header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Primitive Baptist Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Primitive Baptist Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

REGULAR PRIMITIVE BAPTIST ASSOCIATION

By reading the history of the Concord Association, you will observe that the association divided in 1864 over some point of order. After the division in Old Concord Association, the same people were known by the "Upper and Lower Concord Association", also as the "McDonald and Graham parties". Consequently, as usual a war was waged upon each other for several years. Finally, a better state of feeling began to exist between the contending parties, a convention was called for by the "Upper and Lower Wings" of the Concord Associations, to be held with Salem Church, at Oglesby, in Goryell County to commence October 22, 1880. According to agreement, the contending parties met; the convention was called to order by Elder William Thomas, and by request Elder T.G. Miller preached the introductory sermon. After that the convention was organized. Elder William Thomas was chosen moderator, and F.D. Smith, clerk.

By motion and second by the messengers of the Lower Wing of Concord Association, that the same be dissolved. The convention being permanently organized, by motion resolved for the mutual satisfaction of all concerned, we, the messengers from both wings of the Concord Association, in convention assembled, in behalf of the churches represented by us, acknowledge our sorrow for the wrongs that are past, and in the spirit of meekness, forgive and ask forgiveness one of another.

After the trouble was settled, the following churches with their messengers met the next day, October 23, 1880, and organized themselves into an association, which was called at that time, "The Regular Primitive Baptist Association", viz: Bethel Church, Bell County, John Potter, E. Ivey and H. Vernon; Cedar Grove Church, Bell County, M. Whiteley,

John Burkes and Henry Gotcher; Zion Church, Navarro County, Elder J.T. Seeley; Salem Church, Elders J.W. and J.A. Norton and H.M. Smith; Little Flock, Bell County, Elder William Thomas and G.M. Halbert; Pilgrims Rest Church, Bell County, Elder A.V. Atkins and Cyrus Eastland; Bethlehem Church, Robinson County, J.A. Smith; Bethlehem Church, McLennan County, J.M. Smith; Zion Church, Hill County, Elder J.D. Henson, E.B. Reed and Z. Henson.

The association was constituted with 9 churches and 154 members; contribution, $25.50.

1881 This year the association met with Mt. Vernon Church in Bell County, July 22, 23 and 24. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.D. Henson. Elder William Thomas was moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Oak Grove Church of Freestone County was received by her messenger, A.L. English; Pilgrim Church of Limestone County by her messengers, S.H. Bates and Elder L.O. Aspley; Ebenezer Church of Brazos County by her messenger, J.M. Lawless, was also received.

Correspodence was received from Old Harmony Association by Elder M.W. Dumas and J.C. Chambers.

The association this year had 14 churches and 239 members; contribution, $32.50.

1882 This year the association met with Cedar Grove Church, Bell County, July 21, 22 and 23. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.A. Norton. Elder Martin Whiteley was made moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

New Providence Church of Milam County, by her messenger, S.D. Whiteley, and New Hope Church of Freestone County, by her messenger, W.O. Farrington, were received.

Correspondence was received from Harmony Association by Elders W.S. Harris, M.W. Dumas and Brother J.C. Chambers; Friendship Association, Elder N. Barrow and T.S. Whiteley.

The association this year had 16 churches and 325 members; contribution, $29.45.

1883 This year the association met with Zion Church, Navarro County, July 21, 22 and 23. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Denton. Elder William Thomas was moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Harmony Association through Elder W.S. Harris; Friendship Association through a letter.

The association this year had 13 churches and 238 members; contribution, $33.85.

1884 This year the association met with Pilgrim's Rest Church, in Bell County, July 25, 26 and 27. The first sermon was preached by Elder W.S. Harris. Elder William Thomas was moderator, and W.H. Harrell, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Friendship Association through Elder W.J. Hester and N. Avery; Harmony Association, Elder R.A. Biggs. Correspondence was returned.

This year the association gave letters to the following churches for the purpose of organizing a new association, Antioch, Bethel, Cedar Grove, Mt. Vernon, Pilgrim's Rest, Little Flock and New Providence.

This year the association had 15 churches and 261 members; contribution, $33.95.

