header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Pilot Grove Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Pilot Grove Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   


PILOT GROVE ASSOCIATION

Pilot Grove Association was constituted with Caney Church, Fannin County, in October 1849. The following churches and messengers, were in the constitution of said association: North Sulphur Church, Lamar County, Elder Jesse Butler, Elder William Brackeen, Thomas Yates and Zachariah Birdwell, messengers; Middle Sulphur Church, Hopkins County, David Alerd, messenger; Pilot Grove Church, Grayson County, Hiram Savage, Hezakiah Worden, Job Butler and Sabert Scott, messengers; New Hope Church, Fannin County, Elder Benjamin Walker, James McFarlin, Caleb Herd and George Downing, messengers; Caney Church, Fannin County, Charles Lee, Joseph Fowler, Elder Calvin Gage and Zachariah Hutchins, messengers.

The moderator and clerk of the association were Elder Jesse Butler and Sabert Scott, respectively.

I have no way of finding out the number of members in the five churches that were in the constitution of this association. The contribution for publishing the minutes was $15.00.

1850 The association met this year with Pilot Grove Church, Grayson County, Saturday before the second Sunday in October. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder Benjamin Walker; Elder Hiram Savage, moderator, and Hiram Bennett, clerk.

The following churches and messengers were received: East Fork Church, Collin County, Elder G. Fitzhugh and M. Foster, messengers; Pleasant Run Church, J. Hurst, S.A. Fisher and James Chapman, messengers; Cedar Springs Church, J. Cox and H. Bennett, messengers.

This year the association comprised 8 churches with 125 members; contribution, $14.50.

1851 The association met this year with North Sulphur Church, Lamar County, on Friday before the fourth Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder Gabrel Fitzhugh, who was chosen moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

Pecan Point Church, Collin County, by her messenger, William Gotcher; and Cedar Church by her messenger, H. Savage, were received into the association.

Correspondence was petitioned with Sulphur Fork, Little Hope and Union Associations.

This year the association comprised 10 churches with 220 members; contribution, $26.50.

1852 The association met this year with Pleasant Run Church, Dallas County, on Saturday before the second Sunday in October. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder Hiram Savage, who was chosen moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

This year the association was composed of 10 churches with 271 members; contribution, $7.50.

1853 The association met this year with Caney Church, Fannin County, on Saturday before the third Sunday in June. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder Henry Hurley. Elder Hiram Savage was chosen moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

Shiloh Church, Hunt County, by her messenger, W. Hefner was received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder W.J. SoRelle.

This year the association was composed of 11 churches with 217 members; contribution, $14.45.

1854 The association met this year with Shiloh Church, Hunt County, September 2, 3 and 4. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.E. Deatherage, who was moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

Mt. Gilead Church of Dallas County, by her messengers, S.A. Fisher, S. and J.S. Beeman; Orchard Gap Church of Collin County, by W.S. Fisher, George Fitzhugh and P.F. Lucas; Cross Timbers Church of Cooke County by John Brunk; New Hope Church of Hopkins County, R. Hodges and S. Odle, were received into the association.

Shiloh Church asked the question, "Is it right to have in fellowship members who join or frequent the Free Mason's lodge?" The association's answer was no. Hence, the Pilot Point Church was dropped from the association for holding fellowship with members who belonged to the lodge of Free Masons.

This year the association had 13 church with 240 members; contribution, $17.50.

1855 The association met with Mount Gilead Church, Dallas County, September 1, 2 and 3. Elder W.J. SoRelle preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.E. Deatherage was chosen moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

Bethlehem Church of Dallas County, by her messengers, Elder J. Sneed and E.S. Rhodes; Denton Creek Church of Denton County, by S. Loving and J. Fannin; Little Flock Church, Collin County, by W. Wisdom, T. Wisdom and J. Moore, were received into the association.

The association this year comprised 15 churches with 300 members; contribution, $20.60.

1856 The association met this year with Cedar Creek Church of Denton County, September 6, 7 and 8. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.E. Deatherage, who was moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by Elder J.G. Neal and E.A. Bowen; and from Sulphur Fork, by Elder John Deaton and Page Harmon, correspondence returned.

This year the association composed of 13 churches with 335 members; contribution, $15.00.

1857 This year the association met with New Hope Church of Hunt County, on Saturday before the first Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W. Fisher. Elder J.E. Deatherage was chosen moderator, and James Chapman, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association, by Elders Thomas Hanks, J.G. Neal and Brother D.A. Owens; from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder Alfred Hefner, A.B. Mason and R. Auburry; and from Little Hope Association, by Thomas Britton. Correspondence was returned.

Pleasant Run, Denton Creek and Bethlehem Churches, were dismissed to go into the organization of another association with other churches on Saturday before the second Sunday in November of this year to convene with Cedar Fork Church, of Parker County.

This year the association comprised 14 churches with 336 members; contribution, $11.00.

1858 The association met this year with Orchard Gap Church of Collin County, September 4, 5 and 6. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder Henry Hurley. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and Elder W.J. SoRelle, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by D.A. Owens and J.G. Ratliff; from Little Hope Association by J. Fowler; and from Trinity River Association by Elders J.G. Neal, Samuel Clark and J. Butler.

The association this year was composed of 13 churches with 273 members; contribution, $13.55.

1859 This year the association met with Cross Timbers Church, Cooke County, on Saturday before the first Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder S.G.Atkins. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and W.J. SoRelle, clerk.

Providence Church of Grayson County was received by her messengers, Elders H. Savage and S.G. Arkins.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elders John Sneed, John Butler, Sam Clark and L.D. Skidmore; and from Little Hope Association by Elder Thomas Britton and Brother S. Snow.

The association this year was composed of 12 churches with 230 members; contribution, $8.75.

1860 This year the association met with Shiloh Church, Hunt County, on Saturday before the first Sunday in September. the introductory sermon was preached by Elder H. Savage. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and W.J. SoRelle, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Hope Association, by Elder Thomas Britton and S. Snow; and from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder J.J. Page.

The association this year was composed of 10 churches with 206 members; contribution, $11.50.

1861 The association met this year with Orchard Gap Church, Collin County, on Saturday before the third Sunday in September, the introductory sermon was preached by Elder John Bryan. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and W.H. Fisher, clerk.

Bethlehem Church of Fannin County, was received by her messengers, Elder S.G. Atkins and Brother M. Sebastian.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elders Sam Clark and L.D. Skidmore; from Sulphur Fork by Elder A. Hefner; and from Union by D. Owens and J.W. Owens.

This year the association had 13 churches, 146 members. contribution, $12.25.

1862 This year the association met with Caney Church, Fannin County, on Saturday before the third Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder S.G. Atkins. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and W.J. SoRelle, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by D.A. Owens; from Trinity River Association by Elder J. Green; and Sulphur Fork Association by Elder A. Hefner. Cedar Creek Church was dissolved during this year.

