header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Old Harmony Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Old Harmony Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

OLD HARMONY ASSOCIATION

This association was organized July 11, 1879, with Sardis Church then in Coryell County, but now in Hamilton County. The association was organized by appointing Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and Elder M.H. Hutchison, clerk; whereupon, the moderator announced that the convention was organized and ready for business. The clerk then proceeded to read the letters from the respective churches represented by delegates in the convention as follows: from Sardis Church, Coryell County, S. Murphree, Elder W.S. Harris and W.M. West; from Shiloh Church, Comanche County, Elders W.C. Burks, M.H. Hutchison and Thomas Harris; from Hopewell Church, Erath County, Elder L.W. Harvey, M.L. Dowdy and F. Loden; from Antioch Church, San Saba County, Radford Burke, Peter Lee and R.N. Jeffrey ; from Bethlehem Church, Coryell County, G.W. Pouncy, M.W. Dumas and John S. Caddell; from Damascus Church, Erath County, R.A. Biggs, J.B. Taylor and P.W. Warren.

The association was organized with 4 ordained ministers and 5 licentiates, 6 churches aggregating a membership of 95; contribution, $18.50.

The following resolution was unanimously adopted by this session of the convention:

"Resolved: That this association would advise the churches composing the same to receive no member from any church who is not sound in doctrine and practice and who has not been baptized by a regularly ordained minister of the gospel, who was at the time of such baptism sound in doctrine and practice and in good standing.

"Resolved: That we believe both arms of the Concord Association to be in disorder in their divided state and standing.''

1880 The association met this year with Shiloh Church, Comanche County, July 9, 10 and 11. Elder W.C. Burks preached the first discourse; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and M.H. Hutchison, clerk.

Smyrna Church of Brown County was received by the association.

William Kemp was received as a correspondent from Pilot Grove Association.

The association had 7 churches and 141 members; contribution, 21.95.

1881 This year the association met with Bethlehem Church, Coryell County, July 8, 9 and 10. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder M.H. Hutchison; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, M.H. Hutchison, clerk.

Concord Church of Comanche County was received at this sitting of the association.

The association had 8 churches and 157 members; contribution, 22.75.

1882 The association convened this year with Hopewell Church, Erath County, September 29 and 30. Elder W.S. Harris preached the first sermon. Elder W.C. Burks was moderator, and T.J. Burks, clerk.

Liberty Church of Lampasas County and Friendship Church of Brown County were received into the union.

Correspondence was received from Pilot Grove and Regular Primitive Baptist Associations.

The association had 9 churches and 203 members; contribution, $23.25.

1883 The association met this year with Sardis Church, now in Hamilton County, October 5, 6 and 7. Elder L.W. Harvey preached the first sermon; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and Elder M.H. Hutchison, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Primitive (heretofore called Regular Primitive) Association.

The association had 9 churches and 219 members; contribution, $26.40.

1884 This year the association met with Concord Church, Comanche County, October 3, 4 and 5. The first discourse was delivered by Elder J.B. Taylor; moderator and clerk same as last year.

Ephesus Church of Comanche County was received into the association compact.

Correspondence was received from Pilot Grove and Primitive Association.

"On motion and second, this association agrees to enter this our solemn protest, against the doctrine herein set forth, to-wit.

"Whereas, there is in circulation a book known as "A Diagram of the Churches" written by Dr. S.M. Carlton, of Henderson, Rusk County, Texas, which is claimed by the author as a faithful exposition of Primitive Baptist doctrine, and as such has the endorsement of three preachers claiming to be Primitive Baptists, in which is written the following sentiments, to-wit: Page 10 - In speaking of the heirs of perdition - "They came from the infernal regions and they return to Satan the author of their spiritual existence; and in like manner the heirs of promise will return to Christ, in heaven, from where they came, who is the author of their spiritual existence." Page 11 - Again, in regard to the heirs of perdition he says: "Their spiritual existence hailed from the underworld and must by right return from whence they came." Page 14 - "And so for as choice is concerned, God chooses the heirs of promise because they are His, and does not choose them to make them His." Page 15 - "That the people of anti-Christ were raised in the fall of Adam, from their degradation in hell (in a spiritual sense) to a level with the heirs of promise (in a natural sense) who were in Christ, spiritually, before the world was. And both families shook hands, as it were in the persons of Adam and Eve, naturally and morally." Page 15 and 16 - "Of course the humanity of Jesus Christ was present with God, and was the temple of the Spirit of God, forming the unity of the Father, Son and Spirit. So we conclude that the humanity of Christ was ever present with God." Page 16, continued - "So that when Adam transgressed the command of God, this spiritual family of heaven fell down to a level with the family of anti-Christ, and the family of anti-Christ was promoted from the depths of hell to a moral status with the people of God." Same page - "The ransomed of the Lord were all that were in Adam (in a spiritual sense) at the time of his transgression; so Christ died for all that fell in Adam."