1885 This year the association met with Zion Church in Navarro County, July 24, 25 and 26. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.T. Seeley. Elder J.C. Denton was moderator, and W.O. Farrington, clerk.

Brush Prairie Church of Leon County; Shiloh Church, Leon County; Fellowship Church, Madison County; Fort Houston Church of Anderson County; and Little Flock Church, Brazos County, were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association through Elders William Thomas and M.C.C. Maples.

The association this year declared non-fellowship with the Two-seed Parkerite heresy and also withdrew fellowship from Bethlehem Church, McLennan County, and Zion Church, Hill County.

At this time the association had 11 churches and 187 members; contribution, $22.00.

1886 This year the association met with Ebenezer Church, Brazos County, July 23, 24 and 25. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Denton. Elder H. White was moderator, and W.O. Farrington, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association by Elder William Thomas and M.D. Denman; San Marcos Association, Elders R.M. Pate and W.F. Wright.

The following resolutions were unanimously adopted by the association: "Resolved that we, the Primitive Baptist Church of Christ, at Fellowship, Madison County, Texas, do this day declare non-fellowship for the Two-seed heresy as advocated by Daniel Parker in a book entitled, "Views on the Two-seed" and by Elder Ben Parker, In his proposition for debate with Elder J.G. Denton. and by Dr. S.M. Carlton in his book entitled "Diagram of the churches". Done by act of the church in conference, July 17, 1886. J.C. Denton, moderator, and H.S. Wallace, clerk."

The churches in the Primitive Association decided that they could not any lonEer receive the official work of such ministers in the Bi§ Creek and Union Associations as held to the Parkerite two-seed doctrine.

This year the association had 10 churches and 196 members; contribution, $33.00.

1887 This year the association met with Fellowship Church in Madison County, July 22, 23 and 24.

The first sermon was preached by Elder J.G. Denton. Elder W.A. Davenport was chosen moderator, and J.C. Denton, clerk.

Philadelphia Church, Robinson County, by her messengers, J.H. O'Neal and J.A. Jackson, and Frost Creek Church of Limestone County, by her messengers H.J. Jones and S.H. Bates, were received.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association through Elder M.C.C. Maples; San Marcos Association through Elders R.M. Pate and M.F. Wright.

The association had 11 churches and 230 members; contribution, $28.90.

1888 This year the association met with Oak Grove Church in Freestone County, July 21, 22 and 23. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.T. Seeley, who was chosen moderator, and A.L. English, clerk.

Shiloh Church of Limestone Couty and Hopewell Church of Freestone County were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association by Elders William Thomas and M.C.C. Maples and W.H. Harrell.

This year the association had 11 churches and 261 members; contribution, $25.70.

1889 This year the association met with Brush Prairie Church in Leon County, July 26, 27 and 28. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Yarborough. Elder Samuel Bryant was moderator, and W.H.H. Edge, clerk.

Correspodence was received from Little Flock Association by Elder William Thomas; from San Marcos, by Elder M.F. Wright; Harmony, Elder J.P. May.

Elder Henry Archer of Louisiana was at this session of the association.

The association had 10 churches and 248 members; contribution, $23.25.

1890 This year the association met with Hopewell Church in Freestone County, July 25, 26 and 27. The introductory

sermon was preached by Elder S. Bryant. Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and W.H.H. Edge, clerk.

Union Church in Leon County by her messengers, J.C. Baker and W.M. McLeod, was received.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association by Elder William Thomas; San Marcos by Elder M.F. Wright and Brother D.R. Bagley.

This year the association had 14 churches and 250 members; contribution, $28.50.

1891 This year the association met with Ebenezer Church in Brazos County, July 24, 25 and 26. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Denton; Elder J.W. Meredith, moderator, and J.C. Denton, clerk.

H.C. Satterwhite and D.R. Bagley were received as correspondents from San Marcos Association.