The association had 10 churches with 173 members; contribution, $19.50.

1863 The association met this year with Bethlehem Church, Fannin County, on Saturday before the third Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.S. Fisher. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and J. Shodgrass, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Hope Association by letter.

The association this year was composed of 10 churches with 176 members; contribution, $47.50.

1864 The association met this year with Orchard Gap Church, Collin County, on Saturday before the third Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.E. Deatherage, who was moderator, and J. Snodgrass, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elder S. Clark; from Little Hope Association by D.A. Owens; and from the Union Association by Elder J.A. Owens and D.A. Owens.

The association this year had 10 churches with 216 members; contribution, $12.00.

1865 This year the association met with Pilot Grove Church, Grayson County, on Saturday before the third Sunday in September. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Green. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and C. Pace, clerk.

Little Vine Church, of Lamar County, was received by her messengers, G.M. Connally, D. Baker and C. Pace.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by Elder Ben Parker; from Trinity River Association by Elder Autrey and Isaac Parker; and from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder A. Hefner.

This year the association had 11 churches and 271 members; contribution, $17.50.

1866 The association met this year with Little Flock Church, Collin County, September 15, 16 and 17. The introductory was preached by Elder J.E. Deatherage, who was moderator, and C.P. Pace, clerk.

Pleasant Springs Church was received by her messengers, W. Lewis and E. Moore.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by Alfred Hefner, and from Union Association by Brother McLaughlin.

The association this year had 10 churches with 213 members; contribution, $27.00

1867 The association met this year with Mount Gilead Church, Dallas County, September 14, 15 and 16. The introductory sermon was preached by W.H. Price. Elder J.E. Deatherage was moderator, and W.J. SoRelle, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by H. Bradley and J. Booz.

The association this year had 11 churches with 325 members; contribution, $26.00.

1868 This year the association met with Pilot Grove Church, Grayson County, September 19, 20 and 21. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Price; Elder J.E. Deatherage, moderator, and J.E. Lloyd, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by minutes.

The association appointed Elder J.E. Deatherage to write the obituary of Elder W.J. SoRelle. In part he said; "Elder W.J. SoRelle was called by grace in early life to the work of the ministry. After spending a bold defense of the gospel in parts of Alabama and Georgia, he moved to Texas, where he continued the uncompromising advocate of the truth and gospel order. He finished his course and layed his armor by, and fell asleep in Jesus, on the 22nd day of March 1868."

This year the association had 11 churches with 371 members; contribution, $18.50.

1869 The association met this year with Little Vine Church, Lamar County. The introductory sermon was preached by J.M.C. Robertson; Elder J.E. Deatherage, moderator, and W.S. Harris, clerk.

Shady Grove Church, Hopkins County, by her messengers, James Stinnett, Z. Birdswell, Elder J. Harmon and J. Stockton; and Lake Fork Church by her messenger, C.C. Shepherd, were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by Elders J.W. Ray and W.B. Stringer.

This year the association had 12 churches with 400 members; contribution, $23.00.

1870 The association met this year with Caney Church of Fannin County, September 17, 18 and 19. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Price; Elder J.E. Deatherage, moderator, and W.S. Harris, clerk.

Corinth Church, Fannin County, was received into the association by her messengers, T.P. Davis, A.T. Burleson and M.P. White.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association, by Elder Sam Clark; from Sulphur Fork Association, by Elder J.W. Ray and William Caudle; and from Union Association by letter.

This year the association had 13 churches with 441 members; contribution, $35.25.

1871 The association met this year with Cross Timbers Church of Grayson County, September 16, 17 and 18. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.M. Hollis; Elder W.H. Price, moderator, and H.G. Hurst, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association, by Elders Sam Clark, William Flanagan and A. Matlock; and from Union Association by J.G. Ratliff.

The association appointed Elders W.S. Fisher and W.H. Price to write the obituary of Elder J.E. Deatherage. In part, they said, "Elder J.E. Deatherage departed this life August 14, 1871. He was born in Green County, Tennessee, September 28, 1817. In the 12th or 13th year of his age he professed a hope in Christ. In 1830, he joined Shiloh Church and was baptized by W.H. Sellers. In 1850 he was ordained to the ministry. He was moderator of the Pilot Grove Association 18 years and was pastor of 3 churches at the time of his death."

The association this year had 13 churches with 365 members; contribution, $30.25.

1872 The association met this year with Shiloh Church of Hunt County, September 14, 15 and 16. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.S. Fisher; Elder J.M.C. Robertson, moderator, and H.G. Hurst, clerk.

Walnut Springs Church of Grayson County, by her messengeers, J. Eaton; and Antioch Church of Bell County, by her messenger, J.M. Freeman, was received into the association.

Correspondence was dropped with the Trinity River Association. Correspondence received from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder C.A. Parker and W.J. Caudle; and from Union Association, by minutes.

The association this year had 15 churches with 470 members; contribution, $34.70.

1873 The association met this year with Orchard Gap Church, Collin County, September 20, 21 and 22. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.M.C. Robertson, who was moderator, and H.G. Hurst, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder C.A. Parker; and from Union Association by Elder Ben Parker.

The following resolution was unanimously adopted by the association. "Whereas, a prominent element, not only in our own association; but in some of our sister adjoining associations, claiming to be Old School Baptists, are holding religious tenets, heretical and unwarranted by the Bible, which is a palpable departure from the doctrine of the old order of Baptists, and subversive of the truths entertained by them from time immemorial; and whereas the promulgation of these hetrodox principles by some of our brethren is producing unpleasantness and estrangement among brethren in our association; and will ultimately result in its disruption, if persisted in; and whereas the past history of this doctrine testifies to its dire influence in our sister associations of other states - so in like manner, we see its influence more recently in diffusing a spirit of bitterness among us, and destroying the divine sympathy and love which brethren should entertain for each other. Therefore, it becomes an imperative duty to make public for the inspection of our brethren everywhere, as well as all others concerned, some of the doctrine held to and promulgated by some of our brethren, not only here but in some of our sister associations, also give an expression of our unqualified disapproval of them.

1. Some of them preach that God is not the creator of all things, both visible and invisible; that he is not before all things by whom all things consist, and consequently creation does not mean that God made something out of nothing, but that matter has ever existed, thereby Deifying matter.

2. They hold that, in the original creation of Adam, he was not the seminal, or federal head, of the human family, but of the elect only and that they only were under the law, and were all redeemed by Christ, and will finally be saved; that the non-elect were a multiplicity after the transformation, and were never under the law violated by Adam, and are lost, not because of willful violation of God's law by because of their Satanic origin or relationship.

3. They further hold that the violation or transformation of God's law does not justly subject the violators to an eternal punishment.

4. It is further preached by some that nothing goes to God at the death of the body but what came from God, and consequently the soul must be consigned to the tomb as well as the body - as the soul, body and spirit constitute the Adamic man, the creature of God, and proceedeth not from God in any other sense, only as His creature.