These are verbatim extracts from said book and, as said before, is claimed by the author, and those who endorse his book, as Primitive Baptist doctrine. Therefore we, the Primitive Baptists of the Harmony Association, being assembled in our sixth annual session, do hereby enter our solemn protest against said sentiments as being Primitive Baptist doctrine, and publicly declare a non-fellowship for the same, believing it unsustainable by the Scriptures, and in conflict with the 3rd article of our Declaration of Faith, and do hereby resolve that this protest be published in our minutes for the consideration of the Primitive Baptists generally, and those of our churches particularly, and request our churches of the Harmony Association to express, in their letters at our next association, whether or not they acquiesce in this declaration of non-fellowship for said doctrine.

The association had 9 churches and 200 members; contribution, $25.50.

1885 The association this year met with Damascus Church, Erath County, July 10, 11 and 12. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder R.A. Biggs; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, M.H. Hutchison clerk.

New Hope and Lebanon Churches of Hamilton County were received into the association.

This year the association had 10 churches and 233 members; contribution, $25.50.

1886 The association convened this year with New Hope Church, July 9, 10 and 11. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.V. Atkins; moderator and clerk same as last year.

Liberty Church of Lampasas County, that was once a member of this association but, on account of a misunderstanding, had been dropped by the association, was again received; also Primitive Church, then of Hamilton County, but now of Mills County, was received.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock and Pilot Grove Associations.

The association had 12 churches and 312 members; contribution, $32.50.

1887 This year the association met with Lebanon Church at Pottsville, July 8, 9 and 10. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder Nathan Barrow; Elder R.A. Biggs, moderator, and W.H. Chaney, clerk.

Pilgrim Rest Church of Lampasas County was received by the association.

"2. Called for correspondence and received from Little Flock Association, Elder M.C.C. Maples and M.D. Denman, Licentiate, as corresponding messengers; agreed to continue correspondence with said association and appointed Elder M.H. Hutchison to write the corresponding letter. It was agreed to continue correspondence with the Primitive Baptist Association, and appointed Brother W.G. Green to write the corresponding letter. Agreed to continue correspondence with Pilot Grove Association. Appointed Elder Nathan Barrow to write the corresponding letter. Agreed to add the following supplements to the Pilot Grove Association letter: "Dear Brethren: We hereby notify you that if you are in correspondence with Union Association it brings us into an indirect correspondence with her, who discards us as Primitive Baptists, and therefore we cannot consistently continue correspondence with you for that cause.

"3. Agreed to take up the request of our sister churches as to the propriety of continuing the association. Agreed to refer the request to the different churches for their consideration."

The Association had 13 churches and 301 members; contribution, $25.25.

1888 This year the association met with Shiloh Church in Camanche County, July 6, 7 and 8. The first sermon was preached by Elder W.S. Harris; Elder R.A. Biggs, moderator, Elder W.G. Green clerk.

Horde's Creek Church of Coleman County was received by the association.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock Association, but for the present was suspended with the Pilot Grove Association.

"6. Took up the reference in regard to the request made of the churches as to whether or not they favor the perpetuation of our association, and there being a majority of the churches answering in the affirmative, therefore agree to perpetuate our association in its present form."

The association this year had 15 churches and 377 members; contribution, $26.75.

1889 The association convened this year with Hopewell Church, July 12, 13 and 14. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder A.P. Koen; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Providence Church, Erath County, Antioch Church, Comanche County, and Friendship Church, Coryell County were received by the association.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock, Bosque River and Primitive Associations.

The association this year had 18 churches and 399 members; contribution, $30.50.

