header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: New Harmony Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: New Harmony Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

NEW HARMONY ASSOCIATION

New Harmony Association was constituted by a mutual division of the churches in the Old Harmony Association.

The first session was held with Concord Church at Willow Springs, in Comanche County, August 19, 20 and 21, 1892 Elder S.N. Stephens preached the introductory sermon; Elder M.H. Hutchison, moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

The following churches, all from the Old Harmony Association, were in the organization of this association, viz: Ephesus, Comanche County; Concord, Willow Springs, Antioch, Shiloh, Sarepta, Smyrna, Friendship and Hordes Creek. Mt. Zion, Macedonia and Corinth joined after the association was organized.

Correspondence was received from the Old Harmony Association. Correspondence was asked for from Little Flock and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 12 churches and 249 members; contribution, $20.50.

1893 The association met this year with Smyrna Church, Brown County, August 25, 26 and 27. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Kilgore, who was moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Little Flock, Old Harmony and Primitive Baptist Associations.

"On motion, we endorse the action of Old Harmony in republishing the protest against the Carlton Book and ordered the protest printed in our minutes." As the protest is published in the history of the Old Harmony Association, I think it unnecessary to insert it here.

The association had 12 churches and 325 members; contribution, $18.75.

1894 This year the association met with Sarepta Church, Mills County, August 26, 27 and 28. The initial sermon was ,reached by Elder W.G. Green, while Elder J.C. Kilgore was koderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Beulah Church, Brown County, was received by the association this year.

Correspondence was received from Friendship, Little Flock, Old Harmony and Unity Associations.

This year the association had 13 churches and 320 members; contribution, $18.75.

1895 This year the association met with Friendship church, Brown County, August 23, 24 and 25. The first sermon was preached by Elder R.W. Harrell; Elder J.C. Kilgore, moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Antioch Church, McCulloch County, was received by the association.

Correspondence was received from the Old Harmony, Little Flock and Unity Associations.

The association had 14 churches and 375 members; contribution, $20.50.

1896 This year the association convened with Antioch Church, Number One, August 21, 22 and 23. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.F. Richardson. This year the association had the same moderator and clerk.

Shiloh Church of Stevens County made application for membership in the association, but as the association was not fully satisfied with her order, the matter of reception was referred to the churches for their consideration.

Correspondence was again received from Friendship, Little Flock, Old Harmony, Bosque River and Unity Associations.

The association this year had 14 churches and 418 members; contribution, $21.25.

1897 This year the association assembled with the Church at Willow Springs, July 16, 17 and 18. Elder S.N. Stephens preached the first discourse. The association had the same moderator and clerk as heretofore.

Shiloh Church, that petitioned for membership last year was at this session of the association, unanimously received.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony Association.

This year the association had 15 churches and 449 members; contribution, $22.25.

1898 The association convened this year with Ephesus and Corinth Churches at DeLeon, August 26, 27 and 28. Elder E.W. Needham preached the first sermon; the association had the same moderator and clerk.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony, Friendship, Little Flock and Unity Associations.

"Agreed to suspend correspondence with Unity Association, seeing she has received a church that we think is in disorder."

The association had 14 churches (Macedonia did not represent) and 448 members; contribution, $21.50.

1899 The association convened with Mt. Zion Church, Mills County, August 25, 26 and 27. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Brinson. No change was made in the moderator and clerk.

Correspondence was received from 01d Harmony, Little Flock and Bosque River Associations.

Corinth Church was given a letter of dismission and was in the constitution of Duffau Association.

The association had 15 churches and 471 members; contribution, $19.50.

1900 The association met this year with Hordes Creek Church, Coleman County, August 24, 25 and 26. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.J. Edwards; Elder J.C. Kilgore, moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Little Vine Church of Runnels County was received by the association. This was the first Primitive Baptist Church organized in the county. It was organized at a schoolhouse near the residence of I.N. Lewis, about eight miles north of Bailinger. It is now dissolved.

Correspondence was received from Friendship, Old Harmony and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 15 churches and 515 members; contribution, $21.50.

1901 The association met this year with Sarepta Church, Mills County, August 23, 24 and 25. The initial discourse was delivered by Elder S.R. Woods. No change was made in moderator and clerk.