5. They, or some of them, preach that the bodies of neither the just or the unjust, will ever be resurrected." Resolutions of non-fellowship:

1. "Resolved, that the foregoing doctrines are wholly at variance with the teachings of the Bible, and that its promulgation within the Old School Baptist connections is deleterious to the cause of Christ, and destructive of the peace and happiness of the brotherhood.

2. Resolved, that its tendency is, and always has been to distract, distress and divide the Baptist, we, therefore, hereby condemn, and repudiate the doctrine, not only in its abstract principles, but in its practical workings, also.

3. Resolved, that we have no fellowship for the heresies above enumerated, that we will not bid those God's speed, who preach such doctrines, and we advise our churches not to invite them into their pulpits.

4. Resolved, that in this our solemn protestation, against and making this deciaration of non-fellowship, for these obnoxious religious principles, that we do it with no disposition to prescribe those who hold them, nor with a spirit of vindictiveness, but with the fear of God, and the love of His truth and for the peace and harmony of Zion.

5. Resolved, that we recommend our sister associations, with whom we correspond, to make declarations of non-fellow-ship for the foregoing doctrine, and to withdraw from any church within their bounds, holding the same.

6. Resolved, that henceforth we will reject the correspondence of sister associations, who hold in their connection, those who preach those repulsive doctrines."

An obituary of W.A. Green, who was born in Kentucky, December 19, 1819, appears in the records of the association. He professed a hope in Christ in 1840 and joined the church the same year. In 1842, he removed to Mississippi, where he was married to Miss Sarah Pratt. In 1843, he went to Arkansas. In 1846, he was ordained to the full work of the ministry. In 1864, he came to Texas where, in 1869, his wife died. In 1871, he was married to Miss Catherine Sebastian, with whom he lived happily until his death, March 1, 1873.

This year the association had 15 churches with 512 members; contribution, $24.85.

1874 The association met this year with Little Flock Church, Collin County, September 19, 20 and 21. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.H. Price; Elder J.M.C. Robertson, moderator, and H.G. Hurst, clerk.

Little Band Church was received into the association, by her messengers.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by G.A. Polk, who was a licensed minister; and from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder C.A. Parker.

Macedonia Church was received into the association by her messengers, Elder I.N. Lewis and T. Wisdom.

At this session, some dissatisfaction, relative to the act of the association at her last session, in declaring non-fellowship for two-seedism, was manifested. A committee was appointed to adjust the matter, and following is what the committee did: "We, your committee, endorse the action of the association last year. The fourth clause of the eleventh article of the constitution of the association shall have power to drop from her fellowship, any church, which may depart from our articles of faith, and if they do not preach said doctrine, those resolutions will not hurt them."

The association this year had 15 churches with 562 members; contribution, $36.60.

1875 The association met this year with Lake Fork Church, Hopkins County, September 18, 19 and 20. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.H. Gotcher; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Sabine Church, of Hunt County, by her messengers, Elder J.M.C. Robertson, I.G. Swinson and F. Havens; and Antioch Church, of same county, by her messenger, R. Crank, were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by William Harris, M. Harris and T.S. Smith; from Union Association, by Elder J.B. Martin and J.G. Ratliff; and from Trinity River Association, by Elder Russell.

Upon a motion and second, the association agreed to drop Orchard Gap, Mount Gilead and Little Band Churches, from its fellowship, because of these churches refused to make the joining of their members to the Patrons of Husbandry, a bar of fellowship. The association also, by motion and second, granted a letter of dismission to Antioch Church of Bell County.

An obituary of Elder Jacob Sikes appears in the records of this session. Elder Jacob Sikes departed this life May 2, 1875. He was a member of Caney Church at the time of his death. He was born in North Carolina March 1, 1798, and has enjoyed in preaching the doctrines believed and held to by the Primitive Baptists, for over 40 years.

The association this year had 14 churches with 290 members; contribution, $21.30.

1876 This year the association met with Caney Church, Fannin County, September 16, 17 and 18. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.M.C. Robertson, who was also moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elder Flanagan, M.G. Turner and A.D. Bourland; and from Union Association by letter and minutes.

The association this year had 14 churches with 327 members; contribution, $22.75.

1877 This year the association met with Pilot Grove Church, Grayson County, September 1, 2 and 3. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.H. Gotther; Elder J.M.C. Robertson, moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Lone Tree Church, of Collin County, was received into the association by her messengers, Elder R.C. Kemper, N. Kemper and W. Burns.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder W.J. Caudle and M.S. Harris.

Cross Timbers Church was dropped from the association because she advocated the two-seedism and non-resurrection doctrines.

The association this year had 14 churches with 353 members; contribution, $25.25.

1878 This year the association met with New Hope Church, Raines County, September 1 and 2. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.M.C. Robertson, who was moderator, and H.G. Hurst, clerk.

Mount Olive Church of Grayson County by her messenger, N. Butler; Pleasant Garden Church of Collin County by her messengers, William Worden, J.W. Richey, Robert Johnson and Elder P.G. Johnson; Mount Gilead Church of Dallas County by her messengers, William Kemp and William Denton; and Zion Rest Church of Van Zandt County by her messengers, B.F. SoRelle and D.A. Monk, were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by Elder K.F. Polk, E.L. Smith and S.H. Waldrip.

The association this year had 17 churches with 399 members; contribution, $22.05.

1879 This year the association met with Lone Tree Church, Collin County, September 6, 7 and 8. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder P.G. Johnson; Elder J.M.C. Robertson, moderator, and H.G. Hurst, clerk.

Mountain Creek Church, of Montague County, was received into the association by her messenger, T.N. Wisdom.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by Elder Ben Parker; from Sulphur Fork by Elder W.J. Caudle and Robert Page; and from Trinity River by Elder N.N. Morris and A.D. Bourland. At this session, correspondence with Union Association was dropped.

Apetitionary letter was received from Harmony Association by her messengers, Elder W.S. Harris, R.A. Biggs and J.B. Taylor, which was favorably taken and correspondence returned.

This year the association had 20 churches and 451 members; contribution, $30.30.

1880 The association met this year with Caney Church, Fannin County, September 4, 5 and 6. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.H. Gotcher; Elder J.M.C. Robertson, moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Harmony Association by Elder W.S. Harris; from Sulphur Fork by Elder R.M. Pate; and from Trinity River by letter and minutes.

"On motion, we take into consideration the action of the last session, that of dropping correspondence with Union Association; the act being discussed for some time, we decided to rescind the act of dropping said correspondence and send Union Association a letter, asking her to rid herself of what is known as the two-seed doctrine in the flesh, as advocated by Elder Ben Parker.

This year the association had 17 churches with 416 members; contribution, $29.65.

1881 The association met this year with Little Vine Church, Lamar County, September 3, 4 and 5. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.M.C. Robertson, who was moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elder Sam McKelvy and A.D. Bourland; from Sulphur Fork by Elder J.H. McWilliams and W.J. Caudle; and from Harmony by letter.