1890 The association met this year with Bethlehem Church, Coryell County, July 11, 12 and 13. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder M.H. Hutchison; Elder R.W. Harrell, moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Bosque River, Little Flock and Primitive Associations.

"5. On motion, the propriety of dividing this association for the purpose of constituting two associations is submitted to the churches for their consideration and report ot the next session of this association."

The association this year had 19 churches and 483 members; contribution, $30.50.

1891 The association convened this year with Horde's Creek Church, Coleman County, July 10, 11 and 12. The first sermon was preached by Elder R.W. Harrell, who was moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Sarepta Church, Mills County, was received by the association.

Correspondence was received from the Little Flock Association.

"We, your committee, beg leave to make the following report: That we draw an imaginary line from Dublin, Erath County, to Goldthwaite, Mills County, and that the following named churches from the eastern division, to be known as Old Harmony, viz: Damascus, Providence, New Hope, Hopewell, Sardis, Lebanon, Primitive, Pilgrim Rest, Friendship No.2, Bethlehem and Liberty; and the following named churches from the western division to be known as New Harmony, viz: Ephesus, Concord, Willow Springs, Antioch, Shiloh, Serepta, Smyrna, Friendship No. 1, and Horde's Creek. On motion, the report was received and adopted and the committee discharged.

The association had 20 churches and 555 members; contribution, $37.15.

1892 This year the association met with Sardis Church, July 8, 9 and 10. Elder R.A. Biggs preached the first sermon; Elder R.W. Harrell, moderator, and W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Union Church was received into the association.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock and Friendship Associations.

The association had 11 churches and 286 members; contribution, $21.25.

1893 The association this year met with Providence Church, Erath County, July 7, 8 and 9. Elder W.S. Harris preached the first sermon, who was moderator, and W.B. Hedg-peth, clerk.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 12 churches, 327 members; contribution, $31.20.

1894 The Association met this year with New Hope Church, July 6, 7 and 8. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.P. Koen; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Antioch and Bethany Churches were received into the association.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony, Friendship,

Little Flock, Bosque River and Unity Associations.

The association had 14 churches (Friendship and Liberty were not represented), 373 members; contribution, $20.50.

1895 This year the association convened with Lebanon Church, July 12, 13 and 14. Elder R.A. Biggs preached the first sermon; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W.B. Hedg-peth, clerk.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony, Bosque River and Little Flock Associations.

The association had 14 churches and 424 members; contribution, $24.75.

1896 This year the association convened with Primitive Church, Mills County, July 10, 11 and 12. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.P. Koen; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Bethel Church was received by the association-Correspondence was received from New Harmony, Friendship,Unity and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 15 churches and 465 members; contribution, $23.00.

1897 This year the association met with Hopewell Church, July 9, 10 and 11. The first sermon was preached by Elder W.S. Harris, who was moderator, and J.E. Curlee, clerk.

Bosque Church, Erath County, was received at this session of the association.

Correspondence was received from Bosque River, New Harmony and Unity Associations.

The association had 16 churches and 584 members; contribution, $26.50.

1898 The association convened with Pilgrim Rest Church, July 8, 9 and 10. Elder R.A. Biggs preached the introductory sermon; Elder W.S.Harris, moderator, and W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Ebenezer Church, Erath County, was received by the association.

Correspondence was received from Bosque River, New Harmony and Pilot Grove Associations.

The association had 16 churches and 556 members; contribution, $22.75.

1899 This year the association met with Sardis Church, July 7, 8 and 9. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.B. Chambers; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Clear Creek Church and Salem Church of Coryell County were received.

Correspondence from New Harmony, Bosque River, Friendship and Unity Associations were received.

This year the association had 18 churches and 665 members; contribution, $27.75.

1900 This year the association met with Clear Creek Church, Coryell County, July 6, 7 and 8. The first sermon was delivered by Elder W.Y. Norman, with same moderator and clerk.

Mt. Olive Church, Mills County, was received.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony, Bosque River, Pilot Grove, Friendship and Unity Associations.

The association had 18 churches and 548 members; contribution, $15.50.

1901 This year the association was held with Sardis Church, July 12, 13 and 14. Elder A.P. Koen preached the first sermon; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, and W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Correspondence received from New Harmony, Bosque River, Pilot Grove, Friendship and Little Flock Associations.

