header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Bosque River Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Bosque River Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

BOSQUE RIVER ASSOCIATION

1882. The churches composing the above association were, before going into the constitution of this association, members of the Concord Association and were regularly dismissed in 1881. "Granted letters of dismission to the following named churches, viz: Neal's Creek, Salem, Friendship, Hog Creek, Little Flock, Bosque, Bethany and Bluff Creek. This done and signed by order of the association on Saturday, the 27th day of August A.D. 1881". (Associational Book - page 100.)

The Bosque River Association was organized with Hog Creek Church in Coryell County, Texas on Friday before the first Sunday in July A.D. 1882. The original members or churches of this association were Salem, Bosque, Bethany, Neal's Creek, Hog Creek and Little Flock. Elder C.A. Russell was chosen moderator, and Elder E.M. Weeks, clerk pro-tem.

Elders W.C. Purcell, C.A. Russell, E.M. Weeks, E.M. Caudle, J.B. Downing and Brother J.H. Burnett were appointed to draft a constitution. The Articles of Faith and Rules of Decorum of the 01d Providence Association were adopted. The churches above named then resolved themselves into an association by electing Elder W.C. Purcell, moderator, and Elder E.M. Weeks, clerk.

Correspondence was then opened up with Village Creek Association with Elders E.M. Caudle, C.A. Russell, and Brother J.H. Burnett as messengers. Elders W.C. Purcell and C.A. Russell were messengers to the Providence Association; Pilgrim's Rest Association, Elder E.M. Weeks and Brother J.A. Harris.

The Bosque River Association was constituted with 6 churches and 176 members; contribution, $18.50.

1883 The association this year met with Neal's Creek Churchon the 7th day of September and continued four days. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder E.M. Caudle. Elder C.A. Russell was chosen moderator, and Brother John Simmons, clerk.

Friendship Church, previously dismissed from Concord Association was received into the association by her messengers.

Correspondence was received from the Brazos River Association by her messengers, Elder Willis Russell; Village Creek by her messengers, Elders G.I. Thomas, W. Hefner and W.L. Rogers.

The association this year had 7 churches and 187 members; contribution, $21.95.

1884 The association this year convened with Little Flock Church in Coryell County commencing September 12, and continuing four days. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder W.C. Purcell. Elder E.M. Weeks was elected moderator, and J.W. Simmons, clerk.

Elder G.I. Thomas and Brethren J.G. Roberts and M.W. Armstrong were messengers from Village Creek Association.

The association had 7 churches and 245 members, while the membership of Neal's Creek, Little Flock and Bethany Churches are not given in the minutes for this year; contribution, $13.45.

1885 The association this year met with Bosque Church in Erath County, September 11, and continued three days. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.B. Downing. Elder E.M. Weeks was elected moderator, and J.W. Bradford, clerk.

Little Hope Church, of Erath County, by her messengers, T.S. Lee and W.R. Walvarton, was received into the association.

Elder D.W. Russell, Brother A. Swanher and C.O. Anison were the messengers from Brazos River Association. Elder W.L. Rogers and Brother W.H. Driskill were the messengers from Village Creek Association.

At this session of the association, a letter of admonition was written to the Village Creek Association, praying them to investigate the case of Elder G.I. Thomas, and render satisfaction at the next annual session, "Otherwise we will correspond with them no more".

"On motion and second this association agrees to adopt the protest against Dr. S.M. Carlton's heresies, as set forth in the minutes of the Harmony Primitive Baptist Association."