This year the association had 13 churches and 465 members; contribution, $26.00.

1882 This year the association met with Pleasant Garden church, Collin County, September 3, 4 and 5. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder P.G. Johnson, who was moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Smyrna Church, of Collin County, was received into the association by her messengers, Elder S.W. Webb, W. Chambers, W.C. Andrews and A.L. Webb; also Shady Grove Church, which had once been a member of the association, was received back by her messengers, J.A. Caldwell and P.M. Monk.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by J.J. Hill.

From the record of this session we find this declaration. "The Pilot Grove Association, now in session with Pleasant Garden Church, Collin County, Texas, to her sister, Union Association: Very dear brethren in the Lord: Three years agowe dropped correspondence with you, and thought we were justifiable, from the fact that the corresponding messengers that you sent us, Elder Ben Parker, satisfied us that he held to the Daniel Parker two-seed heresy; but you, as a body, say that Parker does not advocate such doctrine publicly or privately; and after due consideration, we know that Parker is not Union Association, and that probability is that we have been too hasty, and may have done wrong; and if so, we are truly sorry for the same, and ask for forgiveness at your hands. Now, Brethren, as you have already stated, you have not the two-seed among you, we gladly solicit correspondence with you."

The association this year had 13 churches with 339 members; contribution, $23.75.

1883 The association met this year with Mount Olive Church, Grayson County, September 1, 2 and 3. Elder J.H. Gotcher preached the introductory sermon. Elder P.G. Johnson was moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Sardis Church of Fannin County by her messengers, Elder J.M.Meade, William Carter, S.J. Ray and J.W. Meade; and Red River Church of Red River County, by her messengers, B.F. Hudson, W.B. Cavnar and L.D. Miller, were received into the association.

Correspondence was received form Trinity River Association by minutes; and from Union, by Elder J.S. Collins.

"On motion, send a friendly letter to the extent, that the difficulty between this and Union Association was settled, and that H.G. Hurst prepare a letter to be sent to the same."

Harmony Association by her messenger, A. Caraway.

The association had 14 churches and 401 members; contribution, $25.50.

1884 The association met this year with Sabine Church, Hunt County, September 6, 7 and 8. Elder J.G. Webb preached the introductory sermon. Elder P.G. Johnson was moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Lone Star Church, Grayson County, by her messengers, Elder T.N. Cutler, T.O. Burcham and W.A. Cox; and Emmaus Church, Delta County, by her messenger, Elder J.P. Lambert were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by minutes; Sulphur Fork by Elder R.T. Webb; Union, Elder J.J. Johns; New Hope by letter; correspondence was returned.

The association had 16 churches and 380 members; contribution, $35.35.

1885 The association met this year with Smyrna Church, Collin County, September 5, 6 and 7. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.W. Cavnar. Elder P.G. Johnson was moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Pleasant Hill Church, Collin County, by her messengers P.J. Johnson, J.W. Richey, J.H. Swindell and E. Williams, wasreceived.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elder Samuel McKelvy and W.V.S. Allen. The association agreed to continue correspondence with Trinity River, but wrote her a friendly letter, informing her that this association is informed that Elder S. McKelvy is in disorder, and asked for the facts in the case. Elder J.W. Humphreys was the correspondent from New Hope Association.

The association had 18 churches and 325 members; contribution, $25.75.

1886 The association met this year with Sardis Church, Fannin county, September 4, 5 and 6. Elder J.H. Gotcher preached the introductory sermon. Elder P.G. Johnson was moderator, and William Worden, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Trinity River Association by Elder J.S. Collins and A.D. Bourland; from Harmony by Elder J.B. Taylor; New Hope by Elder William Lagow; Union, by letter and minutes.

"8. On motion, the Pilot Grove Association is not satisfied with the explanation given by Trinity River Association in regard to Elder S. McKelvy, and that satisfaction is further asked for, to the effect that Elder McKelvy go to Arbor Church, Tennessee, and there be restored to fellowship; and that Elder J.W. Caynar write to the same."

Letters of dismission were granted Little Vine, Emmaus and Red River Churches for the purpose of organizing a new association.

The association this year had 17 churches and 372 members; contribution, $28.40.

1887 The association met this year with Lone Star Church, Grayson County, September 3, 4 and 5. Elder P.G. Johnson preached the introductory sermon. Elder T.N. Cutler was moderator, and W.H. Ledbetter, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Sulphur Fork Association by Elder R.T. Webb and B.F. Culpepper; Union Association by Elder Ben Parker; Red River, Elders J.W. Cavnar and P.D. Ausmus; Brazos River, Elder P.M. Lancaster; Village Creek, Elders Wilson Hefner and Thomas Clark.

We find in the records of 1887 the death of Elder J.M.C. Robertson, which occurred at his residence near Kingston, Hunt County, May 6, 1887. Elder Robertson was a member of Pilot Grove Association for a number of years. In 1872, he was elected moderator, and with the exception of one year, served until 1882 when, on account of his age, he asked to be released.

The association had 13 churches and 290 members; contribution, $28.40.

1888 The association met this year with Caney Church, Fannin County, September 1, 2 and 3. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder T.N. Cutler, who was chosen moderator; W.H. Ledbetter was clerk.

Friendship Church, Hunt County by her messengers, L. Hamrick and J. Weir, was received.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders J.G. Webb and W.B. Sikes; Little Flock by Elder M.C.C. Maples.

The association had 15 churches and 290 members; contribution, $32.05.

1889 The association met this year with Walnut Springs Church, Cooke County, August 30, 31 and September 1 and 2. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder S.W. Webb. Elder T.N. Cutler was moderator, and W.H. Ledbetter, clerk.

East Fork Church, Collin County, by her messengers, Elder Joel Lewis and J.T. Watson, was received.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by Ben Parker.

The association had 13 churches and 291 members; contribution, $28.45.

1890 The association met this year with Lone Tree Church, Collin County, September 5, 6, 7 and 8. Elder J.H. Gotcher preached the introductory sermon and was chosen moderator; W.H. Huff was chosen clerk.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by W.B. Sikes and J.W. Cavnar; Sulphur Fork by B.F. Culpepper; New Hope, by Elder A. Mason.

The association had 13 churches and 304 members; contribution, $16.00.

1891 The association met this year with Little Flock Church, Collin County, September 5, 6, 7 and 8. Elder J.C. Sikes preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.H. Gotcher was moderator, and W.H. Huff, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Hope Association by Elder A. Mason; Sulphur Fork, by Elder R.T. Webb; Red River, by Elder J.G. Webb.

The association had 13 churches and 337 members; contribution, $36.50.

1892 The association met this year with Sabine Church, Hunt County, September 2, 3 and 4. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.H. Gotcher, who was chosen moderator; L.H. Taylor was chosen clerk.