The association had 16 churches and 500 members; contribution $21.00.

1902 This session of the association met with Union Church, Comanche County, July 11, 12 and 13. Elder M.W. Dumas preached the first sermon; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk.

Correspondence was received from New Harmony, Pilot Grove, Bosque River, Little Flock, Friendship and Unity Associations.

The association had 14 churches, 527 members; contribution, $19.50.

1903 The association convened this year with Hopewell Church, July 10, 11 and 12. Elder S.A. Paine preached the first sermon; Elder W.S. Harris, moderator, W.B. Hedgpeth,clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock, Unity, Friendship and Pilot Grove Associations. Correspondence was dropped with the New Harmony Association "Until satisfaction can be had."

The association had 14 churches, 491 members; contribution, $19.00.

1904 The association met this year with Betheny Church, July 8, 9 and 10. Elder W.Y. Norman preached the first sermon; Elder S.A. Paine, moderator; W.B. Hedgpeth, clerk. Sabana Church was received.

Correspondence was received from Unity, Duffau, Little Flock, Bosque River, Pilot Grove and Friendship Associations.

The association had 15 churches, 572 members; contribution, $26.75.

1905 The association met this year with Bethlehem Church, July 7, 8 and 9. The first sermon was preached by Elder A.P. Koen; Elder S.A. Paine, moderator, B.F. White,clerk.

Correspondence was received from Unity, Duffau, Little Flock, Bosque River, Pilot Grove and Friendship Associations.

The association had 15 churches, 592 members; contribution, $28.30.

In 1906, the associations had 15 churches, 552 members; 11 ordained ministers; contribution, $24.00.


PRIMITIVE CHURCH

Primitive Church was organized September 26, 1885 at South Bennett Schoolhouse, in Hamilton County, by Elders W.S. Harris, A.P. Koen, and Deacons W.H. Kemp and C.H. Koen, with the following members: Elder R.W. Hartell and wife, Mary Harrell, Sister P.H. Tucker, Lenora Wilcox, Wallace Williams, Jasper Nixon, Dallas Wood, W.B. Jones and wife, M.A. Jones.

Elder R.W. Harrell was choosen pastor and Elder W.S. Harris, assistant pastor, at the time the church was constituted, in which capacity they continued till April 1888; when Elder A.P. Koen was called and served the church till November 1889; when Elder Harrell was called again. Elder Harrell was dismissed by letter in June 1893, but continued as the pastor of the church until December 1896. Elder S.R. Woods was called to the care of the church on Saturday before the second Sunday in March 1897.

Elder J.B. Dumas joined the church by letter from Bethlehem Church in Coryell County and was regularly dismissed in June 1891.

Elder W.J. Hester joined by letter in September 1893, and died on Saturday before the 4th Sunday in June 1894, a member of this church.

Elder L.D. Barnhart joined the church by letter in September 1900, and was granted a letter of dismission in March 1901.

Elder W.W. Fowler was received by letter in August 1903 and is still a member of this church.

In 1906, Dr. Fowler was called as an assistant pastor with Elder Woods.


UNION CHURCH

Union Church was organized March 14, 1892, at Lampkin, Comanche County, by Elders W.C. Burks, A.P. Koen and W.G. Green and Deacons W.F. Bryan and J.H. Caudle, with the following members: John Manning, J.C. Clayton and wife, J.W. Hamilton, N.J. Hamilton, G.R. Hamilton, A.B. Neal and wife, and J.A. Stevens and wife.

Elder W.G. Green served the church till 1894, at which time Elder A.P. Koen was called and served till February 1905. Since that time, the church has had no regular pastor.


ANTIOCH CHURCH

Antioch Church was organized in Hamilton County, February 3, 1894, by Elder A.P. Koen and Deacons A.B. Neal, L.E. Waldrip and T.L. Wesley, with the following members: J.M.D. Carter, J.M. Smith, J.T. Allison, F.E. Allison, E. White, B.E. Carter, Amanda Evans, H.M. Whitney, M.J. McKenen and Martha Drew.

Elder A.P. Koen served the church till 1905, when Elder J.R. Sims was called and is still serving the chuch.


