header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Hill County Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Hill County Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

HILL COUNTY ASSOCIATION

Hill County Association was organized on Friday before the third Sunday in September 1898, with Shiloh Church in Hill County, with the following churches and messengers: Shiloh, Elders J.M. Creel, D.S.G. Roberts and J.M. Nance; Culp, Elder R.A. Biggs and J.H. Childers; Cedar Creek, John Golohar and A.D. Oliphant; Eureka, Elder W.A. Bodine, J.T. McCray and S.C. Hamilton.

The 4 churches composing the association, when constituted were all in Hill County.

1899 The association met this year again with Shiloh Church, August 18, 19 and 20. The first sermon was preached by Elder R.A. Biggs, who was moderator, and S.G. Hamilton, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Primitive, Village Creek and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 4 churches and 70 members; contribution, $12.00.

1900 The association met with Culp Church, August 17, 18 and 19o The first sermon preached by Elder J.M. Creel; Elder R.A. Biggs, moderator, and B.T. Howard, clerk.

Little Zion Church, of Navarro County, was received by her messengers, S. Yates and M.S. Hux.

Correspondence was received from Bethel, Primitive, Village Creek and Bosque River Associations.

Eureka Church was dissolved this year.

The association had 5 churches and 117 members; contribution, $10.75.

1901 This year the association met with Cedar Creek Church, August 16, 17 and 18. Elder R.A. Biggs preached the first sermon and was also moderator, and J.H. Childers, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Primitive, Village Creek and Bosque River Associations.

The association had 5 churches and 135 members; contribution, $9.25.

1902 The association convened this year with Little Zion Church in Navarro County, July 1, 2 and 3. The initial sermon was preached by Elder E.R. Robinson who was chosen moderator, and J.H. Childers, clerk.

Correspondence was received from the Primitive and Chambers Creek Association. Elder W.J. Taylor of Arkansas attended this session of the association and his preaching was highly appreciated by his Texas brethren.

The association had 5 churches and 112 members; contribution, $13.50.

1903 The association met this year with Shiloh Church July 31 and August 1 and 2. The first sermon was preached by Elder D.W. Stanley of East Texas; Elder E.R. Robinson, moderator, and J.H. Childers, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Red River, Primitive, Chambers Creek, Village Creek, Pilot Grove and the Duffau Associations. Correspondence was suspended with Bosque River Association until she rid herself of the doctrine of the predestination of all things including sin.

The association had 4 churches and 124 members; contribution, $11.75.

1904 This year the association met with Culp Church August 5, 6 and 7. The first sermon was preached by Elder R.A. Biggs who was moderator, and J.M. Nance, clerk.

Waco Primitive Baptist Church by her messengers, M.W. Needham, T.M. Miller and J.R. Jennings, was received.

Correspondence was received from Primitive, Red River, Bosque River, Chambers Creek and Duffau Associations.

Little Zion Church did not represent and the Waco Church did not give number of members.

The association this year had 4 churches and 97 members; contribution, $14.50.

1905 The association this year met with Cedar Creek Church, August 4, 5 and 6. The first sermon was preached by W.H. Bodine who was chosen moderator, and M.W. Needham, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Primitive, Pilot Grove, Red River, Chambers Creek and Duffau Associations.

The association had 5 churches and 142 members; contributions, $13.00.

1906 The association had 5 churches 130 members, no ministers; contribution, $15.25.


SHILOH CHURCH

Shiloh Church was constituted on Saturday before the second Sunday in August 1881, on Mustang Creek in Johnson County, by Elders W.L. Rogers and Wilson Hefner. The records do not give the names of the charter members.

Elder W. Hefner was called to the pastoral care of the church at its constitution, and in July 1882, Elder Hefner joined the church by letter. Elder G.I. Thomas joined this church by letter from Buffalo Church in December 1883 and was called to serve the church in the same month and year. On Saturday before the second Sunday in June 1886, Elder Thomas was excluded from the church.

Elder Hefner was again called to the care of the church in 1887, and in November following, Elder Thomas Clark was called in connection with Elder Hefner.

J.B. Vann was ordained to the ministry, on Saturday before the first Sunday in September 1888, by Elders W.L. Rogers, W. Hefner and Thomas Clark. Elder Vann in now dead.