I noticed a short obituary of Elder J.T. Seeley in the minutes of the association. In part the writer said, "We feel that in the death of Elder J.T. Seeley, we have lost a faithful minister of the gospel, a valiant soldier of the cross, whose armor was always on, whose zeal was untiring, whose faith was unwavering and who had withstood the enemy in many a fierce conflict, and through we rejoice at the thought of his being now at rest in peace amid the glorified throng of Heaven, we miss him greatly and sadly his strong and manly form, his grave and familiar face, his commanding voice and magnetic influence in the pulpit, in council and in the social circle".

Elder Seeley's ministerial course and labors entered largely into the affairs of the history of our people in Texas. Because of his successful opposition to the two-seed heresy, the Baptists that lived in his part of Texas were called "Seelyites".

The association this year had 14 churches (Frost Creek and Little Flock being dissolved) and 213 members; contribution, $12.75.

1892 The association met this year with Union Church in Leon County, July 22, 23 and 24. Elder William Thomas preached the introductory sermon. Elder S. Bryant was moderator, and J.C. Denton, clerk.

Antioch Church, Navarro County, was rejected by the association because the first article of her confession of faith reads, "We believe in one only true and living God, the Creator of all created things". The word "created" was what the association objected to.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association by Elder William Thomas, J.N. Hudson and C.C. Evans.

The association had 9 churches and 221 members; contribution, $18.45.

1893 This year the association met with New Hope Church, Freestone County, October 13, 14 and 15. Elder T.J. Moore preached the introductory sermon; Elder H. White was moderator, and J.E. Henderson, clerk.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony Association by minutes; Little Flock, J.H. Culp, C.C. Evans and J.N. Hudson.

The association had 12 churches and 247 members; contribution, $28.45.

1894 This year the association met with Bethlehem Church, Falls County, July 20, 21 and 22. Elder T.J. Moore preached the introductory sermon. H. White was moderator, and Joe E. Henderson, clerk.

Little Zion Church by her messengers, L.M. Cook and B.T. Howard, was received; also Pilgrim Rest Church, by her messengers, J.S. Owens and J.M. Davis, was received.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony Association by minutes; Little Flock, Elders W.Y. Norman, C.C. Evans and J.N. Hudson. Correspondence was returned.

The association had 13 churches and 233 members; contribution, $28.90.

1895 The association met this year with Shiloh Church, Leon County, July 26, 27 and 28. Elder J.C. Denton preached the first sermon. Elder H. White was moderator, and Joe E. Henderson, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock by Elder C.C. Evans.

The association had 14 churches and 300 members; contribution, $28.75.

1896 The association met this year with Zion Church at Wortham, July 24, 25 and 26. Elder J.W. Meredith preached the first sermon. Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and J.E. Henderson, clerk.

Bethsaida Church, Grimes County, and Prairie Point Church, Limestone County, were received. Elder J.C. Denton was pastor of Bethsaida Church, and A.D. Cencibaugh of Prairie Point.

Pilgrim Church at New Providence was dissolved.

The association had 13 churches, and 320 members; contribution, $30.35.

1897 The association met this year with Hopewell Church at Brewer, July 16, 17 and 18. Elder T.J. Moore preached the introductory sermon and was chosen moderator, F.B. Bond was clerk.

Shiloh Church, Leon County, by her messengers, J.W. Herrin and W.B. Brooks, was received.

The association had 9 churches and 201 members; contribution, $20.85.

1898 The association met this year with Little Zion Church, Navarro County, July 22, 23 and 24. Elder A.D. Cencibaugh preached the first sermon; Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and F.B. Bond, clerk.

Fellowship Church of Madison County by her messengers,

H.S. Wallace and F.R. Madole, was received.

Correspondence was received from Bethel Association by Elder A.F. Grafton; Little Flock, Elder J.N. Hudson; Village Creek, Elder J.A. Paine. Correspondence returned.

The association had 11 churches and 250 members contribution, $23.85.

1899 The association met with New Hope Church, Freestone County, July 14, 15 and 16. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder T.J. Moore, who was also chosen moderator; F.B. Bond was chosen clerk.

Antioch Church, Limestone County, by her messenger, Elder J.H. Thompson; Union Church, Leon County, by her messengers, J.C. Baker, C.M. Holleman and W.M. McLeod; Ebenezer Church, Brazos County, by her messengers, Elder W.P. Mooney and A.A. Simmons, were received into the association.