CLEAR CREEK CHURCH

Clear Creek Church was constituted August 28, 1897, five miles west of Killeen, in Coryell County, by Elders W.S. Harris, J.B. Downing, Jasper Chambers and A.V. Arkins with the following members: Elder W.Y. Norman, J.T. Holmes, W.I. Norman, Fanny Norman, D.W. Holmes and wife, Fanny Holmes and Samantha J. Dunn.

Tommie A. Dunn was ordained to the ministry, May 20, 1905, by Elders A.V. Atkins, M.W. Dumas, A.B. Chambers and W.Y. Norman. Elder T.A. Dunn was dismissed by letter in November 1906.

Elder W.Y. Norman served the church till September 1906, when Elder W.J.D. Bradford was called.


MT. OLIVE CHURCH

Mt. olive Church was organized July 28, 1899, about 16 miles northeast of Goldthwaite in Mills County, by Elders W.S. Harris, F.D.L. Koen, W.W. Fowler, S.R. Woods, W.G. Green and Deacons O.H. Hedgpeth and T.J. Wesley, with the following members: J.D. and Elizabeth Calaway, M.A. Wilcox, A.B. and P. Neal, A.B. Neal, Jr., J.S. and L.C. Hodges, S.D. Roberts, J.M. and Nora Smith, Mary Caraway, Thomas and N.O. Huckabee, F.L. McDonald, Martha Parker, C.H. Koen, J.R. Furgerson and Katie Calaway.

Elder W.W. Fowler served the church from its constitution till December 1899. From January 1900, till February 1901, Elder A.P. Koen served the church. Elder S.R. Woods was chosen in February 1901, and is still pastor of the church.


MOUNT UNION CHURCH

Mt. Union Church was constituted March 30, 1901, six miles east of Goldthwaite, Mills County, by Elders W.S. Harris, S.R. Woods and Deacons T.R. Wilcox, J.C. West and C.H. Koen, with the following members: W.H. and A.B. Gillentine, Elder L.D. Barnhart, Ida Barnhart, V.E. Barnhart, Licentiate G.R. Moxley, A.E. and Mary Cook, and B.R. Franklin.

Elders Barnhart and S.R. Woods preached for this church alternately a few years. Elder Sam Roberts is the present pastor.


CORINTH CHURCH

Corinth Church was constituted on Saturday before the 4th Sunday in December 1906, at Friendship Schoolhouse, near Adamsville, in Lampasas County, by Elders W.Y. Norman, A.B. Chambers, M.W. Dumas, Jasper Chambers, J.N. Watson and Deacon W.M. Lester, with the following members: D.W. and T.D. Hatley, I.B. Jinnings, George Hatley, Martha Hatley, Margaret Harley, R.B. Hester, Eva Hester, John Dooly, Mary Dooly, Mary Strally and S.E. Dumas.

After the church was organized Elder W.Y. Norman joined the church by letter; also Elder M.W. Dumas.

Elder W.Y. Norman is the pastor of the church.

This church at present does not belong to an association but as it is in the bounds of Old Harmony, it is likely to join that association at her next session.


HOPEWELL CHURCH

Hopewell ChUrch was constituted on June the 5th 1875, on Green Creek in Erath County, by Elder L.W. Harvey and Deacons J. Riles and G.B. Harvey, with the following members: J. Riles and wife, Elizabeth Riles, G.B. Harvey and wife, Emily Harvey, F. Loden and wife, J.S. Loden, S.J. Loden and Nancy Pulattee.

Elder L.W. Harvey was pastor of the church till October 1884, when Elder A.V. Atkins was chosen and served a year or more, when in April 1888, Elder R.A. Biggs was chosen and served about two years, when Elder B.J. Driver was called and he also served the church a few years, when Elder J.W. Poe was called. After Elder Poe, Elder S.A. Paine was chosen and he and Elder J.B. Denton have had the care of the church since that time.


SALEM CHURCH NUMBER TWO

Salem Church, Number Two, was constituted in 1871 or 72, (not sure which, as the old church records are destroyed) about eight miles north of Gatesville, in Coryell County, by Elder W.C. Purcell and Deacons William Miller and A. White, with the following members: Elder W.C. Purcell, A. White and wife, Nancy White, William Miller, R. Griffin, Mary Williams, Sister Reeder, Sarah McCalister and Sister McGee.

