header image
Home arrow 50 Yrs Among The Baptists arrow History of the Ketocton Association-Chapter 1
History of the Ketocton Association-Chapter 1 PDF Print E-mail
Written by William Fristoe   

The Association in her Progress and Increase

THE association being formed, we have to inform the reader of its progress. In this instance we are not able to give an accurate statement; for the first three years, the churches did not make any regular return of their numbers, in which time five churches were constituted and joined the association. We find the number belonging to this body in the year 1770, to be 624.

A statement of the church at Chappawamsick was the first received into the association. This church was gathered chiefly by the instrumentality of Elder David Thomas. Violent opposition to the preaching of the Gospel appeared here, and worship sometimes prevented by the enemies of the same; but notwithstanding the opposition, the Lord God Omnipotent reigned, and the work of God prospered, so that in a little while a church was constituted, containing a considerable number of members, who joined the association August 17, 1767. This church proved a fruitful vine -out of her arose Elders William Fristoe, Daniel Fristoe, Jeremiah Moore, and William Grinstead.

Same year the church in New Valley, Loudoun County, was received into association -Elder Joseph Thomas, pastor.

August 1769, the church on Little River, Loudoun County, was received into the association. This church was gathered in under the preaching of Elder Thomas, and when constituted, Elder Richard Major was ordained their pastor, being one of those whose qualifications the church was satisfied with, and whose loving, tender carriage and plain manner of preaching, rendered him very acceptable among his people and popular abroad. He was advanced in years when he entered on the ministry, and continued pastor of the above church until his death, and died (we suppose) about threescore years old, leaving an ancient widow and several desolate congregations, to bewail their loss.

Same year the church on Mountain Run, Orange County, joined the association -Elder Nathaniel Saunders ordained their pastor. This last church was a part of the fruits of the ministry of Elder David Thomas.

In the year 1770, Birch Creek Church, Halifax County, joined the association -Elder John Creel their pastor .

About this time the church on Potomac Creek, Stafford County, was taken into association. This church was gathered in under the ministry of Elder William Fristoe. Something wonderful appeared in this church: the weakness of her members was in common such, that she was scarcely ever able to direct her own discipline, and yet out of her arose a number of useful, and some very eminent gifts, viz. Lunsford, Mason, Hickerson, and several others that are less known abroad.

In 1772 the church on Buck Marsh, Frederick County, was taken into association. When the Gospel prevailed in this place, the people were visited by different preachers, among which were Elders William and Daniel Fristoe; the two last went to preach to them every month during their gathering in, (tho’ the distance was about seventy miles,) until their constitutions were impaired; but some time after, neither Winter’s frost, nor Summer’s heat was to be dreaded –frowns of men, and rage of Devils must be borne, when the object was the winning a bride for, and the espousing of souls to Christ.

Same year the church on Thumb Run, Fauquier County, became a member of the association. This church was collected principally by the ministry of Elder William Fristoe, who continued to preach to them monthly, though he lived about forty miles from them.

Same year the church at great Bethel, Redstone Settlement, joined the association -Isaac Sutton, pastor.

In 1773 the church on Mad River, North Carolina, was received into association -William Hill their pastor.

Same year the church at Brentown, Fauquier County, was received into association -Elder Daniel Fristoe, pastor.

Same year a church at Seneca Creek, in the State of Maryland, was admitted into the association. Elder Daniel Fristoe attended this church, whose ministry had been blest for the gathering of them in, and subjecting them to the Gospel of Jesus Christ.
Same year the church in Fredericktown, State of Maryland, joined the association. This year, (1773) we find the sum total to be 1050.

In 1775 Linville’s Creek Church, Shenandoah County, joined our body -Elder John Alderson, pastor.

Same year, Ten Mile Creek Church, Patterson Creek Church, the church in Goshen, belonged to Redstone district. The preachers in that district, were Isaac Sutton, John Corbly, Joseph Barnett and James Sutton. At this time they both joined and requested a dismission, which request was granted in order to form an association westward of the Alleghany Mountain. The number dismissed for that purpose was 121.

In 1776, Occoquan Church, in Prince William County, gave themselves a member of this body. This church was under the care of Elder Thomas, being a part of the fruits of his labor.

In 1783, the churches of Shenandoah, and South River, Shenandoah County, became members of this association -Elder James Ireland, pastor of said churches.

In 1785, the church in Greenbrier County was received into association -Elder John Alderson, pastor.

Same year Battle Run Church, Culpeper County, joined the association.

About this time the church at Mount Poney, Culpeper County, became a member of this association. This church, since she was constituted, has passed through several revolutions of declensions and revivals, has had different pastors at different times, but for a number of years, Elder William Mason has been their stated pastor. Numbers have been baptized within her limits, and several useful public gifts have arisen in her. At her request she was dismissed from Ketocton, in order to join Culpeper association, in the year 1803.

In 1786 the church on Long Branch, Fauquier County, joined this association.

In the year 1787, the churches of Waterlick and North, in Shenandoah County, became members of the association.

In 1793, the church in Nanjemoy, State of Maryland, joined the association.

In 1794, the church at Rich Creek was received into association.

In 1797, Apequan Church, Berkeley County, joined the association.

In 1799, the church at Zoar, Jefferson County, joined this body -Christopher Collins, pastor.

In 1803, Tuscarora Church, Loudoun County, was admitted into the association -Elder William Thrift, pastor.

Same time received the church in Alexandria, Columbia District. This year the number belonging to this association, appears to be 2317.

In 1804, the church at Ebenezer, situate in Loudoun County, was received into association.

Several other churches belonging to this association, are not enumerated here, owing to their not being stated in our records, or we have overlooked them.

Last Updated ( Wednesday, 01 November 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.