THE PROTEST

"Whereas, there is in circulation a book known as "A Diagram of the Churches" written by Dr. S.M. Carlton of Henderson, Rusk County, Texas, which is claimed by the author as a faithful exposition of Primitive Baptist doctrine, and as such has the endorsement of three preachers claiming to be Primitive Baptists, in which is written the following sentiments, to-wit: Page 10, in speaking of the heirs of perdition. They come from the infernal regions, and they will return to Satan, the author of their spiritual existence; and in like manner, the heirs of promise will return to Christ in Heaven, from whence they came. Who is the author of their spiritual existence? - Page 11. Again in speaking of the heirs of perdition he says: "Their spiritual existence hailed from the underworld, and must by right return from whence they came. - Page 14. "And so for as choice is concerned God chose the heirs of promise, because they are His, and does not choose them to make them His." -page 15. That the people of Anti-Christ was raised in the fallof Adam from their degradation in Hell (in a spiritual sense) to a level with the heirs of promise (in a natural sense) who were in Christ spiritually before the world was, and both families shook hands, as it were in the person of Adam and Eve naturally and morally." - page 15 and 16. "Of course the humanity of Christ was present with God, and was the temple of the Spirit of God forming the unity of the Father, Son and Spirit. So we conclude that the humanity of Christ was ever present with God." - page 16 continued. "So that when Adam transgressed the command of God, this spiritual family of heaven fell down to a level with the family of Anti-Christ, and the family of Anti-Christ was promoted from the depths of hell to a moral status with the people of God." - same page. "The ransomed of the Lord were all that were in Adam (in a spiritual sense) at the time of the transgression; so Christ died for all that fell in Adam." These are verbatim extracts from said book, and as said before, is claimed by the author, and those who endorse his book as Primitive Baptist doctrine. Therefore we the Primitive Baptist of the Harmony Association, being assembled in our sixth annual session, do hereby enter our solemn protest, against said sentiments as being Primitive Baptist doctrine, and publicly declare non-fellowship for the same, being it unsuitable by the scriptures and in conflict with the third article of our declaration of faith, and do hereby resolve that this protest be published in our minutes for the consideration of the Primitive Baptists generally, and those of our churches particularly, and request our churches of the Harmony Association to express in their letters at our next association, whether or not they acquiesce in this declaration of non-fellowship for said doctrine."

Elders M.C.C. Maples, J.W. Norton, Thomas Clark, A.V. Atkins, T.S. Dalton, W.L. Rogers and J.A. Norton preached during the sitting of the association.

The association this year had 6 churches and 233 members; contribution, $11.00

1886 The association this year convened with Salem Church in Coryell County, September 10, 11 and 12. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder E.M. Caudle. E.M. Weeks was moderator, and J.W. Bradford, clerk.

Elder P.M. Lancaster was a messenger from the Brazos River Association. Brother J.S.G. Roberts was the messenger from the Village Creek Association.

The association this year had 6 churches and 177 members. The statistics of Bethany Church is not given in the minutes of this year; contribution, $12.75.

1887 The association this year met with Hog Creek Church in Coryell County, September 9, 10 and 11. Elder C.A. Russell preached the introductory sermon. Elder E.M. Weeks was moderator, and J.M.V. Bulloch, clerk.

Minutes were received from the Brazos River Association.

The association for this year had 6 churches and 168 members; contribution, $13.00.

1888 The association this year convened with Bethany Church in Erath County, September 8, and continued four days. Elder E.M. Caudle preached the introductory sermon. Elder E.M. Weeks was moderator, and C.H. Rose, clerk.

Elders D.W. Russell and P.M. Lancaster were messengers from the Brazos River Association, and Elders W.L. Rogers, W. Hefner and J.B. Vann from the Village Creek Association. Correspondence this year was offered Harmony Association.

The association this year had 6 churches and 129 members; contribution, $10.35.

1889 The association this year met with Bosque Church in Erath County, September 5 and continuing four days. Elder

G.A.Russell preached the introductory sermon. Elder E.M. Weeks was moderator, and J.C. Gilbreath, clerk.

Pleasant Hill Church of McLennan County, by her messengers, G.W. Dalton, T.M. Nolan and Elder J A. Norton was received.

Elders P.M. Lancaster, D.W. Russell, and D. Vaughn were messengers from the Brazos River Association. Elders W.L. Rogers, W. Hefner and Brethren P.M. Smith, W.J. Ray and J.W. Smith from Village Creek Association; Elders W.S. Harris, W.G. Green, R.A. Biggs and J.P. May were messengers from the Harmony Association.

The association this year had 7 churches and 160 members; contribution, $13.00.

1890 The association this year met with Little Flock Church in Coryell County, July 25 and continuing four days. Elder J.A. Norton preached the introductory sermon. Elder C.A. Russell was moderator, J.W. Bradford, clerk.

Shiloh Church by her messengers, viz: Abel Amos and Rice Adams was received into the association.