CorresPondence was received from Little Flock Association by Elder A.V. Adkins; Village Creek, Elder J.H. Fisher; Pilot Grove, Elder B.F. Casey; Hill County, Elder R.A. Biggs.

This year the association had 12 churches and 280 members; contribution, $13.00.

1900 The association met this year with Fellowship Church, Madison County, July 13, 14 and 15. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.D. Cencibaugh. Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and F.B. Bond, clerk.

Little Zion Church was dismissed from the association to join Hill County Association.

The association had 11 churches and 300 members; contribution, $13.00.

1901 The association met this year with Bethlehem Church, Robertson County, July 26, 27 and 28. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.H. Thompson. Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and F.B. Bond, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Hill County Association by Elder E.R. Robinson and B.L. Owens; Little Flock by Elder C.C. Evans.

Oak Grove Church was dissolved during this year.

The association had 10 churches and 294 members; contribution $24.50.

1902 The association met this year with Hopewell Church, Freestone County, July 25, 26 and 27. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.W. Meredith. Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and F.B. Bond, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Chambers Creek Association by Elder A.F. Grafton; Hill County, Elder E.R. Robinson; Little Flock, Elder S.C. Kyle.

At this session correspondence was dropped with Bethel Association for going into the doctrine of absolute predestination of all things.

The association had 10 churches and 283 members; contribution, $20.85.

1903 This year the association met with New Hope Church, Freestone County, July 24, 25 and 26. T.J. Moore preached the introductory sermon and was made moderator, F.B. Bond was clerk.

Correspondence was received from Hill County Association by Elder E.R. Robinson and S. Yates; Little Flock, Village Creek and Chambers Creek, by minutes.

The association had 10 churches and 293 members; contribution, $10.00.

1904 The association met with Shiloh Church, Leon County, July 22, 23 and 24. Elder H. White preached the introductory sermon. Elder T.J. Moore was moderator, and W.T. Kilgore, clerk.

Mt. Zion Church by her messengers, Elder J.R. Collier and R.V. Holleman, was received.

The association had 10 churches and 231 members; contribution, $19.15.

1905 The association met this year with Fellowship Church, Madison County, July 21, 22 and 23. Elder H. White preached the first sermon; Elder T.J. Moore, moderator, and J.A. Moore, clerk.

Correspondence received from Little Flock Association by J.M. Mayfield.

The association had 8 churches and 235 members; contribution, $15.00.


ANTIOCH CHURCH

Antioch Church was constituted June 11, 1855, in Navarro County, by Elders C.T. Echols and J.G. Neal, with the following members: William Melton, Sarah Melton, Radford Burke, John Stroder and Elizabeth Stroder. The first person to join this church by experience was Ruth Anderson, who manifested a commendable and Godly zeal by riding some twenty-five or thirty miles on horse back through a thinly settled country to secure the services of a minister, which led to the constitution of a church. Let this be recorded in a book to be read by generations yet to be born, that Sister Ruth Anderson was full of good works, alms and deeds, which she did.

Elder J.G. Neal was called to the pastoral care of the church soon after it was constituted. This church joined the Union Association in 1855. In September 1857, the church obtained a letter of dismission from the Union Association to go into the constitution of a new association. I judge the church did not go into the constitution of the Trinity Association as the church in 1858 applied for membership in that body.

In 1864, Elders John W. Owens and Bond were called jointly to the care of the church. In 1866, Elder J.G. Neal was again called. In 1869, Elder L.M. Duke was called to the care of the church; in 1870, Elder G.R. Hogue. In 1875, Elder J.H. Weeks was called as an assistant supply for the church. In January 1876, Elder A.G. Hudspeth was called in connection with Elder Weeks, and in 1880, Elder A.L. Hosier was called with Elder Hudspeth.

In 1884, the church declared non-fellowship for non-resurrectionism, two-seedism and the predestination of all things. For some cause, the church dropped out of the Trinity River Association and in 1881 the church joined the Pilgrim's Rest Association. In 1886, when the letter from this church to the Pilgrim's Rest Association was presented, it was tabled.