In July 1892, the church unanimously adopted the following resolutions: "Dear Brethren, as there is some confusion in regard to the doctrine of predestination of all things, we will say that we do not believe that sin and wickedness are the results of God's predestination and we will not have it advocated in our pulpit."

Elder W.L. Rogers preached for the church after the above resolution was passed.

Elder J.W. Putman joined the church by letter in November 1892, Elders Putman, Vann and Clark served the church from 1892 until 1894.

W.H. Bodine was ordained to the ministry March 14, 1896, by Elders B.F. Gasey and Thomas Clark, at which time Elder Bodine was called to the care of the church.

J.M. Creel was ordained to the ministry on the third Sunday in May 1897, by Elders Thomas Clark, W.H. Bodine and H.L. Griggs. Elder Creel was called jointly with Elder Bodine in September 1897. Elder Bodine was dismissed by letter in May 1898. Elder Creel was pastor from 1898 till September 1902, when Elder J.S. Newman was called to serve the church. Elder Creel was dismissed by letter from this church and was in the constitution of Prairie View Church, near Walnut Springs, Bosque County. Elder S.A. Paine served the church for a year or so after Elder Newman. Elder J.B. Denton is the present pastor.


LITTLE ZION CHURCH

Little Zion Church was organized October 23, 1893, at Cottonwood Schoolhouse, in Navarro County, by Elders J.P. May, T.J. Moore, J.W. Meredith and W.H. Harrell, with the followingmembers: B.T. Howard and wife, N.E. Howard, S. Taylor and wife, S.E.C. Taylor, L.M. Cook, J.H. Miller, W. Chancellor and wife, Mattie Chancellor, Sarah French and Harrison Hardeman.

Elder J.P. May was called to the care of the church soon after its constitution. In March 1895, Elder G.A. Paine was called to the care of the church and in September following, he and his wife joined the church by letter. "Brother George" as he was called served the church until his death. After Brother Paine died, Elder A.F. Grafton was called and served the church six years. In March 1901, Elder E.R. Robinson joined the church by letter from Zion's Rest Church in Louisiana.

In October 1901, the church declared non-fellowship for the doctrine that God had predestinated all things that come to pass, including sin.

In November 1892, Elder E.R. Robinson was called to the care of the church in connection with Elder J.B. Cottle. Elder J.W. Meredith was called to the care of the church in September 1894. In October 1904, S. Yates was ordained to the ministry by Elders S.C. Kyle, J.W. Meredith and Deacon J.J. Johnson. In March 1905, Elder S. Yates was dismissed by letter. Elder A.F. Grafton was called again in 1905, but only served a short while when Elder Willie Phillips was called and is still pastor of the church. Elder E.R. Robinson was lettered out of this church and is now in Louisiana.

The church first joined Primitive Baptist Association.


CEDAR CREEK CHURCH

Cedar Creek Church was organized on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in December 1896, near Huron, in Hill County, by Elders R.A. Biggs, H.L. Griggs and W.H. Bodine, with four members, three from Bosque Church, in Earth County, one from Shiloh Church, Hill County. I do not know who has had the pastoral care of the church. This church belongs to the Hill County Association.


CULP CHURCH

Culp Church was constituted September 18, 1897, at Culp, Hill County, by Elders R.A. Biggs and A.F. Grafton, with the following members: S.T. and M.A. Bridges, J.H. and E.A. Childers, M.E. Patterson and C. Patton.

Elder R.A. Biggs joined the church by letter and served the church as pastor till 1904, when he moved away and was given a letter of dismission the same year. Elder S.B. Kuykendall is the present pastor.


PRIMITIVE BAPTIST CHURCH

Primitive Baptist Church was constituted January 10, 1904, at Nallis Schoolhouse, in East Waco, by Elders J.W. Norton, A.V. Atkins, R.A. Biggs, J.H. Thompson and Deacons G.W. Dalton, J.H. Childers and T.A. Wells, with the following members: Molly L. Chaffin, Ann A. Helms, Annie Reviere, Laura B. Sedwich, M.W. Needham and wife, Nettie Needham.

In July 1904, the church bought what is known as the Bagly Chapel between South 4th and 5th, on Moore Street.

Elder R.A. Biggs, A.V. Atkins and Thomas Clark have served the church as pastors until the present time, 1906.

Last Updated ( Friday, 27 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.