Correspondence was received from Union Association by Elder B. Young. Correspondence was dropped with Union Association because it was in correspondence with Trinity River Association, which we hold to be in disorder. Correspondence received from Sulphur Fork by Elder R.T. Webb; Red River by Elders W.B. Sikes and J.G. Webb; New Hope by T.W. Simmons.

The association had 13 churches and 333 members; contribution, $28.25.

1893 The association met this year with Smyrna Church, Collin County, September 1, 2 and 3. Elder J.K. Gotcher preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.H. Gotcher was chosen moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Union Church, Grayson County, by her messengers, Elder L.M. Gordon, J.H. Lesley and W.W. Goolsby was received.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders J.G. Webb and W.B. Sikes; New Hope by letter.

The association had 14 churches and 357 members; contribution, $31.00.

1894 The association met this year with East Fork Church, Collin County, August 31, September 1 and 2. Elder T.N. Cutler preached the first sermon. J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Providence Church, Collin County, by her messengers John Matlock, Albert Webb and Z. Cormally, was received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders J.G. Webb and G.A. Paine; Bethel, Elder W.H. Harrell and N.M. Guynes.

The association had 14 churches and 344 members; contribution, $31.00.

1895 This year the association met with Union Church, Grayson County, August 30, 31 and September 1. Elder B.F. Casey preached the first sermon. Elder J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Bethel Association by W.H. Harrell; Red River, J.G. Webb.

Letters of dismission were granted Union, Walnut Springs and Lone Star Churches, for the purpose of forming the Timber Creek Association.

The association had 11 churches and 320 members; contribution, $31.60.

1896 The association met this year with Lone Tree Church, Collin County, September 4, 5 and 6. Elder J.H. Gotcher preached the first sermon. J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Shiloh Church, Rockwall County, by her messengers, Elder S.B. Kuykendall and T.J. Chandler, was received.

Correspondence was received from Bethel Association by N.M. Guynes and N. Ivey; Village Creek, Elders Thomas Clark and J.A. Paine; Red River, Elders W.B. Sikes, M.L. Barrett, and Brother W.T. George.

The association had 11 churches and 320 members; contribution, $27.75.

1897 The association met this year with Caney Church, Fannin County, September 3, 4 and 5. Elder B.F. Casey preached the first sermon. J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

When the trouble over some of the members joining the "Patrons of Husbandry" came up in the association, Orchard Gap Church for retaining in her fellowship members belonging to said institution, was dropped from the association.

Correspondence was received from Bethel Association by N.M. Guynes; Village Creek by letter; Red River by Elders J.G. Webb, W.B. Sikes and J.W. Cavnar.

Mt. Olive Church, Grayson County, was given a letter of dismission to join Timber Creek Association.

The association had 11 churches and 333 members; contribution, $26.05.

1898 The association met this year with Little Flock Church, Collin County, September 2, 3 and 4. Elder J.T. Huckaby preached the first sermon. J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Bethel Association by Elder J.R. Hardy and Brother N.M. Guynes; Village Creek, Elders J.A. Paine and J.H. Fisher; Red River, Elders J.W. Herriage and J.P. Baize; Old Harmony, Elder W.S. Harris; Sulphur Fork, A.J. Russell and William Grizzell.

The association had 10 churches and 318 members; contribution, $23.70.

1899 The association met this year with Orchard Gap Church, Collin County, September 1, 2 and 3. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder B.F. Casey. Elder J.K. Gotcher was chosen moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elder J.G. Webb, J.P. Whitaker and J.M. Barnett; Village Creek, Elder J.H. Fisher; Bethel, Elder J.R. Hardy and N.M. Guynes.

8. Motion and second that we withhold our correspondence from Sulphur Fork Association on account of difference on the doctrine of regeneration and predestination."

The association had 10 churches and 303 members; contribution, $23.00.

1900 The association met this year with Pilot Grove Church, Grayson County, August 31, September 1 and 2. Elder J.H. Gotcher preached the first sermon. J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Mt. Olive Church, that was lettered out a few years past, was received back into the association.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders J.G. Webb, M.L. Barrett and M.G. Johnson; Village Creek, Elder J.A. Paine; dropped correspondence with Bethel Association, until she rids herself of the doctrine of unlimited predestination of all things, including sin.

The association had 11 churches and 326 members; contribution, $26.75.

1901 The association met this year with Pleasant Hill Church, Collin County, August 30, 31 and September 1. Elder

J.K. Gotcher preached the first sermon and was made moderator; L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Lone Star Church by her messengers, W.H. Ledbetter and B.C. Parker, was received.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders B. Carter, J.W. Segler, J.G. Webb and Willie Barrett; Village Creek and Old Harmony, letter and minutes; Salem, Elder P.M. Lancaster.

The association had 12 churches and 362 members; contribution, $30.60.

1902 The association met this year with Pleasant Garden Church, Collin County, September 5, 6 and 7. Elder J.H. Gotcher preached the first sermon. Elder J.K. Gotchef was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Union Church, Kemp County, Indian Territory, by her messengers, William Grizzell and E.C. Armstrong was received.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders J.G. Webb and M.G. Johnson; Village Creek, letter and minutes; Salem, Elder P.M. Lancaster; Old Harmony, letter and minutes; correspondence returned to the above associations, also received and returned correspondence with Hill County and Chambers Creek Associations.

The association had 13 churches and 375 members; contribution, $29.00.

1903 This year the association met with Little Flock Church, Collin County, September 4, 5 and 6. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.T. Huckaby. Elder J.K. Gotcher was moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by J.E. Bowers, J.E. Stegall and Matt Dollar; Village Creek, by minutes; Salem, Elders P.M. Lancaster and H.C. Curington; Hill County, minutes; Chambers Creek, Elder A.F. Grafton.

The association had 13 churches, 329 members; contribution, $28.40.

1904 The association met this year with Lone Star Church, Grayson County, September 2, 3 and 4. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.G. Webb, who was also moderator, and L.H. Taylor, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elder M.G. Johnson and James Bunch; Village Creek, Elder Thomas Clark and H.L. Griggs; Salem, D.C. Vincent and T.V. Jones; Hill County, Elder R.A. Biggs; Old Harmony, by minutes; Chambers Creek, Elder J.A. Paine; Timber Creek, W.W. Goolsby and J.W. Phillips; Wise County, Elder H.L. Collings.

"On motion and second, the association laid Pilot Grove Church letter on the table until organized, as she had withdrawn her connection with the association, because the association had declared non-fellowship for the predestination of all things."

The association was composed of 11 churches with 332 members; contribution, $24.90.

1905 The association met this year with East Fork Church, Collin County, September 1, 2 and 3. Elder J.T. Huckaby preached the introductory sermon. Elder R.A. Biggs was moderator, and T.L. Webb, clerk.