In 1890, Elder W.A. Moon was called to the care of the church. In August 1891, the following was added to the resolution of November 1884. "We believe that the predestination of God has reference, only to the elect, or children of God as taught by the Apostle Paul in the 8th chapter of Romans, and the 1st chapter of Ephesians."

In 1892, Elder L.J. Gresham was called to the care of the church. This church divided in September 1897 over the legality of a brother's baptism, who was received at a private house where no conference had been appointed. This trouble was not adjusted till 1905.

Elder W.A. Moon died in March 1900, and Elder A.L. Hosier in December 1902.

In March 1901, W.L. Phillips was ordained to the ministry and called to the care of the church with Elder Hosier. Elder T.J. Moore was called to the care of the church in connection with Elder Phillips in February 1905. In July 1906, the church joined the Primitive Baptist Association.

This was the first Primitive Baptist Church constituted in Navarro County.


OAK GROVE CHURCH

Oak Grove Church was constituted May 14, 1871, in Freestone County, by Elders G.W. McDonald and James Beaver with the following members: Leonard Daniel, S.C. Denton, J.C. Denton, Benjamin McMillon, William Moore, Arkansas Moore, J.T. and Sarah Seeley.

After the church was organized, it had J.C. Denton ordained to the ministry by Elders G.W. McDonald and James Beaver, and at one time called him to the pastoral care of the church, who served as pastor till 1874.

S.C. Denton was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the second Sunday in May 1873, by Elders J.T. Seeley and J.C. Denton. Elder S.C. Denton was at once called to the care of the church and served till March 1878, when Elder J.C. Denton was chosen again and served till April 1880, when Elder J.T. Seeley was chosen and served till February 1885, when Elder T.J. Moore was called and served till the church was dissolved October 20, 1900.


HOPEWELL CHURCH

Hopewell Church was organized June 24, 1871, ten miles west of Fairfield, Freestone County, by Elders J.H. Reeves and C.T. Echols, with the following members: J.S. Jones and wife, Nancy Jones, Andrew J. Jones and wife, M.E. Jones, L.C. Jones and wife, C.A. Jones, J.M. Jones and wife, L.A. Jones, A.J. Jones, J.F. Yearby and wife, S.A. Yearby, W.J. Yearby, Sterling Sims and wife, E. Sims, and W.W. Groves.

Elder C.T. Echols was called to the pastoral care of the church at the time it was constituted and served until the early part of 1874, when Elder W.M. Roden was called, and in December following, Elder S. Bryant was chosen pastor. In 1877, Elder J.H. Reeves was called in connection with Elder S. Bryant.

In September 1883, J.L. Lindsey was ordained to the ministry by Elders J.S. Collings and S. Bryant, and was chosen pastor and served until 1894, when Elder J.W. Meredith was called, in which capacity he served until 1905, when Elder A.T. Stokes was called and served until March, 1905, when Elder S.C. Kyle was called, and is the present pastor.

In October 1871, this church joined Union Association. A few years later the church withdrew from Union Association, and was in the constitution of Big Creek Association. On account of the two-seed doctrine this church withdrew from Big Creek Association, and in 1888 joined the Primitive Baptist Association, and is a member of that body.


BETHLEHEM CHURCH

Bethlehem Church was constituted the second Sunday in March 1876, at the Post Oak Schoolhouse in Robinson County, by Elders J.T. Seeley and J.C. Denton with the following members: Daniel Morgan, D.H. Morgan, Caroline Morgan, J.W. Pittman, J.T. Standford, A.E. Hardy and M.R. Bond.

The record does not show who were the first pastors of this church, but it is thought that Elders Seeley and Denton preached for the church for several years. L.E. Bagwell was ordained to the ministry (date not given) by Elders J.T. Seeley and L.G. Aspley who served the church till March 1878, when Elder J.C. Denton was called again and continued inthe pastoral care of the church till October 1883, at which time Elder E.S. Gunter was called.

In 1885, Elder Gunter was excluded for unsoundness in doctrine and practice. In 1885, the church declared non-fellowship for the "Parkerire Two-seed heresy".