Elder P.M. Lancaster was the messenger from the Brazos River Association; and Elder M.W. Dumas, Jasper and Alvin Chambers were the messengers from the Harmony Association.

The association this year had 8 churches and 147 members; contribution, $14.00.

1891 The association this year convened with Salem Church, Bosque County, July 24, and continuing four days. Elder C.A. Russell preached the introductory sermon, who was also elected moderator, and J.W. Bradford, clerk.

Salem Church of Coryell County was received names of messengers not given.

"Called for corresponding letter, received none, but Elders P.M. Lancaster, D.W. Russell and J.S. Woods of Brazos River Association; Brother J.P. May of Harmony; and Elders J.A. Paine, J.B. Vann, and Brother Ben Clark of Village Creek Association were present and, on motion and second, were invited to seats with us."

The association this year had 8 churches and 168 members; contribution, $12.25.

1892 The association this year met with Bosque Church, July 23 and continuing three days. Elder W.C. Purcell preached the introductory sermon. Elder C.A. Russell was moderator, and J.D. Morgan, clerk.

Elder P.M. Lancaster was the messenger from the Brazos River Association, Elder W.S. Harris and R.A. Biggs from Old Harmony; from Village Creek, Elder J.B. Vann, J.O. Soapes and P.H. Smith.

Salem No. 1. is in Bosque County, while Salem No 2. is in Coryell County.

Harmony Association mentioned first as corresponding association to the Bosque River, is now O1d Harmony Association.

The association this year had 9 churches and 214 members; contribution, $13.75.

1893 The association this year convened with Salem Church No 2, in Coryell County, July 22 and continued three days. Elder E.M. Weeks preached the introductory sermon. Elder C.A. Russell was moderator, and J.D. Morgan, clerk.

Elder W.S. Harris and W.B. Hedgepeth were correspondents from 01d Harmony Association; Brazos River, by minutes.

Visiting ministers present were: "Elders A.V. Atkins, T.R. Allen, M.C.C. Maples from Little Flock Association; W.H. Harrell of Dallas; Sam Bryant from Primitive Baptist Association; and D. Bartley from Indiana."

Bethany Church of Erath County, was dismissed from the association by letter.

The association this year had 8 churches and 259 members; contribution, $14.95.

1894 The association this year met with Salem Church No. 1, in Coryell County, Texas, July 20 and continued three days. Elder J.M. Stewart preached the introductory sermon, who was also elected moderator, and J.D. Morgan, clerk.

Correspondence, Old Harmony Association, Elder A.P. Koen and W.B. Hedgepeth; New Harmony, Elder W.G. Green; Unity, Elder D.W. Russell. Correspondence was returned.

Elder J.K. Stephens of Tennessee, and Elder E.T. Huckaby of North Texas were at this association and preached on Sunday.

The association had 7 churches and 204 members; contribution, $12.50.

1895 The association this year convened with Hog Creek Church in Coryell County, July 26 and continuing three days. Elder W.C. Purcell preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.M. Stewart was chosen moderator, and H.T. Hall, clerk.

Correspondents from sister associations: Old Harmony, Elders F.D.L. Koen, A.B. Chambers, Brethren R.P. Littlepage and N.A. Fewel; New Harmony by minutes.

4th Invited visiting brethren to seats with us, when Elders T.S. Dalton of Stanleyton, Va., Ebenezer Association and J.H. Fisher of Collinsville, Texas, Pilot Grove Association, finding us of like precious faith with them, accept seats with us."

The association this year had 5 churches and 224 members; contribution, $11.50.

1896 The association this year met with Bosque Church, July 24, and continuing three days. Elder J.W. Norton

Preached the introductory sermon, who was also chosen moderator, and H.T. Hall, clerk.

Elders F.D.L. Koen and R.A. Biggs were correspondents from Old Harmony Association, Elder R.H. Parish, Licentiate,

J.M.Creel and Brother J.H. Wood were received as messengers from the Village Creek Association.

"Bosque Church asked for a letter of recommendation from this association to join Harmony, which was granted."

The association this year had only 3 churches and 177 members; contribution, $12.00.

1897 The association this year met with Salem Church No. 2, July 23, and two days following. Elder J.W. Norton preached the introductory sermon and was also elected moderator, and J.D. Morgan, clerk.