Pioneer Church was received by the association.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony, Friendship and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 15 churches (Concord had for some cause, not represented since 1899) and 582 members; contribution, $23.75.

1902 This year the association met with Beulah Church, Brown County, August 1, 2 and 3. The first sermon was preached by Elder J.C. Kilgore, who was moderator, and W.G. Green, clerk.

Mt. Olive and Live Oak Churches were received by the association.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony Association.

This year the association had 17 churches and 541 members; contribution, $25.40.

1903 The association met with Friendship Church, Brown County, August 21, 22 and 23. The first sermon was preached by Elder S.N. Stephens. The Association had the same moderator and clerk.

"Called for correspondence and agreed to suspend correspondence with all the associations with whom we correspond until matters become more settled."

"The request of three of the churches to drop from the association compact certain unnamed churches was declared out of order by the moderator."

The association had 16 churches and 461 members; contribution, $23.50.

1904 The association met this year with Smyrna Church, Brown County, August 27, 28 and 29. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.J. Edwards, who was moderator, and J.H. Alldredge, clerk.

Sardis Church from Brown County was received into the association.

"The request of Sarepta and Mt. Zion churches was taken up and agreed to grant the request to drop the following named churches from this association: Ephesus, Concord, Willow Springs, Antioch No. 1, Shiloh, Macedonia and Shiloh No. 2.

The following circular letter will explain why the above churches were dropped from the association.

CIRCULAR LETTER

"To the churches composing New Harmony Association, together with all other orderly Primitive Baptist Churches, greeting:

There having been a division among our churches, we have thought that the cause demanded that we publish the facts by way of a circular letter, as follows: Shiloh Church of our Association having recognized excluded factions from New Hope and Hopewell Churches in Old Harmony Association as an orderly church, without any gospel labor with the churches that excluded them. Smyrna Church being grieved with said act of Shiloh Church, did on Saturday before the third Sunday in July 1903, prefer charges against Shiloh Church and did by letter and messengers wait upon Shiloh Church at their regular meeting, Saturday before the fourth Sunday in July 1903, and continue to labor with them until November 1903, and having failed to bring about reconciliation, did at their regular meeting in November withdraw fellowship from said Shiloh Church and declared non-fellowship against the disorder some churches are holding to in receiving excluded members from sister churches without any gospel labor. The action of Smyrna Church being ignored by some of the churches, Smyrna submitted her official action to all the churches of New Harmony Association, and all the churches now composing the New Harmony Association have in their conferences endorsed the official actions of Smyrna Church in her dealings with Shiloh Church. Those churches that are dropped from our associational compact have endorsed Shiloh Church. We recognize as Hordes Creek Church Proper, that part of Hordes Creek Church that has gone into the West Providence Association. The churches that now compose the New Harmony Association have in their conferences recognized the minority of Friendship Church as the church in order, upon satisfactory acknowledgments made by them and submitted to all the churches. We recognize that there is a difference in doctrine between us and those churches we have dropped. We cannot fellowship their extreme views on predestination.

Elder S.R. Woods

Elder J.J. Edwards

Elder R.B. Smith

J.H. Alldredge."

The association had 8 churches and 225 members; contribution, $11.50.

1905 This session of the association was held with Antioch Church, San Saba County, August 25, 26 and 27. The first sermon was preached by Elder S.R. Woods; Elder J.J. Edwards, moderator, and J.H. Alldredge, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Old Harmony and West Providence Associations.

The association had 8 churches and 224 members; contribution, $14.45.

In 1906 the association had 8 churches and 217 members, 4 ordained ministers and 2 licentiates; contribution, $12.25.

SMYRNA CHURCH

Smyrna Church was constituted April 19, 1879, eight miles east of Brownwood, Brown County, by Elders W.C. Burks, M.H. Hutcheson and Deacons Radford Burks, Thomas Harris and Brother Lee with the following members: Richard Jenkins, A. Candler, Mary J. Candler, T.E. Brown and Alice Brown.

Elder Hutcheson served the church till March 1884, when Elder W.C. Burks was called and served till May 1885, when Elder A.P. Koen was chosen and served till March 1894, at which time Elder W.S. Harris was called and served till November 1902, since which time Elder J.J. Edwards has had the pastoral care of the church.