Pilot Grove Church, which was dropped from the association at the last session over the predestination of all things, including sin, was reinstated.

Correspondence was received from Red River Association by Elders M.G. Johnson and C.H. Herriage; Village Creek, by letter and minutes; Old Harmony, by letter and minutes; Chambers Creek, by W.H. Pascal; Salem, by letter and minutes.

The association had 12 churches and 255 members; contribution, $21.00.

In 1906 the association had 13 churches, 350 members, 8ordained ministers; contribution, $20.25.


CANEY CHURCH

Caney church was organized Saturday before the third Sunday in March 1848 in Fannin County, two miles east of Savoy, by Elders James Savage and Gabriel Fitzhugh, with the following members: Joseph Fowler, Charley Lee Huggins, Mary Coonrod, Huldah Lee, Elizabeth Coonrod, Lucy Fowler and Lydia Hutchins.

Elder Hiram Savage was called to the pastoral care of the church at its constitution. In June 1853, Elder J.E. Deatherage was called to assist Elder Savage in the pastoral care of the church. In January 1854, Elder J.E. Deatherage joined the church by letter.

William Dulaney was ordained to the ministry on Friday before the second Sunday in August 1865 by Elders H. Savage, J.E. Deatherage, Bryan, W.H. Price and W.J. SoRelle.

Elder Jacob Sikes joined the church by letter in February 1874.

Elder S.M.N. Rogers was ordained to the ministry by the authority of this church. He was afterwards excluded from the church. T.N. Cutler was ordained to the ministry on the second Sunday in July 1880 by Elders M.E. Baldwin, J.W. Ray, S.M.N. Rogers, W.M. Wood and Deacons A.T. Burleson, N.A. Jones and H.G. Hurst.

In June 1883, Elder J.G. Webb joined the church by letter and in October following was given a letter of dismission.

In March 1884, Elder T.N. Cutler was dismissed by letter. G.W. Burns was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the second Sunday in October 1886 by Elders J.W. Ray and J.W. Cavnar.

A few years ago the church unanimously passed the following resolution:

"Whereas, the Pilot Grove Association at her last session requested the churches in her union to express in their letters this year their views on predestination. We submit the following: We believe in predestination as taught in the Bible: That God chose his people and predestinated their salvation. But we do not believe that God predestinated all the wicked acts of men, including sin, with all its train of evils. We further say that we believe it will cause strife and confusion among the saints of God when allowed preached among them."

Elders G.W. Burns, J.G. Webb, J.W. Herriage, J.H. Gotcher, J.T. Huckaby, W.B. Sikes, J.D. Hopkins and M.G. Johnson served the church from 1885 till June 1905, when Elder M.L. Barrett was chosen to the pastoral care of the church, in which capacity he still serves.

The Pilot Grove Association was constituted with this church in October 1849, of which body it is still a member.


PILOT GROVE CHURCH

Pilot Grove Church was organized on Saturday before the first Sunday in May 1847, at the residence of Hezekiah Worden, who lived on the headwaters of Pilot Grove Creek, in Grayson County, by Elders James Savage and Samuel Wheate, with the following members: Elder Hiram Savage, Daniel P. Moss, Mary Moss, Mary Savage, Hezekiah Worden, Sarah Worden, William Worden, Ellen Nix, E. Bledsaw, S. Scott, J. Scott and W.N. Savage.

Elder James Savage joined the church by letter just after its organization. Elder H. Savage was called to the care of the church.

At the time of its organization, the church was called the United Baptist Church. In 1855, the church, by motion and second, changed the name to Regular Predestinarian Baptist Church of Christ, without changing the doctrine or practice of the church.

In April 1857, Elder J.E. Deatherage was called to the care of the church and served until November 1871, when Elder W.S. Harris was called.

The church, just prior to 1872, was bothered more or less with the two-seed doctrine, consequently in August 1872, the following resolution was unanimously adopted by the church:

"Whereas there are men claiming to be Old School Baptist ministers, proclaiming doctrines we believe to be heretical and contrary to the faith once delivered to the saints, to wit: 1st. That Adam is not the seminal head of all the human family; that all men are not equally related to him. 2nd. They deny that God elected and predestinated to eternal life through the Lord Jesus Christ, a part of Adam's family; they say He saves all that were in Adam when he fell. 3rd. That there is no change made in the Adam man, soul, body or spirit, in regeneration; that nothing will go to heaven, but what came from heaven. Some of them deny the resurrection of the bodies of the just and the unjust. These things we regard as contrary to the doctrine which we have learned, such we are admonished to mark and avoid. Therefore be it resolved by Pilot Grove Church, of Regular Predestinarian Baptists, now in session this the 31st day of August 1872: Firstly, in the love and fear of God, we declare non-fellowship for all such heresies, that we will not bid any man Godspeed that preaches such things, that our pulpit is closed against such preachers. Secondly, that we are in favor of dropping correspondence with all religious bodies holding such sentiments in whole or in part. Done by order of the church in conference on Saturday before the first Sunday in September 1872 Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W. Worden, clerk."

In April 1874, Elder J.M.C. Robertson was called and served the church until February 1876, when Elder J.H. Gotcher was called. At the time Elder Gotcher was called, the church unanimously adopted the following resolution: "Whereas there is confusion, strife and contention among some of our sister churches caused by some of their members uniting with secret institutions of the world, and whereas, we consider that this is a fruitful source of trouble in the churches, and is as we believe a departure from the way of our faith. Be it resolved, by Pilot Grove Church in conference, that we will not hold in fellowship any member of this church who unites with or frequents any secret oath or pledge bound fraternal association of men, of whatever name or character."

In April 1877, Elder Jarrett Finey was called to the care of the church, and in 1880, the church excluded Elder Finey for preaching that the Adam sinned in regeneration was changed soul, body and spirit. Elder Finey died a few years past, excluded from the church. He was said to be a very able and learned man.

M.E. Baldwin was ordained to the ministry in September 1877 by Elders J.H. Gotcher, T.D. Morris, J.D. Loving, W.J. Caudle, S.M.N. Rogers, J.W. Ray, J.M. Hollis, Jarrett Finey, I.N. Lewis, W.H. Daniel, R.C. Kemper, J.M.C. Robertson and S.T. Worley.

Elder P.G. Johnson was called to the pastoral care of the church in November 1878 and served until 1889, when Elder J.B. Sikes was called. In October 1892, Elder J.K. Gotcher was called and served until November 1896, when Elder J.T. Huckaby was called and has served the church until the present time.

This church was in the constitution of Pilot Grove Association in 1849, and is still a member of that body although in a cold and much scattered condition.


ORCHARD GAP CHURCH

Orchard Gap church was constituted on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in December 1853, in Collin County, by Elders Hiram Savage, J.E. Deatherage, John Sneede and Mark Allen, with the following members: P.F. Lucas, G. Fitzhugh, T.B. Martin, Francis Fitzhugh, Elizabeth Fitzhugh, Amanda Fisher, Catherine Fitzhugh and W.S. Fisher.