"There being some dissatisfaction with Salem Church No 1, a move and second was carried to drop said church from our body."

Nelson Church by her messengers, Elder J.M. Stewart, M.0. Mason and T.A. Wells, was received; also Neal's Creek by the hands of her messengers, viz: H.L. Johnson, W.H. Harris and B.F. Patterson was received.

Elder M.C.C. Maples was a correspondent from Little Flock Association; Old Harmony, W.B. Hedgepeth, Elders F.D.L. Koen, A.P. Koen and J.G. and C.H. Chambers; New Harmony, by letter; Village Creek, by letter; Unity, by letter.

"4th Invited visiting brethren to seats with us, whereupon the following brethren took seats: Little Flock Association, Elders T.R. Allen and S.C. Kyle; Red River Association, Elder W.B. Sikes; from southern Texas Elder J.S. Newman."

Correspondence was returned by the association through a circular letter to Old and New Harmony Associations, also Village Creek, Unity, and Little Flock Associations.

The association this year had 6 churches and 174 members; contribution, $13.50.

1898 The association this year convened with Hebron Church, McLennan County, July 22, and continuing three days.

ElderJ.B. Downing preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.W. Norton was chosen moderator, and J.D. Morgan, clerk.

Elder M.C.C. Maples was a messenger from Little Flock Association; Old Harmony, Elder F.D.L. Koen; New Harmony, by letter; also Salem Association by letter. The Salem Association is the same association known as the Brazos River Association. The only change in the association was the name. Correspondence was returned by circular letter to the corresponding associations.

The association this year had 6 churches and 193 members; contribution, $14.45.

1899 The association this year convened with Little Flock Church on "Owl Creek", Coryell County, July 21 and continuing three days. Elder C.T. Nance preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.W. Norton was moderator, and J.D. Morgan, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Hill County Association by her messengers, Elder J.M. Creel and A.D. Oliphant; Little Flock Association, Elder A.V. Atkins; Old Harmony, Elder Alvin Chambers; New Harmony, letter; Elder M.G. Johnson from Timber Creek Association of North Texas, was seated in the association. Correspondence was again returned by circular letter to all the corresponding associations.

The association this year had 6 churches and 182 members; contribution, $12.30.

1900 The association this year met with Hog Creek Church in Coryell County, July 20 and continuing three days. Elder P.M. Lancaster preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.W. Norton was chosen moderator, and W.J.D. Bradford, clerk.

Elder L.H. Stuckey was the correspondent from Little Flock Association; from Village Creek, Elder S.A. Paine; Hill County, Brother F.M. May; Old Harmony, Elders F.D.L. Koen, J.C. Chambers and R.P. Littlepage; Salem, Elder P.M. Lancaster.

The association at this session had 6 churches and 162 members; contribution, $12.10.

1901 The association this year met with Salem Church, Coryell County, July 26, and continued three days. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.W. Norton, who was also chosen moderator, and W.J.D. Bradford, clerk.

Elders M.C.C. Maples and A.V. Atkins were messengers from Little Flock Association; Hill County Association, J.H. Childers and F.M. May; Old Harmony, Elders F.D.L. Koen, A.P. Koen and A.B. Chambers; New Harmony, Elder W.W. Fowler and Brother Ezekiel Huckaby. Shiloh Church was dissolved during this association year; and Hog Creek Church was not represented. The association, again, continued correspondence with her corresponding associations by medium of a circular letter.

The association this year had only 4 churches and 132 members; contribution, $9.05.

1902 On the account of the shortness of crops, the association did not meet in 1902 and 1903.

1904 This year the association met with Salem Church at Oglesby, August 26, 27 and 28. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.B. Downing; Elder J.W. Norton, moderator, and W.A. McWilliams, clerk.

The association this year was in correspondence with Hill County, West Providence and Old Harmony Associations.

This year the association had 5 churches and 97 members; contribution, $9.15.

1905 This year the association met with Hebron Church at McGreger, July 21, 22 and 23. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.B. Downing; Brother M.D. Highsmith, moderator; W.A. McWilliams, clerk.

This year the association corresponded with Old Harmony, LittleFlock, Village Creek and Hill County Associations.

This year the association had 4 churches and 89 members; contribution, $9.85.

