header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Elk Creek Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Elk Creek Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   


ELK CREEK ASSOCIATION OF OKLAHOMA

This Association was organized with Pisgah Church in Ouachita County, July 18, 1902, with the following churches and messengers: from Pisgah Church, Ouachita (Washita) County, Elders A.M. Morris, W.N. Snelson and L.L. Coffey; Pleasant Hill Church, 0uachita County, Elder J.M. Hollis, A.J. Walker, J. Belknap and J.C. Mathis; Liberty Hill Church, Day County, Elder J.B. Donathan, J.W. Trimble and A.B. Keith.

Elder A.M. Morris preached the introductory sermon. Elder J.B. Donathan was chosen moderator, and A.B. Keith, clerk.

The association was organized with 3 churches, 54 members, and 3 preachers, to wit: Elders J.B. Donathan, A.M. Morris and J.M. Hollis; contribution, $6.50.

1903 This year the association met with Pleasant Hill Church, in Roger Mills County, Oklahoma, July 31 and August 1 and 2. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder J.B. Donathan, who was also elected moderator, and A.B. Keith, clerk.

Buffalo Church was received into the association by her messengers, Elder Moses Barton and Brethren A.B. Gilbert and S.H. Caudle; also Headquarters Church through her messengers, F.M. Martin and S.S. Finley.

Correspondence was received from the Panhandle-Oklahoma union meeting through her messengers, Elder J.R. McCarty and others.

The association petitioned the Salem Association of Texas for correspondence.

At this time, the association had 5 churches, total membership, 124; contribution, $12.50.

1904 The association met this year with Liberty Church, Day county, SeptemBer 2,3 and 4. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder A.M. Morris. Elder J.B. Donathan was elected moderator, and J.C. Clark, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Panhandle-Oklahoma Association through her messengers, Elders J.A. Jones, J.R. McCarty, W.G. Morris and Licentiate S.H. Boon; also a corresponding letter from the Salem Association of Texas, through her messenger, Elder P.M. Lancaster.

The association had 5 churches, total membership, 128; contribution, $12.00.

1905 The association convened this year with Buffalo Church, Roger Mills County, September 1, 2 and 3. Introductory sermon was preached by Elder Moses Barton. Elder J.B. Donathan was chosen moderator, and J.C. Clark, clerk.

Correspondence was received from the Panhandle-Oklahoma Association through her messengers, Elder J.A. Jones and Brethren S.H. and J.A. Boon; also a letter was received from the Salem Association of Texas, and correspondence returned.

During this session, the association petitioned the Wise County Association for correspondence.

The association this year had 5 churches, total membership, 150; contribution, $12.50.

In 1906, the association had 5 churches, 117 members and 4 ordained preachers; contribution, $12.65.


BUFFALO CHURCH

Buffalo Church was constituted on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in November 1893, at Fanshaw, Indian Territory, by Elders R.L. Piles and J.B. Little, with the following members: R.W. Lockett, J.W. Watkins, Eliza Watkins, E. Lockett and M.C. Parker, who was holding a letter from Magazine Church, in Yell County, Arkansas, which he said held to the doctrine that God had predestinated sin, which doctrine he did not believe, he was then received into the constitution of the church.

The first name of this church was Cole Creek. In October 1899, by mutual consent, the church was moved to Oklahoma, and the name changed to Buffalo.

The pastors of the church have been Elders J.B. Little and Moses Barton.

This church is a member of Elk Creek Association.


PISGAH CHURCH

Pisgah Church was constituted August 15, 1896, in Washita County Oklahoma, by Elders J.F. Dale and J.L. Hughes, with the following members: David Slone, J.J. Williams, Permella Hunt, Hannah Crawford and M.S. Williams.

Elder J.F. Dale was chosen pastor at the time the church was constituted.

In July 1898, the church extended an arm to Odessa in the eastern part of the county where Pleasant Hill Church was organized in 1900.

In August or September 1898, Elder Dale died. The church was then without a pastor until September 1899. Elders J.M. Hollis and J.B. Vandevender were called jointly to the pastoral care of the church. In 1900, Elder A.M. Morris was called to the care of the church.

The Elk Creek Association was organized with this church on Friday before the third Sunday in July 1902, of which body the church is still a member.


LIBERTY CHURCH

Liberty Church was constituted September 3, 1899, at Dewery Schoolhouse, in the southeast corner of Day County, Oklahoma, by Elder J.B. Donathan and Deacon A.B. Keith, with the following members: J.T. Cates and wife, Francis Cates, J.F. Donathan, wife of Elder J.B. Donathan, Mary Keith, wife of Deacon A.B. Keith, E.H. Cates and wife, Sarah Cares.

After the constitution of the church, Elder J.B. Donathan and Deacon A.B. Keith joined by letter.

Elder Donathan served the church as pastor until July 1905, when Elder A.M. Morris was called to the pastoral care of the church.

In August 1901, the church entered her solemn protest against the doctrine of predestination of all things, including sin.

The church was in the constitution of Elk Creek Association and is still a member of that body.


PLEASANT HILL CHURCH

Pleasant Hill Church was constituted October 6, 1900, Odessa, in Washita County, Oklahoma, by Elders A.M. Morris, J.G. Vandevender and J.M. Hollis, with the following members: T.J. Walker, F.I. Raven, Ira Hollis, J.A. Walker, D.F. Hollis, Julia Hollis, M.M. Walker, F.E. Colter, M.J. Weldon and A.A. Hollis.

This church was in the constitution of the Elk Creek Association in 1902.

Elders Morris and Vandevender served the church jointly till November 1901. Since that time, Elder A.M. Morris has had the pastoral care of the church.


HEADQUARTERS CHURCH

This church was organized May 11, 1905, at Headquarters Schoolhouse, Greer County, Oklahoma by Elders P.M. Lancaster, B.L. Throneberry, R.A. Wiseman and J.D. Parten, with the following members: W.M. Word, S.M. Word, J.C. Willis, M.E. Willis, F.M. Martin, M.J. Martin, J.N. Shelton and W.N. Martin.

Elders J.D. Parten, A.M. Morris and R.A. Wiseman have preached for this church since its organization.

The church does not believe that God purposed all things and will not allow it preached in her pulpit.

Headquarters Church is a member of Elk Creek Association.


NEW HOPE CHURCH

This church was constituted October 25, 1899, at Cottonwood Schoolhouse, Ford County, by Elders P.M. Lancaster, B.L. Throneberry and J.S. Woods, with the following members: R. Edwards, Ettie Edwards, T.M. Barmore and M.S. Muncus.

In March 1902, the church moved to Dalhart, Dallam County.

Elder J.S. Woods is the pastor of this church.

This church had six members in 1906.


EDEN VIEW CHURCH

Eden View Church was constituted February 10, 1906, in Roger Mills County, Oklahoma, by Elders J.B. Donathan, Moses Barton, David Utt, J.W. Higgins and Deacons W.M. Green and A.B. Keith, with the following members: George Chick and wife, Susan Chick, John Teague and wife, Lizzie Teague, Lizzie Caudle, Maggie Yadon, B.F. Caudill and wife, Lucy Caudle, Sophia House, D.C. Carter, N.J. Clark and M.A. Jones.

B.F. Caudill was ordained to the ministry February 10, 1906 by Elders J.B. Donathan, Moses Barton, David Utt and W.J. Higgins and Deacons W.M. Green and A.B. Keith.

Elder B.F. Caudill was called to the pastoral care of the church.

New Hope Church was likely the first Old Baptist Church constituted in Ford County. It does not belong to any association, neither does Eden View church.

Last Updated ( Friday, 27 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.