Elder Purcell served the church until about 1875 when Elder E.M. Weeks was called and served until 1880, when Elder Purcell was called in connection with Elder C.A. Russell. These brethren served the church together until the death of Elder Purcell, which occured in April 1896. Elder Russell then served until September 1898, when Elder M.W. Dumas was called and served till 1901, when Elders Jasper and A.B. Chambers, father and son, were called and served till December of the same year, when Elder C.T. Nance was called in connection with Elder A.B. Chambers. These preachers served the church till May 1904.

In May 1886, J.P. Pilkerton was ordained to the ministry by Elders E.M. Weeks, W.C. Purcell, J.A. Norton, C.Ao Russell and J.B. Downing and, in 1887, Elder Pilkerton was dismissed by letter.

Since 1904 Elders A.B. Chambers and R.P. Littlepage who are the present pastors, have served the church.


SARDIS CHURCH

Sardis Church was constituted June 10, 1876, in Langford Cove, Coryell County, by Elders W.S. Harris and W.C. Burks, with the following members: W.M. West, M.W. Dumans, R. Burke, S.M. Murphy, F.B. Brown, Elizabeth West, Nancy Dumas, A. Burks, R.N. Jeffrey, B.E. Lee, W.F. Chambers, J.B. Dumas, J.G. Caudle, Jasper Chambers, Phoeba Murphy, Susan Brown, Polly Ann Dumas, Rebecca Lee, Rebecca Jeffrey, Margaret H. Lee and Elizabeth Dumas.

The church called Elder W.S. Harris, who served the church till about the time of the ordination of A.P. Koen. Elder Harris joined the church by letter from Little Flock Church at Farmersville in Collin County. It was in this church that W.S. Harris was ordained.

Brother Harris was dismissed from Sardis Church and joined Lebanon Church at Pottsville, where his membership was when he died a few years ago.

A.P. Koen was ordained to the ministry on April 11, 1885 by Elders W.S. Harris, R.A. Biggs and others.

R.P. Littlepage was ordained to the ministry in December 1902, by Elders J.C. and A.B. Chambers, F.D.L. Koen, M.W. Dumas and A.P. Koen.

Elder A.P. Koen has been the pastor of the church from about the time he was ordained to the present time.

Elder F.D.L. Koen joined the church by letter and in a few years he was dismissed and joined Lebanon Church at Pottsville, where his membership is at present.

In September 1902, the church declared non-fellowship with the predestination of all things, including sin.


BETHLEHEM CHURCH

Bethlehem Church was constituted June 16, 1877 in Coryell County, by Elders W.S. Harris, W.C. Burks and W.H. Sivley and Deacons T.J. Harris, S.M. Murphy and Radford Burke with the following members: G.W. Pouncey and wife, F.A. Standard, Jasper Chambers, Elizabeth Chambers, W.F. Chambers, M.W. Dumas, N.E. Dumas, Joel B. Dumas, R.N. Jeffrey, Rebecca Jeffrey and J.C. Carroll.

Elder W.S. Harris served the church till 1880, when Elder E.C. Mauldin was called with Elder Harris in 1881. Elder Harris continued to serve the church till 1884, when Elder N. Barrow was called to the pastoral care of the church, in which capacity he served till September 1887, when Elder M.W. Dumas was chosen pastor.

Brother M.W. Dumas was ordained to the ministry in March 1884 by Elder W.S. Harris and Deacon Jasper Chambers.

Joel B. Dumas was ordained to the ministry in September 1886 by Elders W.S. Harris, W.C. Burks, Nathan Barrow, M.W. Dumas and Deacons William Kinsey, Clabe Koen, A.W. Hatley, Jasper Chambers and A.B. Chambers.

A.B. Chambers was ordained to the ministry in 1891 by Elders P.M. Lancaster, F.D.L. Koen, M.W. Dumas, J.B. Dumas, and Deacons William Kinsey, W.M. Lester, Jasper Chambers and Arthur Harley.

Jasper Chambers was ordained to the ministry in 1897 by Elders R.S. Kirkland, A.B. Chambers, F.D.L. Koen, M.W. Dumas and Deacons W.B. Hedgepeth, R.B. Hester, A.W. Harley and W.J.D. Bradford.