Elders H. White, L.J. Gresham, T.J. Moore and A.A. Watts have served the church since 1885. A.A. Watts was ordained to the ministry by Elders T.J. Moore and S.C. Kyle, the first Sunday in June 1905.


EBENEZER CHURCH

Ebenezer Church was constituted on Saturday before the fifth Sunday in December 1898, at the Reliance Schoolhouse in Brazos County, by Elders J.T. Seeley and J.C. Denton with the following members: H.T. Wilson, W.H.H. Edge and J.G. Risinger.

After the constitution, Elder J.C. Denton was called to serve the church and, January 10, 1880, Elder Denton joined the church by letter from Oak Grove Church, Freestone County.

This church petitioned Primitive Baptist Association that convened with Mt. Vernon Church in Bell County, for membership. The following is the petitionary letter: "Dear Brethren: We send you this, our petitionary letter, by the hands of our messengers, E.B. Gorbit, J.W. Meredith, Elder J.C. Denton and J.M. Lawless, whom we have chosen to represent us before your body. We desire to unite with you as an association, provided we can be received on the following declaration of our faith:

1st While we believe that associations as union meetings or reunions are productive of good, we don't believe they should be regarded as advisory councils, or that they should be clothed with any disciplinary authority whatever over the churches. We believe the Church of Christ is the only ecclesiastical organization known in the New Testament, and that while organization is essential to the existence of a Church of Christ, consolidation is not. So the fact of a church belonging to an association or not belonging to one has nothing to do with deciding whether or not it is a Church of Christ. Therefore, associations are things of discretion and not of absolute necessity. We believe the abuse of associational authority has been the cause of much unnecessary contention, strife and even division among our people, and we rejoice to see a general awakening on the subject throughout the borders of Zion.

2nd With regard to the doctrinal issues of the day within the bounds of our denomination, we believe in the doctrine of election, the salvation of the Adam sinner, and that this salvation is consummated in the regeneration of the soul, and the resurrection of the body, and we regard the theory of eternal children in actual union with Christ before time as being destructive of the doctrine of grace, and the proper place and unity of the saints.

Now brethren, we feel that we have acted faithfully to you in this, our petitionary letter for membership with you, and we hope you will be equally candid and faithful with us in the matter of its reception. * * * Done by act of the church in conference on Saturday before the second Sunday in July 1881.

Elder J.C. Denton, Moderator W.H.H. Edge, Clerk"

E.S. Gunter was ordained to the ministry October 03, 1883, by Elder J.C. Denton and Deacon H.T. Wilson, and was dismissed by letter from the church August 18, 1885. Elder W.A. Davenport was called to the care of the church in October 1886, and joined the church by letter December 14, 1886. In November 1886, Elder Hedley White was chosen pastor, and in August 1892, Elder J.N. Hudson was chosen pastor.

Elder J.P. Lambert joined the church by letter December 17, 1892. Elder J.G. Denton was again called in December 1894.

W.E. Meredith was ordained to the ministry on the third Sunday in March 1895, by Elder J.B. Downing, I.J. Taylor, W.S. Broom and J.C. Denton. In March 1896 Elder Meredith was chosen pastor of the church.

On Saturday before the third Sunday in May, the following resolution was introduced into the church by Elder I.J. Taylor, the church record says: "Elder I.J. Taylor presented to the church for consideration and adoption entitled, "Resolution of non-fellowship for associations as organized bodies or compact of churches which, by move and second, was read and discussed at some length and passed over to the next conference." At the next conference meeting the resolution was called up but passed over to the next.

The church record of April 1898 shows that the bars of non-fellowship against organized associations that were introduced by Elders J.C. Denton and I.J. Taylor were voted out of the church. Elders Denton and Taylor carried off quite a number of the membership of this church.

On the third Sunday in June 1898, W.P. Mooney was ordained to the ministry by Elders J.N. Hudson, H. White, and two or three deacons and, in October following, Elder Mooney was chosen pastor of the church.

In June 1899, the church applied to the Primitive Baptist Association for membership, provided the association would receive the church on the following declaration of faith.