In 1906 the association had 5 churches and 109 members and 3 ordained ministers; contribution, $12.25.


SALEM CHURCH

Salem Church was constituted July 31, 1869, in Coryell County, eight or ten miles southeast of Oglesby, with the following members: Henry Hall, Jane Hall, Arcoda Hall, P.N. Helm and Sarah S. Smith.

Elder G.W. McDonald was called to the pastoral care of the church. The church joined Old Harmony Association in the fall of 1869.

In March 1874, Elder William Thomas was called to the pastoral care of the church.

In April 1875, Elder Nathan Yarborough was received by letter and in August, same year he was dismissed by letter.

Elder J.W. Norton Joined this church by letter in May 1877, and in December same year was called to the pastoral care of the church.

It was with this church that the Concord Association while in a divided state, met October 1880 and peaceably settled the disturbance. At the same meeting, the Primitive Baptist Association was organized out of churches previously belonging to Concord Association.

In the recent local disturbance among our people over the extent of predestination of all things, including sin, this church had quite a lot of trouble over the doctrine, having a preacher in it that held to the predestination of all things. Finally in April 1904, the church declared non-fellowship for the doctrine. The preacher, who believed the doctrine, withdrew from the church, then the church preferred charges against the preacher, and those following him, and were at once dismissed from the church.

The church is in a prosperous condition at present with Elder J.W. Norton as pastor.


LITTLE FLOCK CHURCH

Little Flock Church was constituted on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in May 1874, at Owl Creek Schoolhouse in Coryell County, by Elders A. Toliver, W.C. Purcell and Deacon H. Bass, with the following members: John Stovall, M.E. Stovall, J.R. Brunn, W.B. Jones, M.A. Jones, Phoebe Clawson, J.B. Downing, Jincy Downing, William Swanner and S.E. Swanner.

Elder W.C. Purcell served the church till November, 1874, at which time Elder A. Toliver was called and served till September 1875, when Elder J.S. Meeks was chosen but only served a short while when Elder Purcell was again called to the pastoral care of the church.

J.B. Downing was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the 4th Sunday in June 1881, by Elders E.M. Weeks, W.C. Purcell and Deacons W.B. Jones and Brother Hurst.

Elders J.B. Downing and J.A. Norton served the church jointly for a while when Elder W.Z. Norman served with Elder Downing. In December 1877, Elder Downing was dismissed by letter. Elder A.B. Chambers then served the church for a few years.

Elder W.J.D. Bradford is the present pastor of the church.


HOG CREEK CHURCH

Hog Creek Church was constituted May 15, 1875, in Coryell county, near Turnersville, by Elders E.M. Weeks and J.D. Henson with the following members: Elder E.M. Weeks and wife, and J.M.V. Bullock and wife. Elder Weeks was called to the pastoral care of the church the day it was constituted and still serves in that capacity.

Elder Marion Weeks was born August 5, 1825, in Copia County, Mississippi. He was the son of James Weeks. He came to Texas in 1837 and first settled in San Jacinto County. He joined Blue Spring Church in Nacogdoches County in 1866, and was baptized by Elder W.S. Denman. He drew a letter from this church and was in the constitution of Little Band Church in San Augustine County. He was ordained to the ministry in Little Band Church in 1873 by Elder J.R. Burns and Deacon R. Sewell. He drew a letter from Little Band Church and was in the constitution of a church called Pilgrim Rest. This moved to Lewisville in Limestone County. From this place Elder Weeks moved to Coryell County, where he still lives.

 HEBRON CHURCH

Hebron Church was organized June 6, 1896, near South Bosque, McLennan County, by Elders A.V. Atkins, J.W. Norton, and Deacons W.A. Halbrook and M.T. Hughes, with the following members: W.A. and E.F. McWilliams, A. and Luticie Wells, E.M. Farmer, M.O. and M.D. Mason, T.H. and Emma Stewart, Henry A. Morehead, Thomas Rash and Chastina Wrinkley. Ail the members, except the last two, were from Salem Church at Oglesby.

Elder J.M. Stewart was chosen pastor of this church but met with them only a few times on account of feeble health. Elders J.W. Norton, C.T. Nance and A.V. Atkins have served this church.

Last Updated ( Friday, 13 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.