J.N. Watson was ordained to the ministry in 1906 by Elders W.Y. Norman, A.P. Koen, E.M. Weeks, M.W. Dumas, A.B. Chambers, Jasper Chambers and Deacons T.F. Dossy, B.L. Bray, R.B. Hester, A.W. Harley, W.B. Hedgepeth and William Lester.

Sylvester Guthrie was ordained to the ministry in September 1906 by Elders A.B. Chambers, M.W. Dumas, J.N. Watson and Jasper Chambers and two or three deacons.

In 1902, the church declared non-fellowship for the predestination of all things, including sin.

Elder A.B. Chambers has served the church since his ordination.


LEBANON CHURCH

Lebanon Church was constituted November 3, 1883 at Pottsville, Hamilton County, by Elders W.S. Harris, W.C. Burks and M.H. Hutchison, with the following members: Purline Moore, Exah Burks, Cordelia McPherson, Molly Chapman, Sarah E. Bryan, Molly McPherson, William McPherson, T.J. Burks, F.W. Bryan and J.W. Clayton.

Elder W.S. Harris served the church from its constitution till just before his death, which occured October 4, 1903.

R.W. Harrell was ordained to the ministry in August 1885 by Elders W.C. Burks, W.S. Harris and Nathan Barrow.

Elder W.S. Harris joined the church by letter in November 1885. Elder W.C. Burks joined the church by letter in May

1906. lder F.D.L. Koen Joined the church by letter in May 1891.

W.W. Fowler was ordained to the ministry the first Sunday in May 1897 by Elders W.S. Harris, W.C. Burks and A.P. Koen.

J.R. Sims was ordained to the ministry on the first Sunday in October 1904 by Elders J.B. Downing, S.R. Woods and A.P. Koen.

Elder S.R. Woods and J.R. Sims have served the church since the death of Elder Harris.


NEW HOPE CHURCH

New Hope Church was constituted November 24, 1883, on Honey Creek in Hamilton County, by Elders W.S. Harris, M.H. Hutchison and J.B. Taylor, with the following members: B.J. Howard, R. Howard, Nancy Howard, A.B. Neal and Pernecia Neal.

Elder A.P. Koen served the church for quite a number of years. During his pastorate with this church, it had quite a lot of trouble over the predestination of sin, Jack Stephens advocating the doctrine while the pastor and the church apposed it. The church finally excluded Stephens. Since which time, the church has been in peace, and has built a nice house in which to worship.

Elder J.B. Denton is their present pastor.


PILGRIM REST CHURCH

Pilgrim Rest Church was organized on Saturday before the first Sunday in November 1886, in Lampasas County, by Elders W.S. Harris, M.W. Dumas, R.W. Harrell, A.P. Koen, J.B. Dumas and Nathan Barrow, with the following members: O.E. Lester, M.E. Lester, William Kinsey, Nancy A. Kinsey, Jesse Cooley, Nancy Cooley, T.H. Wicker, M.A. Wicker, M.B. Hatley, M.P. Harley, F. Hester, Sarah Hester and Sally King.

Elder N. Barrow served the church till August 1888, when Elder A.P. Koen was called and served until 1890, when Elder E.M. Weeks was called but only served a short while for in September 1890, Elder M.W. Dumas was chosen and served till January 1892, when Elder A.B. Chambers was called, in which capacity he is still serving .

In November 1901, the church unanimously passed resolutions of non-fellowship against the predestination of all things, including sin.


FRIENDSHIP CHURCH

Friendship Church was constituted March 9, 1889, at Gatesville, in Coryell County, by Elders N.Barrow and J.A. Norton, with the following members: B.W. Hunneycutt, J.J. Stovall, J.J. Curlee, Burlinda Hunneycutt, and M.J. Stovall.

Elder Nathan Barrow served the church from its organization till his death, which occurred August 25, 1890. In the same year that Elder Barrow died, Elder W.C. Purcell was called to the care of the church, in which capacity he served till April 1892, when Elders J.W. Rector and A.B. Chambers were called. The latter is still faithfully serving the church.

For several years the church has met at a schoolhouse near the residence of Brother B.I. Brays, several miles from where it was constituted.

Last Updated ( Friday, 13 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.