"lst While we believe that associations or union meetings or reunions are productive of good, we don't believe they should be regarded as advisory councils or that they should be clothed with any disciplinary authority whatever over the churches. We believe the Church of Christ is the only ecclesiastical organization known in the New Testament and that while organization is essential to the existence of a Church of Christ, consolidation in not. So the fact of a church belonging to an association or not belonging to one has nothing to do with deciding the question as to whether or not it is a Church of Christ. Therefore, associations are things of discretion and not of absolute necessity, ect."

Elder H. White was called to serve the church in July 1902. In June 1903, Elder T.R. Collier was called to the care of the church. In January 1904, Elder W.P. Mooney was dismissed from the church by letter.

The church is now about extinct.


ZION CHURCH

Zion Church was organized at Cade in Navarro County, May 24, 1879, by Elders J.C. Denton and J.T. Seeley, with the following members: Elder J.T. Seeley, S.A. Dunagan, L. Gilbert, Anna Frazier and L. Nichols.

Elders J.C. Denton and J.T. Seeley served this church until Elder Seeley died, since which time, Elder T.J. Moore has served with Elder S.C. Kyle as joint pastor.

The church was in the constitution of Primitive Baptist Association and is still a member of that body.


SHILOH CHURCH

Shiloh Church was constituted December 14, 1881, about nine miles southeast of Marquez, Leon County, by Elders J.L. Taylor, S. Bryant, M.M. Gibson and Deacons Tilmon Self, L.S. Bean and Jasper Laird, with the following members: H. and Rebecca Richardson, S.H. Brooks, R. Moon, Mary C. Morris and Elizabeth Mansel.

Elder S. Bryant served the church for a short while after it was constituted, when H. White was ordained to the ministry and has served the church until the present time.

This church was in the constitution of Big Creek Association. In a year or so after the constitution of said association, the Parkerite two-seed doctrine became fully developed by some of the preachers in the association. In August 1884, the church passed the following resolution: "Whereas there is a doctrine among Primitive Baptists, known as the "Parkerite two-seed heresy," which has caused much contention and trouble among Primitive Baptists, and we the members of Shiloh Church, believing it to be heresy in all its forms, therefore be it resolved, that we have no fellowship or affiliation with it in any of its various forms whatever."

The church withdrew from Big Creek Association and joined Primitive Baptist Association in 1884 and is still a member of that body.

In June 1890, the church declared non-fellowship for the predestination of all things, including sin.


FELLOWSHIP CHURCH

Fellowship Church was organized September 8, 1883, at Liberty Schoolhouse in Madison County, by Elder J.C. Denton and Deacon E.B. Gorbit with the following members: J.F. Key, J.N. Griffin, Fannie Griffin, W.A. Price, Lenora Price, J.T. Key, Asley Key, N.B. Haney, E.J. Haney, A. Hutcherson and M.J. Williams.

The church chose Elder J.C. Denton pastor in which capacity he continued till July 1897, with some short intervals. Elder H. White serving from February 1889, till 1890. Elder A.G. Blackwell served the church in 1893.

The church remained in peace and harmony until May 1897, at which time Elders J.C. Denton and I.J. Taylor introduced a resolution declaring non-fellowship for all Baptists holding to organized associations. Elder Denton said he would read the resolution for the church's consideration, but would not ask the church to act on it then, but would at the proper time. The matter went on until the July meeting in 1897. While in conference there was a move and second not to allow the resolutions of non-fellowship to ever come into the church nor anything that pertained to it. The motion was carried by three fourth of the members present. Elder Denton, who was a member of the church, refused to submit to the action of the church which resulted in his exclusion, and also nine other members that went off with him. Four have since came back to the church.

In August 1897, Elder H. White was again chosen and served till January 1898, when Elder W.P. Mooney was chosen and he and Elder White served alternately till August 1902, when Elder J.R. Collier was called and still serves the church.

This done by order of the church in conference on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in November 1905.

J.R. Collier, Moderator H.S. Wallace, C.C.


