Salem Church was constituted September 18, 1886, eight or ten miles south of Rockdale, Milam County, by Elders A.B. Miley and William Thomas, with the following members: W.Po Phillips, Martha Phillips, John G. and Martha F. Harris and A.J. Phillips.

Elder A.B. Miley was chosen pastor of the church at its constitution. In 1895, Elder C.C. Evans was called to the care of the church, after which Elders A.G. Balckwell, J.N. Hudson and P.T. Watson served. Elder J.E. Woods is the present pastor.

The church joined Little Flock Association in 1889.


ELM GROVE CHURCH

Elm Grove Church was constituted on Saturday before the third Sunday in March 1887, four miles northeast of Georgetown, by Elders R. Baker, S.R. Woods, T.S. Whiteley and J.F. Richardson, with the following charter members: Henry Kilgore, Susan Kilgore, William Lykins, Rachel Lykins, Mahala Lykins, J.E. Lykins, Scynthia Lykins and T.W. Vaughn.

Elders S.R. Woods and W.C. Purcell preached occasionally for this church.

On the Second Sunday in October 1896, Henry Kilgore was ordained to the ministry by Elder B.F. Redford and Deacons, S.B. Purcell, W.D. Woods and J.R. Clark, and in December following, was called to the pastoral care of the church and served till June 1900, when Elder G.W. White was called.

Elder R.A. Mercer joined the church by letter on Saturday before the second Sunday in March 1899.

In November 1900, Elder H. Kilgore was dismissed by letter from this church. Elder R.A. Mercer was dismissed by letter on Saturday before the third Sunday in January 1902.

Elder S.N. Redford was called to the pastoral care of the church.

In June 1902, the following resolutions was passed by the church: "Whereas, there are some men claiming to be Primitive Baptists, preaching that all wicked acts of men were decreed of God, and are according to His purpose and predestination and * *: Therefore, be it resolved by Elm Grove Church in conference, that we declare non-fellowship for said doctrine, and will not allow it preached in our pulpit."

In May, Elder W.F. Baker was called to the pastoral care of the church and is still serving it.


BEULAH CHURCH

Beulah Church was constituted on Saturday before the fifth Sunday in August 1890, at the Hoolyer Schoolhouse five miles southeast of Eddy, Falls County, by Elder J.A. Norton and Deacons J.S. Dodgen and F.B. Buster, with the following members: J.S. Stovall and wife, M.J. Stovall, R.N. Jeffrey, G.W. Hay, M.T. Moore and wife, P.C. Moore, and Mary Galloway.

Elder J.W. Norton was chosen to the pastoral care of the church in which capacity he only served a short time when Elder T.R. Allen joined the church by letter from Antioch Church, Scott County, Mississippi, and was called to the Pastoral care of the church, in which capacity he is still serving.

Elder L.H. Stucky joined the church from Piney Grove Church, Alabama, in January 1899, and in 1901, he was dismissed by letter and joined a church in West Tennessee and soon afterwards died.


PHILADELPHIA CHURCH

Philadelphia Church was constituted at Rogers, Bell County, May 11, 1895 by Elders M.C.C. Maples, W.Y. Norman, and A.V. Atkins, with the following members: H.P. Guess, Mary Clary, Annie Thomas, Fannie Reed, Lizzie Vernon, Mattie Thomas, Maggie Thomas, Mary E. Roden, H. Vernon, J.R. Vernon, W.L. Stephens and wife, M.S.E. Stephens, H. Cook, R.A. Guess, D.E. Guess, Jesse Farley, Bettie Perry, Angelena Guess, Elder William Guess and wife, Mary Guess.

Elder William Guess was called to the pastoral care of the church and served as a faithful and humble man of God until his death, January 11, 1905.

In 1895, the church joined the Little Flock Association, and is still a member of that body.

J.E. Center was ordained to the ministry by Elders A.V. Atkins, S.A. Paine and T.R. Allen. Since that time, he has served the church.

Last Updated ( Friday, 13 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.