Elder R.B. Smith joined the church by letter March 19, 1904, and was dismissed by letter in September 1904.

ANTIOCH CHURCH

Antioch Church was constituted June 28, 1879, one mile southwest of the present town of Holt, San Saba County, by Elders W.S. Harris, W.C. Burks and M.H. Hutcheson, with the following members: Peter and E.J.S. Lee, Radford Burks, R.N. Jeffreys and W.J. Roberts.

Soon after the church was organized part of the members moved away and some of them died, consequently the church had no regular meeting for nearly twenty years. The records show that the church was revived by Elder J.K. Molcomb, and the first conference was held after the church was revived February 14, 1892, and at that time Elder J.K. Holcomb was called to serve the church, and in September of the same year he joined the church by letter.

Elder J.C. Kilgore served the church in 1896. Elder S.R. Woods then served till 1901, when Elder J.J. Edwards was called and is still pastor of the church.

Elder $.R. Woods joined the church by letter in March 1897, and was dismissed by letter in July 1901.

Elder J.J. Edwards joined the church by letter in September 1902.

SAREPTA CHURCH

Sarepta Church was organized May 17, 1890 in Jones Valley on the Colorado River in Mills County, by Elders W.S. Harris, R.W. Harrell and Deacons T.R. Wilcox and Brother Bryant, with the following members: G.B. Harvey, E.M. Harvey, J.J. Alldredge, C.A. Alldredge, P.E. Harris, Drucilla Harris, L.F. Harvey and S.R. Harvey.

Elder R.W. Harrell was called to the pastoral care of the Church and served till 1897. Elder Harrell joined the church by letter in July 1893, and in December 1896, he was dismissed by letter.

Elder L.W. Harvey joined the church by letter in September 1891, and died a member of the church a few years ago.

Elder S.R. Woods, in February 1897, was chosen pastor of the church. In August 1901, he joined the church by letter.

Elder J.W. Perkins joined the church by letter in August 1901.

Joel Alldredge was ordained to the ministry on Saturday before the first Sunday in September 1904, by Elders S.R. Woods, J.W. Perkins and J.J. Edwards.

Elder J.W. Perkins is pastor of the church at present.

MT. ZION CHURCH

Mt. Zion Church was constituted August 6, 1892, six miles north of Mullin at the Duran Schoolhouse in Brown County, by Elders W.S. Harris, W.G. Green, B.P. Lewis and A.P. Koen, with the following members: N.J. Tyson, S.C. Tyson, W.J. Smith, J.W. Elliott, Martha Elliott, E.W. Wilson, T.W. and Sister Hooten, L.J. Mauldin and Margarett Hooten.

Elders W.S. Harris and B.P. Lewis served the church jointly till March 1895, when Elder W.S. Harris was called and continued as pastor until his death.

Elder J.H. Holcomb joined the church by letter in January 1896, and was dismissed by letter in March 1902.

Elder S.R. Woods is the present pastor.

BEULAH CHURCH

Beulah Church was constituted September 9, 1893, about six miles south of Brownwood, Brown County, by Elders W.S. Harris, F.D.L. Koen and R.W. Harrell with the following members: W.W. Tyson, H.J. Butler, F.G. Denman, W.J. Heeling, M.E. Tyson, E.P. Butler, Elizabeth Clark, M.A. Denman and M.F. Hickman.

Elder Harris served the church until March 1903 when by his request he was released, and Elder J.J. Edwards was chosen. Elder R.A. Biggs is their present pastor.

SARDIS CHURCH

Sardis Church was constituted on Saturday before the 5th Sunday in August 1905, twelve miles northwest of Brownwood, Brown County, by Elders W.S. Harris, R.W. Harrell, J.J. Edwards and R. Jenkins and Deacons G.W. Eaton and A.J. Bardin, with the following members: H.J Butler, J.H. Butler, L.J. Mauldin, F.E. Turner, Sister E.P. Butler, M.F. Hickman, S.L. McArthur and S.F. McArthur.

In October 1903, Elder W.W. Fowler was called to the pastoral care of the church, in which capacity he served until April 1904, when Elder R.B. Smith was called and served a short while, when Elder J.B. Downing was called and is still serving the church.

Last Updated ( Monday, 18 September 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.