header image
Home arrow Writers arrow J.S. Newman arrow History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Panhandle-Oklahoma Association
History of the Primitive Baptists in TX, OK, and Indian Territory: Panhandle-Oklahoma Association PDF Print E-mail
Written by J.S. Newman   

 

PANHANDLE-OKLAHOMA ASSOCIATION

This association was organized with Pilgrim's Rest Church, in Greer County, September 18, 1903, with the following churches: Wanders Creek Church, this church was near Chillicothe, Texas; Bethel Church near Paducah, Cottle County, Texas; Salt Fork Church, near Lea Crosse, Oklahoma; Pilgrim Rest Church, near Eldorado, Oklahoma.

J.A. Jones was chosen moderator, and B.H. Handley, clerk.

Correspondence was received from Elk Creek Association, by Elder A.M. Morris and Brethren S.H. Caudle and B.F. Caudle; from Salem Association of Texas, Elder H.C. Curington. Correspondence was returned.

The association this year had 4 churches and 85 members; contribution not recorded.

1904 On August 12, 13 and 14 of this year, the association convened with Bethel Church in Cottle County Texas. Elder W.H. Richards preached the introductory sermon.

It is the custom of the church where the association convenes to go into conference and transact the business of the association, as the business of the church.

Elder J.A. Jones was chosen moderator, and E.P. Donathan, clerk.

Lone Star Church of Hall County, Texas, was received into the association through her messengers, S.H., J.A. and E.F. Boon.

Correspondence was received from Elk Creek Association by Elders A.M. Morris and J.B. Donathan; from Salem Association of Texas, by Elder H.C. Curington. Correspondence was returned.

At this time the association had 5 churches and 137 members; contribution, $11.25.

1905 The association met this year with Lone Star Church in Hall County, Texas, August 11, 12 and 13. The introductory sermon was preached by Elder D. Utt. Elder J.A. Jones was elected moderator, and J.H. Boon, clerk.

Cottonwood Church of Dickens County, Texas by her messengers, S. Hardy, W.F. McCarty, J.J. McCarty and J.F. Roberts; Salem Church by her messengers, Elder W.J. Higgins, J.S. Saunders, S.P. Saunders and W.M. Higgins were received.

Correspondence was received from Elk Creek Association by her messengers, Elder D. Utt, Moses Barton and W.M. Green. Correspondence was returned.

The association this year had 7 churches and 143 members; contribution, $15.25.

In 1906 the association had 9 churches, 5 ordained ministers, 4 licentiates, 217 members; contribution, $18.00.

LITTLE HOPE CHURCH

Little Hope Church was constituted on Saturday before the second Sunday in October 1891, at the residence of S.O~ Fraziers, in King County, by Elders D.E. Elliott and J.J. Johns, with the following members: Elder D.E. Elliott, Elizabeth Elliott and Nancy Johns. This was the first Primitive Baptist church constituted in King County.

Elder D.E. Elliott, who was in the constitution of the church was from Pilgrim Rest Church in Haskell County.

Pilgrim Rest Church was constituted near the town of Haskell, and was the first Primitive Baptist Church in the county and, like Little Hope Church, never amounted to much on account of a continued drouth and a transient membership.

Elder J.J. Johns, who joined the church by letter when the church was constituted, was from Liberty Church in Henderson County, Texas.

The church after being organized unanimously passed the following resolution. "Resolved that we do not believe in the doctrine of fatality which identifies God with Satan and derives sin and holiness alike from the divine casuality, nor the second multiplication of Eve, nor on the spiritual germs of Satan shaking hands with the spiritual germs of Christ in Adam and Eve, nor in the doctrine of eternal children."

Elder Wilson Hefner joined the church by letter April 8, 1893.

Elder D.E. Elliott was dismissed by letter in August 1898.

The church did not meet in King County after August on the account of a continuous drough.

In January 1895, the church consolidated with Sharron Church at Jackson Springs Schoolhouse, in Wilbarger County. Elder Johns was the pastor of the church from the time it was organized till it consolidated with Sharron Church.

SHARRON CHURCH (Now)

Wanders Creek Church was constituted April 2, 1892, at Jackson Springs Schoolhouse, in Wilbarger County, by Elders P.M. Lancaster and A.L. Harris, with the following members: W.N. Caudle, Mary Caudle, M.A. Harris, W.O. Farrington and wife, and W.A. Goree and wife. This was the first Old Baptist Church organized in the county.

After the church was organized, Elder A.L. Harris joined the church by letter. He was also pastor of the church till May 1895, at which time Elder J.J. Johns was called to the pastoral care of the church, in which capacity he served till February 1897, when Elder Hughes was called.

In January 1896, Elder A.L. Harris was dismissed by letter and in July following, Elder J.J. Johns was dismissed by letter.

In April 1900, the name of the church was changed from Wanders Creek to Sharron.

In February 1901, Elder J.A. Jones was called to the care of the church, and in November following he joined the church by letter. He is still the pastor of the church.