Elder Mark Allen joined the church by letter as soon as it was organized.

Here is what this old church said on the subject of predestination. "Sixth, we believe that whom God foreknew, He also predestinated to be comformed to the image of His Son that He might be the first born among many brethren. Moreover, whom He did predestinate, them He also called and whom he called, them He also justified, and whom he justified them He also glorified."

Elder J.E. Deatherage was the first pastor of the church. Elder Mark Allen was dismissed by letter in June 1854.

S. Fisher was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the third Sunday in July 1854 by Elders John Sneede, S. Clark, E. Whatley, I. Chapman, H. Bennett, J. Lee, J.M. Moonaham, S.A. Fisher, S. Beeman, H. Hurley, Berry Fox, J. Dawson, H. Savage, R. Foster, W. Worden, W. Wright, J.E. Deatherage, and G. Downing. Some of the presbytery were deacons, but the record does not say who they were.

A. Scott was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the third Sunday in April 1869 by Elders J.M.C. Robertson, J.E. Deatherage and Deacons S. Lee, E. Chambers, B.F. Biggs and J. Simons.

At this meeting, Elder J.E. Deatherage was released as pastor of the church and Elder A. Scott was called to the care of the church. Robert A. Biggs joined the church by experience and baptism the third Sunday in May 1871. In May 1873, Elder W.H. Price was called to the church.

W.L. Goss was ordained to the ministry the third Sunday in July 1884 and was dismissed by letter in December 1885.

In October 1876, the majority of the church voted not to make joining the Patrons of Husbandry a test of fellowship, which caused the Pilot Grove Association to drop her from that union. The church finally corrected that mistake and is now a member of that body.


HONEY GROVE CHURCH

Honey Grove Church was constituted May 03, 1846 at Captain John Yeary's residence, in Fannin County, near the present town of Honey Grove, by Elder Jesse Butler and William Brackeen, with the following members: George Dennis, Elder Moses Jones, William Jones, Hessa Jones, Joel Hammers, Louisa Jane Yeary, Mary Yeary and William Gotcher.

This old church was constituted upon twelve articles of faith setting forth the sufficiency of the scriptures in doctrine and practice that man by his fall in Adam rendered himself helpless, that God chose His people in Christ before the world began, that Christ in the fullness of time came to make an atonement for and thus secure their eternal life for them. That God predestinated their salvation in Christ with all the means necessary thereto, that the gospel should be preached to all men and that all should be called upon to repent and believe the gospel. The church also believed in the resurrection of the dead, both of just and the unjust, and that it was the duty of the church to see after the minister that God had given her.

Elder Jesse Butler was chosen to the pastoral care of the church. The church met at the residence of Captain John Yeary's for worship.

The church sent a letter and messengers to the Sulphur Fork Association in October 1846.

Elias Pennington was the first to join the church by experience and baptism.

"The church agrees to have a call meeting down on Sulphur Fork, at the Wilson Schoolhouse, on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in October 1846." In May 1848, the church met at the residence of Martin Harvick.

In June 1848, George Downing and wife joined the church by letter. In August 1848, the church met for divine worship at the residence of Walter Yeary's. In October 1848, the church met at the residence of Elias G. Pennington for worship. In May 1849, the church met at a schoolhouse near the residence of E.G. Pennington and dissolved on the account of some of the members being murdered by the Indians and others moving away.


PECAN POINT CHURCH

Pecan Point Church was organized on the second Sunday in November 1850 at Pecan Point, about one mile north of Farmersville, Collin County, by Elder Henry Hurley with the following members: William Gotcher, Walter Yeary, Hugh Gotcher, Elder Moses Jones, Captain John Yeary, Mary Gotcher, Hessa Jones and Mary Yeary.

At the time the church was constituted it was called a United Baptist Church. The members in the constitution were from Honey Grove Church, that had been dissolved on account of Indian attacks.

Elder Henry Hurley was the first pastor of the old church. In February 1851, Elder Moses Jones, who was a member of the church, was called to the care of the church. In the same year, the church joined Pilot Grove Association, but in 1854 was dropped from the association for allowing her members to join the Masonic Fraternity. Afterwards, quite a number of the members renounced Masonry and joined Little Flock Church in Farmersville.

Pecan Point church has become extinct for many years.


LITTLE FLOCK CHURCH

Little Flock Church was organized August 30, 1855, near Farmersville, Collin County, by Elders W.S. SoRelle, Henry Hurley, Alfred Hefner and John Deaton, with the following members: Thomas Havens, William and Thomas Wisdom, Jacob Moore, Eliza A. Duncan, Arrena Moore and Tabitha Butler.

Elder W.J. SoRelle was chosen pastor at the constitution of the church.

In the same year the church was constituted, it joined Pilot Grove Association and is still a member of that body.

In December 1856, Elder Hurley was called to the care of the church. The next pastor was Elder J.A. Powell.

Elder W.H. Price joined the church by letter in April 1868.

In July 1867, Elder J.M.C. Robertson joined the church by letter and, in November following, was called to the care of the church.

W.S. Havens joined the church by letter in December 1867, and was ordained to the ministry June 25, 1870 by Elders W.H. Price, J.M.C. Robertson, W.H. Green, and A. Scott. In April 1871, he was called to the care of the church.

Brother John Gotcher was ordained to the ministry in October 1873, by Elders J.M.C. Robertson, W.S. Harris, W.H. Price and Deacons Jacob Moore, A. Birdsong, H.G. Hurst, A.J. Percell and A.H. Butler.

Elder J.M.C. Robertson was given a letter of dismission in February 1875.

In November 1875, Elder J.H. Gotcher was chosen pastor of the church.

In February 1877, Elder J.B. Parker joined the church by letter.

In March 1879, Elder William Jones was dismissed by letter.

In October 1891, the church declared non-fellowship for the predestination of all things.

Elder S.A. Paine is the present pastor.


WALNUT SPRING CHURCH

Walnut Spring Church was constituted on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in August 1872, in Grayson County, by Elder W.S. Fisher, with the following members: Samuel Willard, Jesse Eaton, W.M. Hopson, Sallie J. Butler, Margaret Morrow, M.M.O. Morrow and Elizabeth Johnson.

In 1873, the church moved into Cooke County.

In June 1877, W.H. Daniel was ordained to the ministry by Elders I.N. Lewis, Joseph Chaffin and S.T. Worley. Up to this time Elder W.S. Fisher had been pastor of the church. Elder W.H. Daniel was called and served till 1879, when Elder D.T. White was called.

This church joined Pilot Grove Association the year it was organized, but on account of some disorder in the church, it was dropped by the association. Finally the church corrected its disorder and got back in line with the association.

The church has been dissolved some eight or ten years.