SHILOH CHURCH (NOW POINT ENTERPRISE)

Shiloh Church was constituted on Saturday before the second sunday in May 1888, in the Shiloh Community, Limestone County, by Elders J.T. Seeley and J.P. May, with the following members: Elder J.P. May, J.T. Stanford and wife, W.O. Farrington and wife, and Sister D.E. Shanks.

Elders J.P. May, S. Bryant, J.W. Meredith and C.P. Grizard served the church till February 1893. In May 1894, the church moved to Point Enterprise near Mexia and the name of the church was changed.

The same church is now known by the name of Point Enterpise. Elders T.J. Moore and A.D. Cencibaugh served the church till 1900, when A.L. Stokes was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the first Sunday in October 1900, by Elders A.D. Cencibaugh and E.R. Robinson, since which time Elder Stokes has the pastoral care of the church.


ANTIOCH CHURCH

Antioch Church, No. 2. was constituted October 29, 1889, near Cooledge in Limestone County, by Elders T.J. Moore and J.H. Thompson with the following members: J.J. Roberts, J.M. Davis, B. McCulloch, Sarah Roberts, M.E. Davis, N.S. Davis and Nancy Jones.

Elder J.H. Thompson was called to the pastoral care of the church at its constitution and served the church till 1903, when Elder J.B. Cottle was called, but only served a short time, when Elder Thompson was called again and served till December 1905, when Elder J.A. Moore was called, who is Still serving the church.


UNION CHURCH

Union Church was constituted on Saturday before the second Sunday in July 1890, three miles north of Roger's Prairie, Leon County, by Elders J.C. Denton, H. White and Deacons W.H.H. Edge and J.W. Herron, with the following members: J.H. O'Neal, S.H. Brooks, T.S. Faulk, C.M. Holleman, J.C. Baker, W.M. McLeod, A. Ellison, J.T. Ellison, M.C. Morris, Martha Hightower, M.J. Hamilton, S.D. McKnight, Emeline McLeod, Margaret Brooks and Larine Ellison.

Elders J.C. Denton and H. White served this church alternately from constitution till February 1898, when Elder W.P. Mooney was called, since which time Elders H. White and J.R. Collier have served the church.

The church first joined the Primitive Baptist Association in 1890, and remained in said body till 1896, when the church received permission from the association to go into the constitution of a new association with four other churches. The new association was constituted with Fellowship Church in Madison County on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in September 1896.

After the association was organized, it never met again, caused principally by the uncompromising opposition to organized associations by Elders J.C. Denton and I.J. Taylor.

Ebenezer Church in Brazos County and Fellowship Church in Madison County had been divided over some resolutions of non-fellowship for organized associations which had been introduced by Elders J.C. Denton and I.J. Taylor; by the request of said churches the Baptists met in council with Ebenezer and Fellowship Churches and sustained the order of said churches and discarded Elders Denton and Taylor; since which time these elders have had no connection with the orderly Baptists of Texas. The churches that went into the new association went back into the Primitive Baptist Association.


MT. ZION CHURCH

Mt. Zion Church was constituted March 19, 1904, at Wealthy Schoolhouse in Leon County, on the Bryan-Centerville road, five miles north-east of the old San Antonio crossing of the Navasota river, by Elders H. White, Henry Kilgore, and Deacons J.F. Key and J.F. Fannin, with the following members: Elder J.R. Collier and Sister M.A. Buckner with letters from Shiloh Church, Leon County; R.V. and C.M. Holleman and Sister R.J. Barker, Union Church, Leon County, R.V. Holleman, being a licentiate. J.M. Lawless and Clark Cobb, Ebenezer Church, Brazos County, Clark Cobb, being a licentiate; Sister Cornelius Collier, Beaula Church, Nacogdoches County; Brother S.J.L. Powers and wife, Sister J.T.L. Powers from New Providence Church, Milam County.

The church chose Elder J.R. Collier pastor, and R.V. Holleman, clerk, each serving in that capacity until the present time.

The church has three ordained ministers, viz: J.R. Collier, W.P. Mooney and R.V. Holleman; one licentiate, Clark Cobb.

The church joined Primitive Baptist Association in 1904; her present membership numbers twenty-five.

Last Updated ( Friday, 13 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.