BETHEL CHURCH

Bethel Church was constituted March 9, 1893 at Pleasant Hill Schoolhouse, in Cottle County, by Elder J.J. Johns, with the following members: J.F. Haynes, J.J. Thomas, C.A. Tommie, S.E. Thomas, E.J. Van Zant and T.J. Dillard.

Elder J.J. Johns was chosen to the pastoral care of the church in which capacity he served for several years.

Elder D.E. Elliott joined the church by letter in July 1895, at which time he was called to served the church, and served till July 1901.

In September 1900, W.G. Morris was ordained to the ministry by Elder D.E. Elliott and Deacons J.F. Haynes, S. McWhorter and W.O. Fartington.

In August 1901, Elder W.G. Morris was called to the care of the church and is still serving the church.

In May 1906, Elder D.E. Elliott was excluded for advocating the doctrine of absolute predestination of all things, and for affiliating with disorder.

The church now meets near Paducah, same county.

SALT FORK CHURCH

Salt Fork Church was constituted in 1901, in Oklahoma, by Elder Moses Barton and Deacon L.J. Ellis, with the following members: Elder J.R. McCarty and wife, Martha McCarty, and J.S. Boucher. These members were all holding letters from Bosque and Providence Churches of Erath County, Texas.

Elder J.R. McCarty is pastor of this church.

This church was in the constitution of the Panhandle and Oklahoma Association, of which body it is still a member.

PILGRIM REST CHURCH

Pilgrim Rest Church was constituted May 5, 1903, four and one half miles east of Eldorado, Oklahoma, by Elders J.A. Jones, J.R. McCarty and Deacons W.O. Farrington, A.A. DeShazo and Z.M. Wilson, with the following members: J.D. Handley, M.A. Handley, B.H. Handley, W.M. Fancher and Susan Fancher, from Wanders Creek Church in Wilbarger County, Texas, M.T. Gillintine and S.J. Gillintine from Bosque Church, Erath County, E.M. Robinson and wife from Walnut Creek Church in Tarrant County, Texas.

The church was constituted on the Articles of Faith of Salem Association.

Elder J.A. Jones was chosen pastor.

SALEM CHURCH OKLAHOMA

Salem Church of Oklahoma was constituted on Saturday before the third Sunday in September 1904, at Cold Creek Schoolhouse, by Elders P.M. Lancaster, David Utt, W.G. Morris, Moses Barton, J.A. Jones and J.R. McCarty, with the following members: J.S. Saunders, C.E. Saunders, M.A. Saunders, S.P. Saunders, W.J. and S.P. Higgins. These members were all from Salt Fork Church just after the church was constituted.

W.J. Higgins was ordained to the ministry by the above presbytery. Elder W.J. Higgins was called to the pastoral care of the church.

COTTONWOOD CHURCH

Cottonwood Church was constituted on Saturday before the third Sunday in September 1904, at Cottonwood Schoolhouse in Dickens County, by Elders J.R. McCarty, J.R. Bolinger and W.G. Morris, with the following members: J.J. McCarty, Mary E. McCarty, Daisie McCarty, Jennie McCarty, Willis McCarty, Wyley McCarty, Lewis McCarty, Stephen Harvey and Mary Harvey.

Elder W.G. Morris was called to the pastoral care of the church when it was constituted, in which capacity he is still serving.

Elder J.R. Bolinger joined the church by letter in May 1906.

This was the first Primitive Baptist Church organized in the county. While our people in some portions of the state are not holding their own, they are increasing all the time further west. Many of our people from Texas are going to Mexico, California, Oklahoma, and to other places.

LONE STAR CHURCH

Lone Star Church was constituted July 24, 1904, at Lake View Schoolhouse, by Elders J.A. Jones and H.C. Curington, and Deacons W.O. Fartington, Z.M. Wilson, A.A. DeShazo, S.G. Webb, W.H. Morgan and J.D. Handley, with the following members: S.H. Boon, M. Boon, F.E. Boon and Pearl Beckham.

Elder J.A. Jones was chosen to the pastoral care of the church at its organization and still serves in that capacity.

In 1904, the church joined the Panhandle-Oklahoma Association.

LIBERTY CHURCH

Liberty Church was constituted on Saturday before the fourth Sunday in March 1906, at Pleasant Hill Schoolhouse, in Cottle County, by Elders J.A. Jones, J.R. McCarty, H.L. Coilings, and Deacons J.H. Kays, W.O. Farrington, J.D. Handley, W.H. Morgan and W.T. Flowers, with the following members: J.J. Thomas and wife, Thomas Davidson and wife and E.J. Van Zant.

Elder J.A. Jones was called to the pastoral care of the church.

Last Updated ( Friday, 27 October 2006 )
< Previous   Next >

Purpose

The Primitive or Old School Baptists cling to the doctrines and practices held by Baptist Churches throughout America at the close of the Revolutionary War. This site is dedicated to providing access to our rich heritage, with both historic and contemporary writings.