LONE TREE CHURCH

Lone Tree Church was organized on Saturday before the second Sunday in February 1877, at Lee's Schoolhouse near Wylie, Collin County, by Elders J.H. Gotcher, J.B. Parker, T.A. Waldrip and William Jones, with the following members: N. Kemp, W. Rivers, A.P. Johnson, J.M. Johnson, Aaron Johnson and F.M. Hughes.

Elder J.H. Gotcher was chosen pastor and served until July 1883, when Elder J.W. Humphreys was chosen, and served the church until May 1888, when Elder J.H. Gotcher was again chosen, and served until March 1894, at which time Elder B.F. Casey was received into the church by letter and served as pastor until his death.

Elder J.A. Paine served the church for a short while after the death of Elder Casey. At present, the church has no pastor.


MOUNT OLIVE CHURCH

Mount Olive Church was organized on Saturday before the third Sunday in February 1878 at the residence of Sister Sarah Burleson, seven miles southeast of the city of Sherman, Grayson County, by Elders G. Finey, S.M.N. Rogers, J.W. Ray and Deacons H.G. Hurst, Henry Cameron and J.F. Simmons, with the following members: Elder M.E. Baldwin and wife, Rachel J. Baldwin, Jane Riley, Elder Nathan Butler and wife, A. Butler, Joseph Holcomb and wife, Elizabeth Butler, Nancy Gray, J.L. Hughes and wife, Sarah Hughes, Sarah Burleson, Phoeba Henson, Kandis Butler, Mary Holcomb, C.C. Spragains, R.N. Spragains and Martha Spragains.

Elders M.E. Baldwin and N. Butler were called jointly to the pastoral care of the church.

In May 1880, Elder M.E. Baldwin was excluded from the church.

In July 1880, Elder T.N. Cutler was called to the care of the church. In December 1881, Elder A.B. Anderson was called to the care of the church.

In November 1882, J.L. Hughes was ordained to the ministry by Elders J.W. Ray, A.B. Anderson, P.G. Johnson, J.G. Webb and Deacons H. Cameron and H.G. Hurst. Elder Hughes was then called to the care of the church. In 1887, Elder J.W. Caynar was called jointly with Elder Hughes. In June 1889, Elder W.B. Sikes was called and served till November 1891, when Elder J.W. Herriage was chosen to the pastoral care of the church.

I suppose that Elder J.L. Hughes was dismissed by letter from this church.

In November 1896, Elder J.T. Huckaby joined the church by letter, was called to the care of the church and is still serving in that capacity.

This church first joined the Pilot Grove Association, was dismissed from that body, and joined the Timber Creek Association, but is now a member of the Pilot Grove Association.


PLEASANT GARDEN CHURCH

Pleasant Garden Church was organized June 08, 1878 at Blue Ridge in Collin County, by Elders J.H. Gotcher, N. Butler and Deacons J.F. Simmons, Jacob Moore, A.J. Russell and Henry Cameron, with the following members: Elder P.G. Johnson and wife, Sarah Johnson, Minerva Applegate, William Worden, J.W. Richie, Elizabeth Lafner, Mary Walker and W.N. Butler.

Elders P.G. Johnson, J.H. Gotcher, S.W. Webb, Albert Webb and J.H. Gotcher have served the church as pastors. Elder J.H. Gotcher is, I think, the present pastor.


SMYRNA CHURCH

Smyrna Church was organized on Saturday before the third Sunday in November 1881 at the Chambers Schoolhouse in Collin County, by Elders P.G. Johnson and S.W. Webb with the following members: Elisha Chambers, M.H. Chambers, E.W. Chambers, M.M. Bass, Eliza Bass, W.C. Andrews and Mary A. Andrews.

Elder S.W. Webb joined the church after it was organized. In December, Elder Webb was called to the pastoral care of the church. In 1890, Elder Webb was dismissed by letter. After Elder Webb moved away, Elder John Gotcher served the church until 1901. Elder D.M. Sawyer served from 1901 until 1902.

This church is a member of Pilot Grove Association.


LONE STAR CHURCH

Lone Star Church was organized on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in May 1884, near Denison at Lone Star Schoolhouse, in Grayson County, by Elders J.L. Hughes, J.W. Ray and Deacon A.L. Burleson, with the following members: Elder T.N. Cutler and wife, A. Culter, W.A. Cox and wife, Maggie Cox, T.O. Burleson, S. Burleson, H.G. Hurst and wife, Phoebe Hurst.

Elder Cutler served the church till he died. In 1893, the church moved to Tioga. The church has never had any trouble over any of the late issues. She has no bars of any kind up yet. The church would not allow any of the extremes preached in her stand.

This is the home of Elders J.G. and T.L. Webb, R.A. Biggs, J.A. Mathis and W.F. Spencer. Elder J.G. Webb is the pastor of the church.

The church numbers 135 members and is a member of the Pilot Grove Association.


PROVIDENCE CHURCH

Providence Church was constituted on Saturday before the first Sunday in November 1885 at the Arnold Creek Schoolhouse in Collin County, by Elders J.M.C. Robertson, S.W. Webb and Deacon W.R. Johnson, with the following members: Elder J.G. Webb and wife, Zack Connally, Pink Armstrong, S.M. Dickens, Ritha Connally, Mary Parkhill, L. Harrison, V.D. Dickens and L. Huff.

Elders J.G. and S.W. Webb served the church until 1886, when Elder P.G. Johnson was called.

In December 1889, after laboring with S.M. Dickens for preaching that God predestinated all things including sin, he, refusing to quit advocating the doctrine, was excluded from the church. In December 1894, he came back to the church, asking the church to forgive him - him agreeing to lay down the doctrine of the predestination of all things. He was unanimously received.

J.A. Webb was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the first Sunday in March 1905.

The church has no regular preacher at present.


EAST FORK CHURCH

East Fork Church was constituted at Milligan Schoolhouse near McKinney, Collin County, on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in July 1888, by Elders Joel Lewis and B.R. Harris, with the following members: E.B. Bass, H.B. Bass, M.J. Bass, J.T. Watson, L.A. Russell and A.J. Lucas.

Elder Joel Lewis was chosen pastor and served the church about nine years. He died February 13, 1902. Elder J.H. Gotcher served the church until 1905, when the church called Elder R.A. Biggs.


UNION CHURCH

Union Church was constituted May 03, 1903, on Saturday before the first Sunday; Presbytery: Elders M.L. Barrett, M.G. Johnson, J.W. Segler; Elder M.L. Barrett, moderator, and M.G. Johnson, clerk.

Members that presented letters: William Grizzell and wife, Sarah Grizzell, Brother Burns and wife, Sallie Burns, E.D. Haden and wife, Vie Haden.

Elder J.W. Segler was called for pastor and E.D. Haden, clerk. Elder J.T. Huckaby was our last pastor. Our time of meeting is first Sunday and Saturday before. We do not have regular preaching now, as Brother Huckaby cannot visit us regular.

Last Updated ( Friday, 13 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.